Slot/Nickel CB: Trufant vs Lane

Greenhell

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":2glmes43 said:
even in his prime, tru was very mediocre. Now he's just bad. Dude would never get his heaed turned around on coverage. it was maddening.

Not only that but the guy just always looks out of position. He's a vet but appears to me the game moves to fast for him and he's always a step or two behind his coverage.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
I would like to see Lane, but the coaches seem to feel more comfortable with Tru in the slot because you know if they had confidence in Lane that he would already be up and running in the slot.

12evanf

Reaction score
Gus Bradley was on the KJR this morning talking about game planning for Atlanta. Mentioned their weapons and was asked about covering Gonzalez up the middle. He said something like "we are going to have to mix it up." Here's the link

cdallan

Reaction score
hawker84":qpxvgvcx said:
BASF:

we can agree to disagree, because Trufant is not good at covering in open spaces, he is constantly out of position and when he is in position he doesn't make the play, unless you want to count that tackle on Moss before the ball got there making a play.... i have nothing but love and admiration for trufant, but he is a liability.... the game films don't lie....

Naw, I'm with BASF on this one. Truf is playing slot because he is better suited than Lane to that, whilst they would play Lane outside. I think part of this board's problem with Tru is scheme related rather than his fault. He is asked to play a lot of zone in the middle with safety help over the top. If the QB gets too much time and finds a guy in a hole in the zone, orif Tru releases his man over the top, then if Tru makes the tackle it looks like he is trailing the play. His job is to keep the play in front of him and make the ta kle.
What has annoyed me about Tru for the last few years, is how much oc a cushion he ggives WRs. He always seemed to have a 10 yd cushion on 3rd and 7 when he was still being lined up wide. Likewise, there seem to be WRs catching the ball in front of him for first downs. The fact he is still play ing makes me suspect he is taking the drops he is being told to.