SI MMQB on Kaepernick

Status
Not open for further replies.

kearly

Reaction score
mretrade":3qk6ubns said:
How is his yards after catch significantly better? There YPC are virtually the same. I agree Boldin is not an ideal number 1. I think Crabtree is a solid number 1 but not elite. I agree Tate and Crabtree have similar skillsets.

"His yards per target, catch rate, and yards after catch are all significantly better than Crabtree's. " <-Show me proof of this.

Yards per target. Read better.

They do have similar skillsets. Great hands with great body control. Tate's more of a deep threat and that's where the rate stat separation comes from, most likely.

RE: the stats, you can look them up if you are so inclined. AdvancedNFLstats.com lists YPT and probably the rest as well. Tate's yards per target was the 2nd highest in the NFL last season. Crabtree was down the list quite a bit.

mretrade":3qk6ubns said:
How is his yards after catch significantly better? There YPC are virtually the same. I agree Boldin is not an ideal number 1. I think Crabtree is a solid number 1 but not elite. I agree Tate and Crabtree have similar skillsets.

But no one in their right mind can say Golden Tate is better than Crabtree. Production is number 1 in the NFL. You can't extrapolate his rate numbers to more catches and say it means he is better or even comparable. There is a reason he only had 688 yards compared to Crabtree's 1100 and it wasn't just only competition for catches.

We have no way of knowing for sure, but banking on counting stats is dumb. Put Tate, or shit, a fully healthy Doug Baldwin on an offense with no other WRs and a QB force feeding him with targets since he's predominantly a first read QB, and I'll show you a 1100+ yard WR. Put Crabtree on the Seahawks, and I'll show you a 600 yard WR with 8 TDs. Remember that Sidney Rice once had a 1300 yard season when he was the guy Favre kept forcing the ball to.

I'd be surprised if Crabtree has another 1100 yard season, but that's actually a good thing for you guys. Kaepernick is learning to check 2nd and 3rd reads. He's making real progress there. In a couple year's time, he could be utilizing a wider base of WRs and won't be locking on to a favorite target. And when he does, your offense will be pretty amazing, as if it wasn't really nice already.

AND TO THE SWARM OF 49ERS FANS IN HERE, I address this to all of you:

May both of our teams have a season for the ages. I hope this ends up the craziest, winningest race for a division crown in NFL history. The rest of the league is trying to hype our teams and rivalry to the moon. Let's hope our teams don't let them down.

kearly

Reaction score
BTW Scotte, when I google "stacked reads" NFL, I get just 1 return on google (the return in question should be obvious).

I think I can guess what stacked reads means, but can you articulate it?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kearly":24dkzins said:
BTW Scotte, when I google "stacked reads" NFL, I get just 1 return on google (the return in question should be obvious).

It's my term. I have my own secret language.

I will give you a perfect example. The long TD pass to Walker vs the Pats. When Kap looks up from play action to find his target, he actually has 3 Niners in a mostly straight line of vision down the right side numbers. Walker deep, Another shorter, though still about 15-20 yards, and a rb short. The safety has edged towed the middle target, so deep it is. Stacked. And perfectly executed. Alex would have run the same play and thrown to the RB, which is the real reason he lost his starting job.

Marvin49

Reaction score
kearly":11a2vsz0 said:
I knew you guys would say that. For the record:

Crabtree... he's a solid WR, but not a #1. If he's a #1, Golden Tate's a #1 (Tate's rate numbers are actually quite a bit better than Crabtree's, he just has more competition for targets).

Boldin is old and has very little regular season production in recent seasons. First it was Braylon Edwards, then Randy Moss, now it's Boldin.

Further, both are possession WRs. SF needs playmakers there. Patton looks good, but he's just another possession WR. There's nothing wrong with stockpiling possession WRs if you have a good enough QB, but SF's WR crew was always average at best and non-elite QBs tend to benefit from #1 WRs more. I'm sure this is why SF drafted Jenkins last year. It was a swing on a high upside #1 type. It was a horrible pick, even at the time, but imagine if they had spent two 3rd rounders to bring in Brandon Marshall instead. That would be something.

Gonna have to completely disagree on the Crabtree statement. He is a #1 receiver.

You can't really tell tho by looking at his career numbers. You can tell by the enormous jump in his play when the QB change was made. Leaving out the Rams Tie game because both QBs played in that one....this is the breakdown...

Alex Smith: In 8 games, 39 catches, 440 yards yards, 11.28 per catch, 3 TDs
Kaep: In 10 games, 61 catches, 880 Yards, 14.42 per catch, 8 TDs

In his ENTIRE CAREER Crabtree had 4 100 yard games before Kaep took over. With Kaep at QB, he had FIVE including 172 against the cards. Just like Percy Harvin, there are receiving stats that you kinda have to throw out the window because of who was throwing the ball and running the offense. The only difference here is that we have actually SEEN Crab with a better Coach and QB and he has already produced. He had 1100 yards and 9 TDs as it is, but if you prorated the average of those 10 games over a 16 game season you'd get 97 catches, 1408 yards and 14 TDs.

How is that NOT a #1 WR...especially on a run driven team?

As for Boldin...you could very well be right...but I think Boldin has alot more left in the tank than Moss or Braylon did. Neither of those guys was coming off a postseason like Boldin was and I happen to think that his production fell off like it did because of the offense he played in there in Baltimore. Hell, they fired their OC last year and Boldin blew up afterward.

The big thing tho is that I don't think they NEED Boldin to get 1100 or 1200 yards. They need him to pic up first downs on 3rd down. I don't expect him to be Crabtree. I want him to be the same Anquan Boldin he's been recently.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1zvskwsm said:
Lets keep it real.

Boldin is a great, not good, but great hands catcher with a severe lack of speed, but superior body control and the ability to separate with moves and mass. Boldin is tough as hell. Seriously, someone broke his head and he came back in a couple of weeks. He didn't like playing second fiddle to Fitzgerald, but going to Baltimore, while not a statistical win, got him a ring. As he ages, he only gets slower. With age comes injury risk.

On the OP. He is only partially correct. You Niner fans hate my take, but it is way nicer than the writer of that article. Against the Vikes, Kaep threw one interceptable pass. it was a true play action, where he turns his back to the D on the play action, and then re-establishes eye contact with his primary read. He threw it, and if could have, even should have, been picked. It wasn't.

But when Kaep does not do a traditional play action, he can make not only multiple reads, this year it looks to me like they don't have to be stacked, and he appears to have gotten a bit of red zone cool.

I hate him, but he is growing. Did I mention I hate him?

...a few times. :D

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2ku0d05o said:
kearly":2ku0d05o said:

It's my term. I have my own secret language.

I will give you a perfect example. The long TD pass to Walker vs the Pats. When Kap looks up from play action to find his target, he actually has 3 Niners in a mostly straight line of vision down the right side numbers. Walker deep, Another shorter, though still about 15-20 yards, and a rb short. The safety has edged towed the middle target, so deep it is. Stacked. And perfectly executed. Alex would have run the same play and thrown to the RB, which is the real reason he lost his starting job.

Thats called a Flood or Levels concept

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
DonnieDarko":l9601024 said:
Wow

I think Seadderall fans are more obsessed with Kap than us Niner fans, lol.
Wow

I think ninnies fans are obsessed with the Hawks, why else would they be here?!?!?!
<this is too easy>

OP
OP
SeaTown81

SeaTown81

Reaction score
DonnieDarko":3l37sohj said:
Wow

I think Seadderall fans are more obsessed with Kap than us Niner fans, lol.

Remind me real quick who the fans on the other teams' site are right now.

But I get how you'd think we're obsessed. Seeing as how we're able to talk about the mechanics and break downs of the game. Coming from 49er boards where the avg "CK vs RW" thread consists of Niner fans posting Instagram pics of CK doing squats with his shirt off and typing, "RW can't do that!!", I'm sure us talking actual football looks crazy obsessive and insane. ;)

mretrade

Reaction score
There are no CK vs RW threads. We frankly are happy with CK and don't care to compare.

OP
OP
SeaTown81

SeaTown81

Reaction score
Marvin49":2o3sy94w said:
Trenchbroom":2o3sy94w said:
Harbaugh was able to take "Mr. Shotgun" Alex Smith, who never looked comfortable under center, and coach him up to the point where he was actually a starting caliber NFL QB (!). I fully expect CK to be even better.

Hoping he doesn't of course. Not only for the benefit of my team, but to watch the Niner fans eat each other alive when the "We should have kept Alex Smith!" faction of the fans crawl back out of their holes and shake things up again.

Like it or not, Harbaugh knows how to coach QBs.

He has yet to fail.

Josh Johnson (great in college...not so much NFL), Andrew Luck, Alex Smith, Colin Kaepernick.

Agree with this entirely. In fact, I give Harbaugh a great deal of credit in coaching up CK. On his own on a lesser team with lesser coaches, I don't think CK is half as affective. Heck, I don't think he'd be as good if he were on the Seahawks, and we got a good team. I can't stand Harbaugh. But the dude knows how to coach QB's. He's pretty much the best in the game in that regard, as far as I'm concerned.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
mretrade":2vm6mpkn said:
There are no CK vs RW threads. We frankly are happy with CK and don't care to compare.

So your solution is to come here, involve yourself in those threads, and then complain about it?

OP
OP
SeaTown81

SeaTown81

Reaction score
And on the very first page:

I wonder if Wilson can do this
2r2sthi

With deep analysis like that, no wonder 49er fans think Seattle fans are obsessed when we discuss the football side of the equation. What a bunch of nerds!!!

mretrade

Reaction score
SeaTown81":16kgs05q said:
mretrade":16kgs05q said:

I am curious. Do you enjoy saying stupid things that allow us to reply in a hilarious fashion?

With that I give you this. A 43 page thread titled:

"Russell Wilson VS Colin Kaepernick"

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl/1 ... aepernick/

:snack:

I don't go on webzone.

OP
OP
SeaTown81

SeaTown81

Reaction score
mretrade":eu9fex0d said:
SeaTown81":eu9fex0d said:
mretrade":eu9fex0d said:

I am curious. Do you enjoy saying stupid things that allow us to reply in a hilarious fashion?

With that I give you this. A 43 page thread titled:

"Russell Wilson VS Colin Kaepernick"

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl/1 ... aepernick/

:snack:

I don't go on webzone.

And that makes your comment any less wrong how? Lol.

And for the record, i posted this article specifically for the 49er fans who live on this site. You guys really dont get it, do you?

mretrade

Reaction score
I can't possibly account for every 49er fan. So I will stick to just saying me->I don't care about the RW comparisons. CK is an elite talent and all I care about is that he keeps winning games. I don't need to get self satisfaction by predicting doom for my rivals QB or knocking him all the time like a lot of the fans here do.

You don't get it. The NFL Forum here is a Niners board and you guys are to blame for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.