Should Marshawn sue the Bellevue PD for slander?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
You need to make an actual false statement to be liable under a slander/libel theory. BPD made a true statement -- that they were investigating an allegation against Lynch. They wouldn't lose such a case, so it would be a waste of money to bring. Additionally, Lynch is a "public figure," and therefore, he'd have to prove that the BPD made the statement with actual malice -- an incredibly difficult standard to prove in court.

Whether or not they exercised sound judgment is another matter.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2aq9n27f said:
You need to make an actual false statement to be liable under a slander/libel theory. BPD made a true statement -- that they were investigating an allegation against Lynch. They wouldn't lose such a case, so it would be a waste of money to bring. Additionally, Lynch is a "public figure," and therefore, he'd have to prove that the BPD made the statement with actual malice -- an incredibly difficult standard to prove in court.

Whether or not they exercised sound judgment is another matter.

Very well and succinctly stated DS. I completely agree as a trial lawyer. In terms of your last sentence my answer would be no, and it was strange they hadn't even spoken to Lynch before issuing their press release. This was sloppy police work and very poor judgment or oversight.

Snakeeyes007

Reaction score
sc85sis":1pzpt7ih said:
chris98251":1pzpt7ih said:
Defamation of character is more along the lines I think for the PD, Slander and false allegations for the accuser.
Defamation is the blanket term for both slander and libel.

What about defecation? Can anyone in this story be sued for that? This whole story stinks! Belongs in the same category as taking the Browns to the Super Bowl. Can we at least get a courtesy flush and move on?

In other news, right now in the bowels of Century Link, the Hawks and Chargers are getting ready to play some football! Sure, preseason games are more like a shart, not quite practice and not quite the real thing, but there is some substance to it!

Go Hawks!

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
BPD pretty much did the right thing when you look into the context of everything. But yeah, this just needs to be locked up and sealed away.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
The PD screwed up by naming Lynch in an investigation in response to a media question. Once that happened, they did the right thing by making a factual statement.

The PD should have never named him in the investigation. When asked they should have given the "confirm/deny" response.

If Lynch was arrested or a warrant was issued, then they could have named him.

I am glad that the Hawks released a statement of their own. This was a guy that was not remotely involved with anything.

Donn2390

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":3qp8z59f said:
I think he should and would chip in to make it happen. Its unreal what that think they can do to people. If they arent held accountable for this its basically "game on" with police PDs having no responsibility to actually make sure the truth is being reported.
I really hope you aren't serious, this is wrong in so many ways..! So every time a crime is reported the police aren't allowed to investigate because it might be bogus, and if it is, they should be sued?
Completely void of any common sense. How can they find out if there is a crime or not if they don't investigate?

ManBunts

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3nozngfs said:
This abortion of a thread should be locked, IMO. It's not going anywhere but down.

Oh but my friend it can get SO much lower. We haven't even brought in the BPD/49er conspiracies yet!!! I heard that during the NFC Championship game Harbaugh was seen looking in the direction of Bellevue...just saying

But seriously this is ridiculous and I can't believe I scrolled down this far. The BPD did everything right and even protected Lynch by clearing it up and releasing a statement as fast as possible. This is their team too. Let's not forget who owns this team, and the money that man controls. And the insane measures fans might go to (as displayed by this thread) to defend their stars. You can believe clearing Lynch was Priority Numero Uno

Status
Not open for further replies.