Self proclaimed "best"

Renohawk

Reaction score
So, our own R Sherman has done his best Ali "I'm the best CB" Now, he has not proclaimed himself the best of all time, thank god he didn't go that far.

What other athletes do you know have come out and labeled themselves "the best"? The reason I'm asking, in my lifetime, I don't recall many who do this. Heck, I think ET could come say it as a Safety, but he's smart and just does it on the field and let his play do the talking.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Im ok if he does declare himself the best of all time. I like the swagger.

400WattHPSHawk

Reaction score
Ricky Henderson after he stole his 967,473 base said...

Today today today...
I am the greatest greatest greatest...
Of all time time time

Btw. You're gonna get beat up for your pov, prolly before schools out. Just a warning.

formido

Reaction score
Renohawk":1gndh4mj said:
So, our own R Sherman has done his best Ali "I'm the best CB" Now, he has not proclaimed himself the best of all time, thank god he didn't go that far.

What other athletes do you know have come out and labeled themselves "the best"? The reason I'm asking, in my lifetime, I don't recall many who do this. Heck, I think ET could come say it as a Safety, but he's smart and just does it on the field and let his play do the talking.

Well, Sherman self-consciously patterns his persona after Ali. If you think Sherman has ego, check out this post-fight video after Ali beat Liston:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY6_3Y7OOo8

"I'm the greatest fighter who ever lived!"

"I just upset Sonny Liston...I must be the greatest!"

"I told the world!"

"I'm the king of the world...I'm pretty!'

"I'm a baaad man!"

Isn't Ali considered the greatest athlete of the 20th century? Those were the good old days, when folks weren't self-righteous and interviewers were quick-witted and producers didn't cut away for fear the athlete would use a bad word.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Ali and Jordan did it routinely. Larry Bird once walked into an All-Star lockerroom before the 3-point shootout and yelled "so, which one of you is coming in second?" He then won the contest with his warm-up jacket on.

cover-2

Reaction score
400WattHPSHawk":1nu7mxn9 said:
Ricky Henderson after he stole his 967,473 base said...

Today today today...
I am the greatest greatest greatest...
Of all time time time

[youtube]cxl1tFe4EEs[/youtube]

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
formido":2jhn9smy said:
Renohawk":2jhn9smy said:

Well, Sherman self-consciously patterns his persona after Ali. If you think Sherman has ego, check out this post-fight video after Ali beat Liston:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY6_3Y7OOo8

"I'm the greatest fighter who ever lived!"

"I just upset Sonny Liston...I must be the greatest!"

"I told the world!"

"I'm the king of the world...I'm pretty!'

"I'm a baaad man!"

Isn't Ali considered the greatest athlete of the 20th century? Those were the good old days, when folks weren't self-righteous and interviewers were quick-witted and producers didn't cut away for fear the athlete would use a bad word.

Yes cause anyone who values being humble, graciously winning, sportsmanship ect is self-righteous..smh...

I listened to sherms presser after that last debacle, when asked about what sportsmanship meant to him, it was one of the few times he didnt have a sure answer, not surprisingly. Of course everyone ignored that one here and said he killed it lol. Very entertaining like always though, i enjoyed it.

I actually enjoy sherms antics majority of the time for the record, I just think its funny how incapable people are of understanding why people have every right to not like it. Dude act like a jerk sometimes, many great athletes do, kind of comes with the territory, but they are just football players, we dont have to kiss their boots and back everything they do/say.

I wont pretend to have first hand knowledge on the Ali era, but my guess was many people hated him back in those "good old days", so your statement seems a little flawed as if this is a new thing with people not liking antics like this.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
To be fair no lesser than Prime time Dion Sanders has been calling Sherm the best in the game since about mid season.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Deion called himself the best. Now he calls Sherman the best. Takes one to know one.