Seattle Sounders 2018 Season

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SeatownJay":39f3cj48 said:
Just saw that LAFC have acquired Christian Ramirez from Minnesota United.

I’m surprised MN United did that. Christian was an original member. Got a million for him though.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":2ui6mjl3 said:
Sgt. Largent":2ui6mjl3 said:

I hope the Sounders have a plan B but going by failed targets in the past, they usually don't and hold off.

Not enough time, and I think this guy was plan B.........they tried to get the French winger I linked earlier in the thread first.

The downside of being in a restricted cap league like the MLS, you're at the mercy of trying to fit transfer signings under the cap while the other leagues can just increase the transfer fee offer and outbid you.

I was hoping we could trade Dempsey to a bottom feeder team that wanted to sell some tickets and kits for the last half of the year, that way we could have opened up a DP slot for this guy.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":39huju0m said:
Glasgow Seahawk":39huju0m said:
Sgt. Largent":39huju0m said:

I hope the Sounders have a plan B but going by failed targets in the past, they usually don't and hold off.

Not enough time, and I think this guy was plan B.........they tried to get the French winger I linked earlier in the thread first.

The downside of being in a restricted cap league like the MLS, you're at the mercy of trying to fit transfer signings under the cap while the other leagues can just increase the transfer fee offer and outbid you.

I was hoping we could trade Dempsey to a bottom feeder team that wanted to sell some tickets and kits for the last half of the year, that way we could have opened up a DP slot for this guy.

Kind of underwhelmed tbh, would like to have had more creativity or speed in midfield. Does Nouhou get pushed further forward or is he in the dog house?

I guess right now, lets just make the play offs and go from there.

Holding out hope that Dempsey can have some sort of last hurrah and come in fresh given his time out of the team. Still think he could be a good impact sub when someone starts to tire but if probably done as a starter.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Brad Smith on loan.

Tidy left back with great delivery

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":3sjgkgwd said:
Kind of underwhelmed tbh, would like to have had more creativity or speed in midfield. Does Nouhou get pushed further forward or is he in the dog house?

Doghouse, Nouhou doesn't have anywhere near the technical ability or experience to play wing or mid.

It's official with Smith.

https://www.sounderatheart.com/sounders ... gerwey-kjr

Good signing, but we REALLY needed a dangerous winger so we're not so narrow on the attack. Shipp, Lodeiro, Ruidiaz and Bruin have been playing well, but I absolutely hate Shipp out wide, he's so damn old and slow he doesn't scare any defender into going out wide to defend.

I'd love to see Dempsey out wide for a match or two to see if he can be a little more dangerous and disruptive.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3i10vdhb said:
Glasgow Seahawk":3i10vdhb said:

Doghouse, Nouhou doesn't have anywhere near the technical ability or experience to play wing or mid.

Good signing, but we REALLY needed a dangerous winger so we're not so narrow on the attack. Shipp, Lodeiro, Ruidiaz and Bruin have been playing well, but I absolutely hate Shipp out wide, he's so damn old and slow he doesn't scare any defender into going out wide to defend.

I'd love to see Dempsey out wide for a match or two to see if he can be a little more dangerous and disruptive.

If the Sounders let Brad Smith be what he is, then he adds that width.

You dont typically deploy front line players out wide in a 433 any more. you let them create and interchange and hold defenders in the middle, allowing for deeper players to move down the flanks. Brad Smith (atleast with Liverpool) is that person. He has some pace, but he's also a tactical wingback.

Certainly tucked in wingers (like Lodeiro really is) can move wide during counters. But your group is fairly technical. Keeping them tucked in and forcing defenders to narrow will open up attacking channels for a player like Smith.. if you let him be that.

if you want to play a flat 4 and let hem support the attack, you'd then need wingers with the heels to the touchline. Sounders dont really have those players (MLS really doesnt, to be honest)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1cqqre2k said:
Sgt. Largent":1cqqre2k said:
Glasgow Seahawk":1cqqre2k said:

If the Sounders let Brad Smith be what he is, then he adds that width.

You dont typically deploy front line players out wide in a 433 any more. you let them create and interchange and hold defenders in the middle, allowing for deeper players to move down the flanks. Brad Smith (atleast with Liverpool) is that person. He has some pace, but he's also a tactical wingback.

Certainly tucked in wingers (like Lodeiro really is) can move wide during counters. But your group is fairly technical. Keeping them tucked in and forcing defenders to narrow will open up attacking channels for a player like Smith.. if you let him be that.

if you want to play a flat 4 and let hem support the attack, you'd then need wingers with the heels to the touchline. Sounders dont really have those players (MLS really doesnt, to be honest)

Yep, Smith will give them what Jones gave them last year, a far more dangerous left back that can get forward and help stretch the defense and send in crosses.

Nouhou does none of this.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
i guess it depends on Seattle's system. Smith coming from Liverpool and then at Bournemouth was deployed as a overlapping wing back. He could slide centrally as well and even played the 6 for Liverpool in one occasion.

You dont see wing backs receiving the ball ahead of the wingers very often in the MLS. But it is something Smith is adept at, and as I said, he has great delivery.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Uncle Si":c88qxwdg said:
i guess it depends on Seattle's system. Smith coming from Liverpool and then at Bournemouth was deployed as a overlapping wing back. He could slide centrally as well and even played the 6 for Liverpool in one occasion.

You dont see wing backs receiving the ball ahead of the wingers very often in the MLS. But it is something Smith is adept at, and as I said, he has great delivery.

hows that for an opening run and cross

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Uncle Si":swj2k0hw said:
Uncle Si":swj2k0hw said:

I like having a quality LB on the field. :)

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SeatownJay":1ntqn4a9 said:
Uncle Si":1ntqn4a9 said:
Uncle Si":1ntqn4a9 said:

I like having a quality LB on the field. :)

theyre letting him play wide and high. good to see

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Ugly, ugly end to the game tonight. Why VAR didn't tell the ref to review the red card is a mystery, as the replay clearly showed Ruidiaz initiated the contact. Regardless, that's 5 wins in a row, 8 unbeaten, and Seattle is now just 3 points behind RSL for the final playoff spot with a game in hand.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SeatownJay":2re124cj said:
Ugly, ugly end to the game tonight. Why VAR didn't tell the ref to review the red card is a mystery, as the replay clearly showed Ruidiaz initiated the contact. Regardless, that's 5 wins in a row, 8 unbeaten, and Seattle is now just 3 points behind RSL for the final playoff spot with a game in hand.

I think the ref was just trying to get the match over, he didn't want another 5-10 minutes of nonsense as he went to VAR.

Smith was as advertised, amazing to have a LB again that's dangerous on the attack. He was my man of the match. Phenomenal first match here.

On the negative side, we need to see Ruidiaz drop back more often to get involved. He seems content to just stay up top and make runs and wait for service. I wanna see him more active.