Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread

Spounge84

Reaction score
Zach Scott posing with the trophy.

15230725_10209430200130160_5762025819230163158_n.jpg

knownone

Reaction score
I remember how annoyed I was when Seattle moved on from Gspurning and brought in the injury-prone enigma that was Stefan Frei. Stefan is the only goalkeeper I've ever seen run 20 yards from goal to make an uncontested clearance and somehow clear it directly to an unmarked CM who casually lobbed a 50-yard shot into the wide open net previously vacated by Frei. I remember looking at my girlfriend and saying "this is the guy?"...

Well, it turns out he was the guy, now he's MLS Cup MVP, and the save he made against Altidore is symbolic of what he meant to the Sounders, not only in this game but the season as a whole. Think of all the points Frei saved for Seattle just to have a shot at the improbable chance of making the playoffs. This wasn't just one play, this was a body of work, the save was routine, and now the rest of the world had the opportunity to see what we've seen all season.

Stefan Frei is the best player on the best team in MLS.

Joevin Jones sealed the game for me, he completely telegraphed that penalty and it was COLD BLOODED.
Evans, Ivanschitz, and Lodeiro's penalties were class.
Torres... dude faked out the (admittedly terrible) fox broadcast crew - Nuff said.

Enjoy it guys!

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Dont mean to piss on the parade but sounds like some players will be getting exit interviews today due to the expansion draft. I figure Fernandez, Gomez may be some.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I don't follow the Sounders at all, but was able to tune in for the end of the game. Congrats to the Sounders!

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
As someone who doesn't watch a lot of soccer, how do you feel about the championship being determined by a shootout? Doesn't seem like the best team should be crowned by a shootout.

Smurf

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":h2ahhnpp said:
As someone who doesn't watch a lot of soccer, how do you feel about the championship being determined by a shootout? Doesn't seem like the best team should be crowned by a shootout.

Completely fine with it. Lost finals by PK's. Won them by PK's.

Spounge84

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":1lljtij1 said:

It's not the optimal way of ending a game, but the game went on for 120 minutes already. A winner has determined at some point.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":2ug2v5e0 said:

Fine. It still requires skills and nerve.

When you lose a shoot out it sucks but sucks as much as losing any final 1-0.

Only way I wouldnt have enjoyed it is if the refs ruined it and were so biased in our favor that it gave the media and other team an excuse for years. Even then meh, still won.

I think we were playing for penalties the moment morris got taken off. Our game plan was to nullify torontos great offense with the crowd behind them in freezimg temperatures and we did, probably hoping one chance fell our way on a break. We did that brilliantly.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
After the match Saturday night, I was pondering what an insane impossible way this was to win a Cup, so very proud of my club and the effort it took to come all the way back in the standings after firing Sigi and Dempsey going down.............it's really the stuff that movies are of.

Too much hyperbole? Don't care! Champions Bitches!

As far as the shootout question goes, I saw a LOT of this on Twitter yesterday, non soccer fans and other club fans trying to lessen and throw shade on the Sounders because it was a shootout.

That's nonsense to me, MOST sports have some sort of overtime tie breaking system. Whether it's hockey shootouts, football first to score TD's, college starting on the 25, etc.

Do I wish it didn't come down to a shootout? Of course, but even the harshest critics have to admit shootouts makes for tension filled excitement and drama.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Its an unconventional way to end a championship, regardless. Even hockey doesn't do the shootout in the playoffs. If you don't see shootouts often then you're probably not a fan of them.

But the issue here is the game HAS to end, and because there is a sub limit in soccer there is no feasible way to have a good game played after 120 minutes (or even 90, really) there have been calls to add a 4th sub option to games and even ANOTHER sub in extra time. But change is slow (I think even the 3 man sub rule is only like 30 years old. It used to be no subs).

If you're a Toronto fan you're probably a bit salty. Seattle game planned effectively to absorb pressure and try and counter. Toronto's effective high press gave them plenty of the ball high up the field. They just didn't do anything with their 19 (didn't seem like it was that much when watching) shots, despite limiting Seattle to just 3 (none on target).

But that's soccer. You can't argue you were "better" if you go 120 minutes without scoring.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3iqyb0c1 said:
After the match Saturday night, I was pondering what an insane impossible way this was to win a Cup, so very proud of my club and the effort it took to come all the way back in the standings after firing Sigi and Dempsey going down.............it's really the stuff that movies are of.

Too much hyperbole? Don't care! Champions Bitches!

As far as the shootout question goes, I saw a LOT of this on Twitter yesterday, non soccer fans and other club fans trying to lessen and throw shade on the Sounders because it was a shootout.

That's nonsense to me, MOST sports have some sort of overtime tie breaking system. Whether it's hockey shootouts, football first to score TD's, college starting on the 25, etc.

Do I wish it didn't come down to a shootout? Of course, but even the harshest critics have to admit shootouts makes for tension filled excitement and drama.

I felt Dallas away in the regular season was the game I felt we could win it all. We lost that game but I felt we were unlucky and had some bad ref calls. Always felt there wasn't much between us and the team cruising at the top of the league and if we just made the play offs we could be formidable. Only time I had doubt was Portland away when we went 4-0 down, but even the second half performance gave me hope.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":2q5lo804 said:
I felt Dallas away in the regular season was the game I felt we could win it all. We lost that game but I felt we were unlucky and had some bad ref calls. Always felt there wasn't much between us and the team cruising at the top of the league and if we just made the play offs we could be formidable. Only time I had doubt was Portland away when we went 4-0 down, but even the second half performance gave me hope.

You had far more faith than me, I thought we were dead in the water after Sigi got fired and Dempsey left.

Schmetzer is the man, he rallied this club like a boss.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Sounders with options declined: Anderson, Farfan, Friberg, Gomez, Ivanschitz, D. Jones, Lowe, Lyon, Mears, Ockford, Remick, Sturgis, Valdez

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
I'm still in shock. The entire run was unreal. Like Sgt, I too thought we were done for in July when they canned Sigi. I loved the Schmetzer hire, but I assumed we were playing for 2017 at that point. The fact that we are sitting here now as league champions is unbelievable.

Stefan Frei's save, for my money, will go down in Seattle sports lore with Edgar's double and Sherman's tip. A simply unreal moment.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":38ust5rm said:
Sounders with options declined: Anderson, Farfan, Friberg, Gomez, Ivanschitz, D. Jones, Lowe, Lyon, Mears, Ockford, Remick, Sturgis, Valdez

Only one here I'm surprised is Mears. I thought he had a solid year, and for less than 200k is a bargain.

Valdez was a great story, but no way in hell we were going to continue to pay him over 1M a year for that kind of goal production.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1vcpt05w said:
Glasgow Seahawk":1vcpt05w said:

Only one here I'm surprised is Mears. I thought he had a solid year, and for less than 200k is a bargain.

Valdez was a great story, but no way in hell we were going to continue to pay him over 1M a year for that kind of goal production.

Gonna disagree on Mears, think he has been shaky at points and i've not been impressed with his crossing. His wife and kids still live in England so I can't see him doing another season abroad. Some of these guys might be brought back cheaper. I'd take Valdez back as a back up player if he is way cheaper and Ivanschitz. Excited about a DP spot being freed up.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":nj3vh3md said:
Sgt. Largent":nj3vh3md said:
Glasgow Seahawk":nj3vh3md said:

Gonna disagree on Mears, think he has been shaky at points and i've not been impressed with his crossing. His wife and kids still live in England so I can't see him doing another season abroad. Some of these guys might be brought back cheaper. I'd take Valdez back as a back up player if he is way cheaper and Ivanschitz. Excited about a DP spot being freed up.

Hard to imagine Valdez would take that kind of pay cut unless there's literally no other interest for him. But yes a late game sub is probably where he should be at this point in his career.

I know everyone loves Brad, but is it smart to keep paying him 300k+ a year to never make it through a season with missing major time with injuries?

Latest posts