Seattle Sounders 2016 season thread

Smurf

Reaction score
Morris' Contract is 3 years, $225k per season. Guaranteed Money.

The deal with Werder Bremen was more Guaranteed money IF they avoided relegation, less if they were relegated (they are 3rd bottom right now).

This is the largest contract for a home grown player in league history, but not the largest for a rookie, which is held by Freddy Adu at 500k for the 04 season.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Zach Scott is back another year. Hope he is an emergency depth player who only plays open cup games like Roger Levesque at the end given the lack of speed. I know that was supposed to be the plan the last few seasons but we always lack depth at that spot and Scott inevitably ends up starting a ton there by seasons end.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
That's not a 433 Smurf...

It's a 4 diamond 2... Or a 4312 If you want. A 433 indicates wingers, of which their are none

This is the formation that should be aged however you name it though, as said a few posts ago

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3j0ftdvu said:

It's a 4 diamond 2... Or a 4312 If you want. A 433 indicates wingers, of which their are none

This is the formation that should be aged however you name it though, as said a few posts ago

Whatever you want to call it, we are starting 3 forwards.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":2k6da3i5 said:
Uncle Si":2k6da3i5 said:

Whatever you want to call it, we are starting 3 forwards.

No. You are starting two forwards and a CAM in a central triangle. A formation I think they should use.

3 forwards would have two near the touch line. That would be a misuse of Oba and Morris.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1nuz5ep5 said:
This Pappa stabbing story is getting weirder and weirder

http://screamer.deadspin.com/police-mls ... socialflow

Strange story...

But the comment section is hee larry us

in reference to Sounder fans...

"I'm surprised they turned away from their IPAs and conversations about why Seattle is better than Portland to even pay attention to you guys....heaven forbid they watch the actual game for a second."

Smurf

Reaction score
Reports are in that the sounders are finalizing a contract with former Malaga CB Roberto Chen.

Rumors of Chen signing with seattle back in 2013.

Chen is a senior and U23 member of the Panama national team.

knownone

Reaction score
I think the obvious connection people are making is moving Brad back to the midfield... I'm really starting to wonder if maybe Seattle is looking to move on from Chad Marshall.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
knownone":2079k0lu said:
I think the obvious connection people are making is moving Brad back to the midfield... I'm really starting to wonder if maybe Seattle is looking to move on from Chad Marshall.

Kind of late for that at this point, no?

I expected us to after last season ended, but he is still here. Maybe one more season for him?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":23dbzox4 said:
knownone":23dbzox4 said:

I expected us to after last season ended, but he is still here. Maybe one more season for him?

This is a team that keeps Zach Scott on its roster. .Marshall is more valuable than Scott. Marshall will be here for a long time.

Smurf

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1vww0l8h said:
Seahawks1983":1vww0l8h said:
knownone":1vww0l8h said:

This is a team that keeps Zach Scott on its roster. .Marshall is more valuable than Scott. Marshall will be here for a long time.

1. Brad Evans will start the season at CB. Where he finishes it? Who knows. He is a tremendous player to have on the roster. The depth he provides is incredible. Besides keeper, he can put a shift in at any position. I think he's best as a CM, but clearly his future is seen on the backline.

2. The Depth at CB right now is pretty decent. With Marshall, Evans, Torres, Scott, Ockford, Lowe, Alfaro and probably Roberto Chen too. Ockford got the start in the first preseason game with Evans and Torres out and played well.

3. Zach Scott is an absolute legend with this club, and I take it personally when you speak about him in such a manner. We are honored that he has decided to play another season. He gives his everything for this club. While I understand he is not the best CB in the world, he is a player we can count on, and know what to expect.

4. Marshall IS NOT a long term option at this club. He has probably another 2 seasons at a decent level before his injuries (and concussion history) catch up to him. He will be here for this season, and I expect him to play a ton.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
So, if I read this correctly:

two options: Scott or Marshall. Neither will be there for long, but one will be there just a bit longer and perform better, yet the other one is somehow more valuable because he's been around awhile?

Is this Liverpool?

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":g5cyy0n8 said:
So, if I read this correctly:

two options: Scott or Marshall. Neither will be there for long, but one will be there just a bit longer and perform better, yet the other one is somehow more valuable because he's been around awhile?

Is this Liverpool?

You'll never yacht alone.

knownone

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":32shrmf2 said:
knownone":32shrmf2 said:

Yes! I wasn't talking specifically about this year, I do think this will be Marshalls last year at the club. I believe you were right in thinking Marshall would be gone at the end of last season, but the Torres injury clearly changed things.

When I look at the optics of the situation, I don't think Seattle can afford to pay Marshall and Evans 300,000 a year, while also paying Roman Torres 500,000 a year. You're essentially paying a premium for a guy who may not even start. The argument can be made that Brad can play in the midfield, however it's hard to see him consistently starting given the current line up projections and what we've seen in training. He's not a better CM than Friberg or Alonso, and he's not better wide player than Ivanschitz, Valdez, or Morris. Brad however is the leader of this team and his versatility and leadership is what gives him an edge over Marshall in my eyes.

If Roberto Chen is healthy and returns to form, I could see him and Torres being the future of our backline.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Martins being targeted by the Chinese Super League

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SeatownJay":3cn6cfbu said:
Uncle Si":3cn6cfbu said:
Martins being targeted by the Chinese Super League
They were apparently interested in Nelson Valdez, too, but he turned them down.

I imagine Martins will command a good salary from them.

Wouldn't surprise me if he goes.

Smurf

Reaction score
Oba was sold this morning. Multi year deal. $3M is the fee....which is stupid low.

Morris better be ready to go. He's officially first 11 now.