Seahawks waive 6th rder Garrett Scott due to Heart Condition

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
How is this some classy move by the Seahawks organization? Seems a bit blown out of proportion. Its a standard football move. We signed him because we drafted him. We want to hold rights to the asset we acquired with a 6th round pick. He will revert to NFI IR once he goes through waivers. I imagine the Seahawks will do everything they can to try and get him back on the field. They won't give up, because they are invested, this isn't just good will towards men or something.

People are acting like his career is already over and we are just hooking him up with free money and insurance to help the cause. Its not charity.

OP
OP
DavidSeven

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":l8vh7jz5 said:
How is this some classy move by the Seahawks organization? Seems a bit blown out of proportion. Its a standard football move. We signed him because we drafted him. We want to hold rights to the asset we acquired with a 6th round pick. He will revert to NFI IR once he goes through waivers. I imagine the Seahawks will do everything they can to try and get him back on the field. They won't give up, because they are invested, this isn't just good will towards men or something.

People are acting like his career is already over and we are just hooking him up with free money and insurance to help the cause. Its not charity.

So, you're saying they paid out a $100K+ bonus to retain this "asset" that no other team would even think of touching right now?

I can put up with cynic routine from the usual suspects in most situations, but this is a bit much. I know Paul Allen has a lot of money, but $100K is a $100K. It'll be even more than that if he's retained on IR.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":23u3nyer said:

Because they could have just dropped him and instead signed him and will pay him $550,000. It was a classy way to handle the situation. Relax.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
DavidSeven":63osergw said:
Coug_Hawk08":63osergw said:

So, you're saying they paid out a $100K+ bonus to retain this "asset" that no other team would even think of touching right now?

I can put up with cynic routine from the usual suspects in most situations, but this is a bit much. I know Paul Allen has a lot of money, but $100K is a $100K. It'll be even more than that if he's retained on IR.

Any other team would have done the same if they thought there was a chance the player they just drafted could potentially contribute to the team in the future.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":f1cgzmz9 said:
DavidSeven":f1cgzmz9 said:
Coug_Hawk08":f1cgzmz9 said:

Any other team would have done the same.

You sure about that? The classy Patriots cut a player and canceled his contract after he was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":2jwfxazr said:
DavidSeven":2jwfxazr said:
Coug_Hawk08":2jwfxazr said:

Any other team would have done the same if they thought there was a chance the player they just drafted could potentially contribute to the team in the future.

First off, you don't know how much they think he can help them in the future. Second, any other team that did that would be classy. No one is saying that only the Seahawks would do this.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":x4pyb3t0 said:
He wasn't signed so they could "do him a favor" or as a "nice/cool gesture." By signing him they can now waive him with the NFI designation, then after he clears waivers, he can be placed on I.R. so that the Seahawks keep him and can use the time between now and next season to determine if he's able to return to football, as JS alluded to in his comments today.

IF he's able to return and IF he clears wavers, which nobody can be even close to certain of right now. The team took 100K flyer on a roll of the dice? It's not solely to do him a favor, but, yes, he IS getting a favor and it's a heckuva 'cool move' regardless.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":p04wcg3u said:
NorthDallas40oz":p04wcg3u said:
He wasn't signed so they could "do him a favor" or as a "nice/cool gesture." By signing him they can now waive him with the NFI designation, then after he clears waivers, he can be placed on I.R. so that the Seahawks keep him and can use the time between now and next season to determine if he's able to return to football, as JS alluded to in his comments today.

IF he's able to return and IF he clears wavers, which nobody can be even close to certain of right now. The team took 100K flyer on a roll of the dice? It's not solely to do him a favor, but, yes, he IS getting a favor and it's a heckuva 'cool move' regardless.

Isn't that true for any injured rookie that goes to reserve? We rarely ever have full medical details. Its not like the Hawks (and other teams) haven't done this before. Plenty of players get a medical redshirt. It even seems a bit in vogue lately, teams are looking for that potential value pick. This is slightly different, because the Hawks didn't know (Fail) what they were getting into with the investment ahead of time.

100k is a drop in the hat compared to the value of the pick they spent. They did their due diligence on the condition, and they are betting that he can come back at some point, thats what the move says.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Nice to see fans of other teams give the organization a bunch of props

General Manager

Reaction score
That sucks, good luck to him though it's not his fault he has a heart condition.

sc85sis

Reaction score
The team will do its due diligence to see if there is any possibility he can find surgery or treatment that will allow him to play. That benefits both parties. He will likely seek a second or even third opinion from outside medical. However, when terms like "rare heart condition" are used, the odds aren't good. That is why it's a classy move by the Seahawks to sign him, take the time to allow him to see if he can play and give him some money regardless.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Scottemojo":12v4f0b5 said:
Once again, Seattle does right by a man. There are more important things than cap.
Not to nitpick, but I'm pretty sure only the final 53 count against the cap. Up until the final 53, it's the top 53 IIRC, so this will have no impact on the cap.

But overall, I absolutely agree with you.

chris98251

Reaction score
Yeah I remember reading it's only the top 53, being 6th round and getting a salary of a 6th rounder and bonus money not part of the cap it's a non factor.

mikeak

Reaction score
Signed pre-season, salary not among top 51, not on 53 man roster

Will this actually count against the cap?

Hawks46

Reaction score
Scottemojo":238ppvcs said:
Once again, Seattle does right by a man. There are more important things than cap.

Yea, in the NFL it usually comes down to the dollars and cents. Hell, look at Peterson grandstanding trying to get an extra few million more than Sherman, while stuff like this goes on.

It's amazing how the Hawks do it. If they hadn't been my team for most of my life, they would be after hearing stuff like this.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Schneider to Peter King/MMQB about waiving Scott, but then keeping him on IR:

“This enables him to go and see different experts and allows us to either assist in getting him back on the playing field in 2015, or helping him transition to his post-football career. We’re just blessed that our docs dug further into the player and hopefully helped save a life.”

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/05/26/tom-brady ... ning-qb/2/