Seahawks LT Bradley Sowell could play Sunday

canfan

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":26na89xz said:
Can a less than 100% Sowell be much worse than a perfectly healthy Sowell?

I don't really want to know the answer to this question.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
There is a lot of negativity here about Sowell after the AZ game, when previously there had been some positive posts hereabout how Sowell was progressing. Reality is he faced Chandler all game and he is going to be a matchup difficulty for the team and most other teams going forward. I suspect he's nowhere as bad a some here would suggest, and likely has a low ceiling, but is better than anyone else the team presently has here or can afford to add at this point of the season.

Neither of the starting OTs on the roster are really very capable and certainly both were exposed against AZ. Sowell at least is athletic enough to be occasionally adequate as a LT but thruly is not a starter quality LT. To me, rather than being negative about this news is we should take it as a positive that the team won't have a raw rookie who has limited experience at playing OT protecting RW's blindside for 4or 5 game and Sowell could be back sooner than initially expected. Frankly Gilliam has been more of a disappointment this year than Sowell as he has seemingly regressed in his development. Clearly the decision to go with lower paid OTs has it's limitations.

I regard this as positive news, hopefully RW can survive Fant being the starter. Please however don't take this as being negative on Fant who may be a diamond gleaned from the rough, but he is at the beginning of a learning curve that looks as if it is still pretty steep.

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
As Wilson becomes more mobile, a lot of this gnashing of teeth will become less relevant.

I'm in camp of competition at LT is a good thing. Imagine depth at the position.

xgeoff

Reaction score
getnasty":19wfpscz said:
I'm not sure if this is good news or not.

LOL, this is exactly what I was thinking!!!

bmorepunk

Reaction score
canfan":2ojnz77m said:
oldhawkfan":2ojnz77m said:
Can a less than 100% Sowell be much worse than a perfectly healthy Sowell?

I don't really want to know the answer to this question.

Like picking between a 1981 Buick Skylark and a 1981 Chevy Citation.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
original-bozo-the-clown-bop-bag-inflatable-punching-toy-46-large-size_51677_500.jpg

I was hoping they would put this in at LT...Probably about the same protection.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2bx0nmld said:
I really want Fant to start and get a game in this week. He learns quickly and I think he could be really, really good.

I'd agree. I think NO has a below average pass rush and this is a good place for Fant to get some quality reps without getting Russ killed.

Also, this has a "I don't want to lose my job to this ridiculously athletic kid coming off the bench" flavor to it coming from Sowell. Maybe I'm misreading it and he's a warrior like Russ, but I'm guessing there's a big element to him not wanting to get benched if Fant plays well. The smart move is to keep him off the field as much as he can. Claiborne is the kind of guy that makes Sowell look really good.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
IBleedBlueAndGreen":glcz0d54 said:
Maelstrom787":glcz0d54 said:
I really want Fant to start and get a game in this week. He learns quickly and I think he could be really, really good.

This is silly at best. Fant is a rookie, who played in TWO football games in college, both at tight end. Yes he is extremely athletic and has POTENTIAL but he is not ready to be a starting left tackle in the NFL protecting the Seahawks most important commodity. He absolutely should not be starting this weekend, or any time this season for that matter.

So essentially, Jimmy Graham has more experience blocking than Fant at this point. Can we see Jimmy at the LT position on Sunday?

Sowell may not be the best option, but he may be the best we've got at the moment.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Cyrus12":1rcuzdxr said:
original-bozo-the-clown-bop-bag-inflatable-punching-toy-46-large-size_51677_500.jpg

I was hoping they would put this in at LT...Probably about the same protection.

This might be better. They are so damn unpredictable on which way they bounce back up that they could actually slow down or trip up a defender.