Seahawks expected to release DE Red Bryant

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":n1djr1k3 said:
Hawkfan77":n1djr1k3 said:
Jazzhawk":n1djr1k3 said:
I agree 100%. He will be missed. I hope they have a plan to adequately replace him.
Really?

I don't understand comments like this

Because he hopes this isn't something they have to do due to the salary cap and is part of a plan that started before the end of the season? What's not to understand?
Definitely no plan to replace him...I bet you're right and JS just woke and looked at the cap for the first yesterday and decided "hey let's cut Red now to save some money cuz I don't know what else to do"

plyka

Reaction score
seadoc30":byan40at said:
This is not gana a have a good affect on the chemistry.. great leaders like Big Red are as essential as a great head coach.

This type of thinking is what kills great teams. Holding on to a "leader" for past performance due to fan sentimentality. For a team to continue in this era, you have to rebuild all the time without allowing emotions to muck up your progress.

Red has made his money. Don't feel sorry for the guy, he is living the good life and deserves it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":wqf969e5 said:
Definitely no plan to replace him...I bet you're right and JS just woke and looked at the cap for the first yesterday and decided "hey let's cut Red now to save some money cuz I don't know what else to do"

Wow.

Amazing to me that after four years of brilliance in turning this roster over culminating with a SB Championship, that Pete and John haven't earned your trust and admiration on not doing ANYTHING without an eye towards the future.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2sjdsv8z said:
Hawkfan77":2sjdsv8z said:

Wow.

Amazing to me that after four years of brilliance in turning this roster over culminating with a SB Championship, that Pete and John haven't earned your trust and admiration on not doing ANYTHING without an eye towards the future.

He was being a smartass in response to my reply to him being a smartass. Great conversationalist.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":3days6kv said:
Sgt. Largent":3days6kv said:
Hawkfan77":3days6kv said:

Wow.

He was being a smartass in response to my reply to him being a smartass. Great conversationalist.

My bad. Context FTL.

As far as Bryant goes, I did read an opinion this morning on Twitter that both McDonald and McDaniel could be a viable 5 technique DE.

TwilightError

Reaction score
This legendary strong defense was known for its secondary, but another as hard and less talked about quality about it was stopping the run. Big Red Bryant was one of the main reasons for that. If he is released, there will be some huge shoes to fill. He probably will be paid elsewhere, so its wishful thinking to think he will be back on a lower salary. All the best for Red in the future, except against Seahawks offcourse.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Big Red has been one of my favorite Hawks during the PC/JS era. I will miss him if hes not resigned to a smaller contract. On the bright side, his use in our defense was pretty unique for a DE and the list of potential suitors may be small so i have hope he'll return.

I don't get the impression that the players who have been cut from this team have been entirely surprised by it and accept it as a reality of the business. The players know that if Sherman, ET, or Bennett want a new contract then something has to give under the salary cap.

hawk45

Reaction score
This one hurts me. Once Pete put Red in the right position to succeed, he flourished, and has been a large part of our run-stopping. It was last year, wasn't it, where he was injured for a brief time and our run-stopping disappeared until he returned?

Having said that, can't argue with the position that for the amount of snaps he gets the price tag was too high. Definitely not worried that Pete and John will somehow fail to replace what he brought.

Hope we get him back cheaper, if not wish him much luck.

bowzerbird

Reaction score
I didn't read through all the posts BUT, we all remember the beginnings when "PeterBird" first came on as the new coach. Very shortly thereafter, he began letting go everyone except Red & Brandon.

The salary cap will define the who & what for the next team. Letting folks with the $$$$$$ salaries go so that they meet the cap maybe the best option to take.

But my DUMB question is . . . these players are very valuable, wouldn't they be willing to take salary cuts to stay with a team that will be the future of football?? The Seahawks set a NEW paradigm of how the future of football WILL be played. I think we all saw that not only in the Super Bowl BUT in HOW they played to get there.

Guess I sometimes don't get the "logic" of "picking & choosing" who goes & who stays. The only prob I saw with Red was he got "fooled" a few times in False Starts and he's 30 [OH!!! to be 30 again :roll: :roll: ]

WHAH! I WUV WED AND DON'T WANNA LOSE HIM ~ OH POO

Smellyman

Reaction score
Everybody loves big red.....hopefully he can return if cut.

What's the latest poop on Jordan Hill? I have no idea. injured? showing promise? etc. I guess he isn't a 5 tech though?

ivotuk

Reaction score
They overpaid Red Bryant the last two years, about 1.5 million more per year than they paid Brandon Mebane. Red should be grateful for that.

It's funny how someone else's player is a "star" when viewed from afar. I love Red and appreciate everything he has done here, but this Kevin O'Connor is blowing smoke up his own butt.

''Reports around the NFL now suggest that Seattle plans to release star defensive lineman Red Bryant"

"once free agent starts on March 11th, it should only be a matter of time before news is released that Bryant made a visit with Bill Belichick and the New England Patriots."

Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't see the Patriots paying Red more than 3.5 million a year. If the Patriots don't sign some receivers for Tom Brady, they are just screwing themselves, and Mr. Brady.

http://www.patspulpit.com/2014/2/23/544 ... triots-nfl

HawkWow

Reaction score
hawk45":18eumqqa said:
This one hurts me. Once Pete put Red in the right position to succeed, he flourished, and has been a large part of our run-stopping. It was last year, wasn't it, where he was injured for a brief time and our run-stopping disappeared until he returned?

Having said that, can't argue with the position that for the amount of snaps he gets the price tag was too high. Definitely not worried that Pete and John will somehow fail to replace what he brought.

Hope we get him back cheaper, if not wish him much luck.

This is why I'm just waiting before getting too worked up about it all. You're so right about Pete positioning Red to stuff runners and Pete's not going to give up yards on the ground.

Yes he is the master DB maker, but Pete is all about fundamental football and always has been. As valuable as those DBs are, it's run the ball, stop the run, pressure the QB (and hold onto the ball). There is no way Pete is going to bust a move that will give up more YPC and I think Red wants to be here bad enough to make it all work.

seahawks187

Reaction score
cuts have to happen.. it's a business. We are all seahawk fans first and players will come and go.. sure we want to keep everyone and our favorite seahawks but it can't always happen.. sucks for both parties.