Schneider

endzorn

Reaction score
We’re poised to seriously improve the roster, but I’m a little skeptical this offseason. I think Schneider does an excellent job at identifying talent on other rosters and adding players through trades or waiver pickups that really help. My concern stems from how bad I think he’s done in the draft.

DK Metcalf was a massive home run, but schneider thought LJ Collier and Blair were more talented. I know fans fall in love with players and believe they’re great, but we don’t have great depth and the reason is that Schneider hasn’t drafted well lately. Russell Wilson is a damn superstar and he masks so many depth concerns.

If Schneider whiffs on this offseason and we aren’t significantly stronger in the back half of the roster then I think it’s time to start contemplating replacement.

mistaowen

Reaction score
This is an enormous offseason for him and Pete with lots of draft picks and lots of money to throw around. There are a couple obvious re-signs and some hopefully obvious cuts but they need to get their Bennett/Avril this year. A solid offseason likely puts this team into the 1-2 seed category.

Depth needs to be better overall, speed on defense needs to be improved, LCB needs to be improved, a true speed pass rusher needs to be found, and more offensive weapons for Russell. Jaron Brown, Mailk Turner and David Moore all need to be upgraded.

knownone

Reaction score
I'm of the mind set that Seattle needs to rethink their draft strategy. Accumulating picks is great and it worked out on Metcalf and Dissly, but that might just be the exception. Look at a year like 2017, we had 6 picks in the first 3 rounds and only managed to draft 1 reliable starter. This is a team that is dire need of young difference makers, and it seems like the odds of finding those guys diminish as you trade further and further back in the draft.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
My issue with Schneider is he thinks he's too smart for his own good and trade down for more picks and uses those picks to reach on guys he can get in later rounds. Pisses me off cause let's face it we have one of the least talented rosters in the NFL. For a 11-5 team how many players made the pro bowl?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rcaido

Reaction score
I think a lot of the reason DK is so successful is because of Wilson.

As for Colier, bad start w/ injury and just fell behind. Lets give at least a year or two.

Blair looked great. I wish they played him more.

Joyodongo

Reaction score
knownone":1cd9n3p4 said:
I'm of the mind set that Seattle needs to rethink their draft strategy. Accumulating picks is great and it worked out on Metcalf and Dissly, but that might just be the exception. Look at a year like 2017, we had 6 picks in the first 3 rounds and only managed to draft 1 reliable starter. This is a team that is dire need of young difference makers, and it seems like the odds of finding those guys diminish as you trade further and further back in the draft.
Jim Nagy (who was scouting for many years with the Seahawks, now responsible for the Senior-Bowl) said it very clear in an interview with "Real Hawk Talk" a couple of months ago:
"BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE"
Seahawks' drafts the last 6-7 years have been (with some exceptions: Clark, Lockett, DK) clearly, very clearly, below average. Is JS responsible? Is PC? I have no idea, but it's not working.

zchurch74

Reaction score
Their strategy is obvious, they would rather trade down and hope to hit on 1 or 2 picks out of 10, rather then risking hitting on early round picks. they think they can always find a star in the late rounds. They don’t mind missing on 5-6 picks and cutting them as long as they get a DK or a Lockett

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
When you constantly draft at the bottom of the 1st round, your odds at hitting on a player aren't much better than the next 2 rounds. Better to have more of those picks and later round picks. It's completely different if you draft in the top 10-15 which we never do.

Largent80

Reaction score
The first pick for us is basically a 2nd rounder since Pete has been here because of success, and JS is as much responsible for that as Pete.

Collier, and Penny are actually 2nd rounders. To me Blair should have played immediately. The thinking that TT and Hill were better because of experience was flawed and proven on the field many times. It's time to upgrade there.

There are some good OL players in this draft coming up especially at G and JS should get one or even 2 of them. Keeping Fant is very important. While Clowney gutted out an entire season and isn't a sack master, he needs to be re-signed, maybe Reed as well who never even sniffed his play of last year.

Dante Fowler of the Rams and even Robert Quinn are available FA Linemen who would drastically help the pass rush.

I have faith that Schneider will make a lot of good moves, this reminds me of 2012 a little,

Ozzy

Reaction score
Pete just talked about it in a recent interview. He has just as much say in the picks as JS does. I think that is part of the problem. You need one guy making the decisions. I do think JS is a really good GM I bet if asked off the record he would rather be making all the decisions and letting Pete coach. I could be completely wrong.

Like Largent said though I think this off season could be huge for Seattle.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
I have no faith in JS at this point. In the last 4-5 drafts all we really have are Carson and Metcalf every other player they have taken has been just the league average role player . That's not good enough in fact it's straight up bad talent analysis. He's been much better in Free agency then the draft that's just a fact at this point. I'd fire him.

Seymour

Reaction score
austinslater25":kjj6dsqo said:
Pete just talked about it in a recent interview. He has just as much say in the picks as JS does. I think that is part of the problem. You need one guy making the decisions. I do think JS is a really good GM I bet if asked off the record he would rather be making all the decisions and letting Pete coach. I could be completely wrong.

Someone finally said it, this is just as much on Pete if not more so!

Schneider does the footwork to line up the prospects, but Pete has final say on who we draft as he is over Schneider on the org chart.

Rat

Reaction score
endzorn":o9f3f1u5 said:
We’re poised to seriously improve the roster, but I’m a little skeptical this offseason. I think Schneider does an excellent job at identifying talent on other rosters and adding players through trades or waiver pickups that really help. My concern stems from how bad I think he’s done in the draft.

DK Metcalf was a massive home run, but schneider thought LJ Collier and Blair were more talented. I know fans fall in love with players and believe they’re great, but we don’t have great depth and the reason is that Schneider hasn’t drafted well lately. Russell Wilson is a damn superstar and he masks so many depth concerns.

If Schneider whiffs on this offseason and we aren’t significantly stronger in the back half of the roster then I think it’s time to start contemplating replacement.
Why would you consider replacing him? Are you tired of being a model franchise and making the playoffs every year?

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Carroll/Schneider team is as good as it gets. Their performance over the years has been remarkable. But they don't do the "legwork". We have an entire staff of guys who gather info, watch film, etc etc all year, then filter by prescribed guidelines to determine an order of preference. The list of their late round success is staggering and the subject of admiration league wide.
Sure, our picks don't always prove out, especially the expensive early ones, but they make serious hay after that due to their process. I wouldn't trade them for any other tandem out there. Early picks being a bust isn't a problem confined to Seahawks. Happens every year to more than a few. It's a horse race. You are going to lose some.

Vaclav44

Reaction score
Appyhawk":1hv9zu1r said:
Carroll/Schneider team is as good as it gets. Their performance over the years has been remarkable. But they don't do the "legwork". We have an entire staff of guys who gather info, watch film, etc etc all year, then filter by prescribed guidelines to determine an order of preference. The list of their late round success is staggering and the subject of admiration league wide.
Sure, our picks don't always prove out, especially the expensive early ones, but they make serious hay after that due to their process. I wouldn't trade them for any other tandem out there. Early picks being a bust isn't a problem confined to Seahawks. Happens every year to more than a few. It's a horse race. You are going to lose some.

This. I wouldn't want another combo in charge of our team.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
austinslater25":207fcgbz said:

If they are asking you to cook the meal, they should at least give you a say in buying the groceries.

Pete working with John is a good thing since that allow John to go after guys that fit Pete's idea of a "seahawk". GM's that do it all themselves typically go through coaches like my dog goes through kibble. Tail wagging the dog strategies rarely work for the best of the franchise.

I think our drafts have been superlative in the 2010-2012 years, below average 2013-14, average 2015-2017 then good again 2018-2019. I'm not sure what people expect since that's pretty much most franchises.

Hitting it out of the park like 2010-2012 is blind luck and not sustainable. Getting 2 all pros every draft for 3 straight years is crazy. We are just spoiled.

I don't really wish Schneider would draft better, I just wish there were better OL and DL candidates in the bottom of the first round. But there never seems to be. Those positions get a run every year in the top 15 and we are never sniffing anywhere near that high.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Appyhawk":9dfae6ey said:

The late round picks havent been good since Pete lost contact with the college scene. The early success was dependent on that. Also, the early picks from Pete and JS has been abysmal over the years. Luckily they fare better in free agency.

That being said, i'm worried about our RB situation. Carson and Penny had severe injuries and its a mystery if they'll be alright. As much as we need defensive help, I think they need to take another RB in the draft and another in free agency.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Largent80":1qtj9dl8 said:
To me Blair should have played immediately. The thinking that TT and Hill were better because of experience was flawed and proven on the field many times. It's time to upgrade there.

Wasn't Blair hurt at the beginning of the season? I think that had a lot to do with his lack of playing time at the beginning. Then just as he was starting to get on the field, Diggs came. I think the challenge next year will be to get him on the field with Diggs and McDougald still on the team. But I think it is way too early to think Blair is a bust.

chris98251

Reaction score
HawkGA":2596t37w said:
Largent80":2596t37w said:
To me Blair should have played immediately. The thinking that TT and Hill were better because of experience was flawed and proven on the field many times. It's time to upgrade there.

Wasn't Blair hurt at the beginning of the season? I think that had a lot to do with his lack of playing time at the beginning. Then just as he was starting to get on the field, Diggs came. I think the challenge next year will be to get him on the field with Diggs and McDougald still on the team. But I think it is way too early to think Blair is a bust.

I remember about half the picks having some sort of issue they were recovering from, many were fixes from college injuries to get them right for the season, Christmas is one that took all season and he never got on the field tp play but finally got to practice some.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
JS and PC draft like they coach. They lazily ignore the first half and try to come back in the second half.

In all seriousness I think JS and PC would rather have a 5th rounder succeed at a 3rd round level than a first rounder play at a first round level. If every draft expert said we should take Player X with a first round grade in the first round they will intentionally take a third round graded player in the first round to prove how much smarter they are. It is really stupid of them. Penny over Chubb? Just plain stupid.

Latest posts