Sando no longer NFC West writer for ESPN

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
AvengerRam":1216lht2 said:
I just want them to stop trying to force-feed us the bogus ESPN "Total QBR" analysis.

Don't hold your breath.

Congrats to Sando! Good guy and a hard worker. Too bad I won't get to read his stuff anymore, but the whole ESPN Insider thing just isn't worth the $$$.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
pehawk":2sxclpqk said:
drdiags":2sxclpqk said:
Sure wouldn't mind having an ESPN Seattle, like they do for the major cities. Doubt that happens anytime soon.

That's resonated in my lil insecure Seattlite brain as well.

I think a ESPN PNW that covers the Seahawks, Mariners, Blazers, Canucks, and the three MLS teams would be perfect.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I'll be glad when they make the switch. I've been wondering what was up with all the Rams stuff. I hadn't realized it was by a different writer. I do like having a division blog. I don't often read anything about the other teams, but it gives a different spin on the news. If they're going to have a writer for each team specifically, then I might as well just check out the local writers.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
AvengerRam":3hv9nude said:
I just want them to stop trying to force-feed us the bogus ESPN "Total QBR" analysis.

What's unfortunate is that Total QBR has potential. It sucks right now because it's randomly WAY off, but I'm an overall proponent of advanced metrics. Total QBR is not yet an "advanced" metric. Not until I stop seeing it give a 35 to someone who had a great day but a bit of bad luck, or a 75 to someone who had a bad day but some good luck, etc. I'd say 75-80% of the time, Total QBR is a good indicator; but there are way too many "WTF?" exceptions to it, which makes it worthless to go by.

themunn

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1q3i8bw1 said:
AvengerRam":1q3i8bw1 said:

What's unfortunate is that Total QBR has potential. It sucks right now because it's randomly WAY off, but I'm an overall proponent of advanced metrics. Total QBR is not yet an "advanced" metric. Not until I stop seeing it give a 35 to someone who had a great day but a bit of bad luck, or a 75 to someone who had a bad day but some good luck, etc. I'd say 75-80% of the time, Total QBR is a good indicator; but there are way too many "WTF?" exceptions to it, which makes it worthless to go by.

Until they explain to us how it's calculated rather than saying "we take a few things like this" into account it will always be bogus. You can't score someone and not tell us the criteria behind it.

I don't think there's anything wrong with passer rating. Just double the value/weighting of passes made when the team is within 10 points of the opponent either side and you can get a better accurate gauge of how well they're playing (since anything else is usually considered "garbage")

Maybe not, since when I tried it out I got surprisingly similar results to their actual passer rating. Even Carson Palmer graded out better than his actual passer rating, and he's the king of garbage time

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
Seattle Seahawks: Terry Blount (ESPN NASCAR writer) *

LOLOLOL

The Rams new guy has already pumped out 3 articles, all very lengthy. We're probably going to have to hope for an article a week with this nascar jabroni in the drivers seat.

DericLee

Reaction score
I am cry :(

Seriously though, Sando is my favorite writer, this sux.

A few years back when I was messaging back and forth with him, he asked for my address and sent me a signed book that he helped write on the Seahawks as a gift.

This really, really sucks. I want my Sando!

Do we have the new guys twitter handle yet?

EDIT: NM, found it, @TerryBlountESPN

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":1m57fht5 said:
Seattle Seahawks: Terry Blount (ESPN NASCAR writer) *
We're probably going to have to hope for an article a week with this nascar jabroni in the drivers seat.

HAHAHAHAHA!!! :th2thumbs:

I want to name a fantasy football team "NASCAR Jabronis" now.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
So many people don't bother with reading Insider. It's like Sando's being sent to sports writers graveyard.

HawkGA

Reaction score
New guy has his first post up. I'm not impressed. He manages to screw up a winning percentage calculation and inserts it into his article in such a way that I'm not sure which of the two arguments he is talking about that it is supposed to support.

60niners

Reaction score
DericLee":2e8donmv said:
I'm with you.

There's 500 bloggers in the Bay Area covering the 49ers... There's no shortage of news solely about the team. What I liked about Sando is that his topics were [almost] always as it relates to the division; in which case finding divisional bloggers is few and far between.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
HawkGA":3nrmmesu said:
New guy has his first post up. I'm not impressed. He manages to screw up a winning percentage calculation and inserts it into his article in such a way that I'm not sure which of the two arguments he is talking about that it is supposed to support.
link?

NinerBuff

Reaction score
60niners":2krrmtco said:
DericLee":2krrmtco said:
I'm with you.

There's 500 bloggers in the Bay Area covering the 49ers... There's no shortage of news solely about the team. What I liked about Sando is that his topics were [almost] always as it relates to the division; in which case finding divisional bloggers is few and far between.

I agree, Sando may be Seattle biased, but he was a good writer and always used statistics to back up his claims...

So apparently each team will have an ESPN beat writer now? that's kind of lame, but I guess the NFL is in total growth mode.

RobBaker7714409

Reaction score
What's the deal with this (new) guy? One of his first post is full of mistakes: misstating the number of 10am games we have; plus saying that we play at Jacksonville instead of at home. Now it's game day, & he posts a very generic "things to watch" post at 7am and nothing else the rest of the day? What a hack.

Latest posts