Saints fan here, I come in peace

El Caliente

Reaction score
Hey folks, I enjoy your board, and find your fans to be some of the most bearable fans in the NFL.

I’m looking forward to our game this weekend, and even though we are without Drew (for 6 weeks) I think it will be a good one. Teddy isn’t Brees, but with a week to prep perhaps the coaches can make chicken salad out of chicken shit. If not Taysom is waiting in the wings.

Your team has been impressive so far, and I look forward to seeing them this week against our guys. It’s funny that the only player remaining from that Ungar/Graham trade is (inadvertently Lockett).

Anyway, just wanted to check in and say what’s up.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about Brees, total class guy. Love watching him play football. Hopefully he'll come back strong and you guys will be in the mix. Great fans and fanbase out there. Getting tired of seeing you guys get shafted by the refs though, wow.

iigakusei

Reaction score
Bridgewater definitely isnt Brees, but he is in no ways a chump either. Payton will have a good game plan for him. He will probably mix in Hill as well I would guess. I hope that Brees can come back sooner rather than later - one of my favourite players in the NFL. If we can't win the Bowl I wouldnt mind seeing Brees and the Saints get another one. Hope for a good game on Sunday.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Hope all is well with you. I enjoy seeing the opinions on your board too. Very interesting.

TB will have his day in the sun this weekend. I hope it is an even called game. Not like yesterday. Ugh.

Have a great week.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Welcome.

The Saints are my 2nd favorite team, and Brees is my 2nd favorite QB.........what's not to love about him? Seriously.

He'll be back, and IMO no one's running away with the NFC South, so I still think as long as the Saints can pull out a couple games over the next six weeks they can still win the division and make some noise in the playoffs come January.

And as glad as I am to see no Brees this week? Hill scares the hell out of me, I can easily see Payton going deep into his bag of tricks to drive us insane Sunday and keep this game way closer than it should be.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Love the subject line. Saints have always been my second favorite team...I always root for them when it doesn't directly impact the Hawks. I know I am guilty of counting my proverbial chickens with Brees out but I know Teddy is no pushover and we will need to prepare as if Brees was still playing in this game.

Sucks for you guys to have Brees potentially out for 6 weeks. Good dude. Outside of this Sunday I wish you guys well.

nanomoz

Reaction score
It'll be a great game. No matter who you roll out at QB. With a week to prepare, Teddy should be alright. Especially if Kamara can break a run or two off, which he usually does.

The Hawks just made the Steelers backup Mason Rudolph look like Peyton Manning in his first regular season game action. They have a way of doing that, going back to Holmgren. I remember Matt Moore looking like John effing Elway one time in around 2009.

We're hoping Ziggy Ansah finally gets on the field and has some impact. Also, getting Poona Ford back would help. The Hawks' big weaknesses have been correctable mistakes and inconsistent pass rush. The pass rush has even looked winded and worn out at times late in games. Not good.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
nanomoz":2jxc0sl2 said:
The Hawks just made the Steelers backup Mason Rudolph look like Peyton Manning in his first regular season game action. They have a way of doing that, going back to Holmgren. I remember Matt Moore looking like John effing Elway one time in around 2009.

LOL so true. Ugh. I will never forget that Ravens game in the early 2000's where some LITERALLY no name backup QB came in and beat us even though we had dropped 40+ points! That one still pisses me off and may have shortened my life by a month or two.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong Caliente, but other than the Shoulder injury before he ended up with the Saints, this is really the only other major injury for Brees right? He's been really durable.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Aros":136w11uh said:
nanomoz":136w11uh said:

LOL so true. Ugh. I will never forget that Ravens game in the early 2000's where some LITERALLY no name backup QB came in and beat us even though we had dropped 40+ points! That one still pisses me off and may have shortened my life by a month or two.

Was that the same game that the referee knocked Bobby Engram down on a wide open go route?

I wake up in cold sweats, still, from that shit.

OP
OP
E

El Caliente

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":13p0fzca said:
Correct me if I'm wrong Caliente, but other than the Shoulder injury before he ended up with the Saints, this is really the only other major injury for Brees right? He's been really durable.
That is correct.

According to the local media he is going for a 2nd opinion. I hope he doesn’t rush himself back.

seahawksny

Reaction score
Hard not to like Brees
will still be a good game- your team is more than just him.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Enjoy the game, and may the best team win.

Hopefully the talk after this game isn't about the lousy officiating. Three games in a row with terrible, game altering calls is unacceptable.

AgentDib

Reaction score
The Saints are in win now mode with Brees at age 40 and rookie contracts at nine different starting spots. Their next upcoming six games are comprised of three very difficult games and three very winnable games. With their level of talent they should be able to split them and stay right in the NFC South race at 4-4.

Having Poona Ford back would be huge on Sunday. Without Brees the Saints are obviously going to try to run the ball and they have the personnel to do so very effectively.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Welcome back!

I, for one, am still dreading this matchup. Ignoring the QB question for the moment, the Saints are an extremely talented team. Especially on defense. That's a team the looks very similar to Seattle's from their heyday in terms of effectiveness. It's a team very much built to not have to rely on Star Wars numbers from their QB in order to win.

I think any team that kept on Teddy (including Seattle) as a backup would reliably expect him to achieve at least a .500 record in relief. Perhaps even more. I would think having to roll him out for the next 6-7 games would ultimately cost no more than a game or two less than if Brees was healthy.

I like Seattle's chances. Especially at home. While I think Teddy will be ok for you, I expect he'll have a wide variance in productivity between road and home games. The best way to rattle a backup/league average passer is to effectively pass rush/cover them. Both of these have aspects have been troublesome for us. We played a horrible OL and a very good OL (Cincy and Pitt). We allowed Andy Dalton to set career highs in passing behind the worst OL in the league. One would think we'd consider it paramount that we don't allow that to happen. But Pete is oddly dogmatic in his defensive approach. Teddy could similarly set career highs this week if New Orleans game plans a extra heavy dink and dunk passing attack. Seattle is virtually uninterested in defending the 1-7 yard box. If you game plan for 2-5 yard pass routes, you'll complete them at a better than 70% rate.

Seattle is a notoriously slow starting team. But weeks 3 through 8 over the last several years has seen this team really hit it's stride. We were fortunate that the schedule was kind to us in weeks one and two and our record is similarly blessed. I think Seattle is just getting warmed up -- but the Saints D has a way of really cooling off opponents.

It's not a gimme. Seattle defense has to make strides in these next few weeks. I'd like to think we get aggressive and play WRs tight and dare Teddy to beat us on low percentage deep throws. But I'm not expecting that to happen. Pete's history against bad QBs is to allow the underneath and let the other QB commit unforced errors and lose the game.

I think Teddy is a decent QB, and one that plays at a good to very good level if allowed to remain comfortable. With little pass rush to force him, and an expected vacant underneath zone -- I think Teddy could settle down quickly and find a great rhythm. Even if getting TDs becomes difficult.

Seattle's MO is to keep the game tight. Then it comes down to clutch QB play late. Wilson is perhaps the most clutch QB in the game. I can't recall, but if memory serves, he's second only to Stafford in 4th qtr comeback wins. The main difference being that Russell has a lot more stay ahead wins where Stafford -- not so much.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
nanomoz":y6fggzad said:
Aros":y6fggzad said:
nanomoz":y6fggzad said:

Was that the same game that the referee knocked Bobby Engram down on a wide open go route?

I wake up in cold sweats, still, from that shit.

I believe so!! Evil, evil game that was. Almost cost me my marriage (no joke).

NOSaintsFan09

Reaction score
Hello all.

I'll be at the game too.

My excitement sadly floundered for it after Brees went down yesterday, but with the emotions starting to subside I am telling myself I at least get to finally see one of the few HFAs that rival ours and visit the beautiful city that is Seattle.

Who knows, maybe I will get to witness yet another way the NFL's inept officials blow a call for us :sarcasm_on:

Anyways, game aside, I hope the experience Sunday will be a grand one for me and my gf. I'm already expecting a L with Brees out, but hopefully the game will still be a fun one.