Safety Adrian Colbert added to practice squad

TwilightError

Reaction score
https://www.seahawks.com/news/seahawks- ... tice-squad

Insight from the niner fans I know is that Colbert is very potential. Started many games in 2017 as a rookie. Last season was wasted on injuries but they seem to have hoped he'd make the team for this season. Apparently he fell out of favor of the coaching stuff for some reason.

If he really has potential, he should be pushing soon for a roster spot. Especially if Tedric Thompsons injury (or form) lingers.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/BradyHenderson/status/1174457279619457024[/tweet]

https://twitter.com/BradyHenderson/stat ... 9619457024

Pete Carroll sounded as excited about safety Adrian Colbert as he ever has about a player the Seahawks added to their practice squad. He said they've had their eyes on the former 49ers starter for a couple years and pounded his hand on the podium for emphasis as he praised GM John Schneider and pro scouting director Nolan Teasley for the job they did getting him on Seattle's practice squad. Said Carroll: "We really think he’s got great potential. He’s really fast, he’s really tough … He’s one of those guys to me that demonstrates the kind of energy that we like when he plays. He loves to run and hit now and he’s really fast. He ran in the 4.3s and he’s 211 [pounds] yesterday. Big kid, strong kid and he’s got a spirit about him, too. So that kinda fired me up."

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/1174578458950688768[/tweet]

https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/sta ... 8950688768

uncle fester

Reaction score
So if a DB wins a starting job from the 7th round, gets 37 tackles, 2 FFs and runs in the 4.3s ...how does he get cut a year and a season-ending injury later?

There’s clearly more to this story, no?

OP
OP
TwilightError

TwilightError

Reaction score
Yeah it sounds weird. I've heard he was on the doghouse, then lost the battle for a spot on roster and had been injured for a long time. I wonder why the doghouse treatment... Some personal problems?

Anyway, I hope he balls out! The Hawks need help in the safety position.

nepahawk

Reaction score
Hope the coaching staff can teach him to wrap up on tackles.
Tends to just lead with his shoulder on the big hits.
I know it's a trend nowadays but would rather a more text book tackle.

ivotuk

Reaction score
My guess, he could be a penalty machine? Or he was getting out of position maybe? They had a rough year last year, and he may have just been a casualty of looking for someone to penalize for it.

John Lynch is a former hard-hitting safety, one would think that he would love the guy.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Found this:

By Matt Maiocco August 14, 2019 7:26 AM

“There were a lot of reasons, just a lot of outside stuff that I was dealing with and the way I handled the offseason. Lessons, not losses.”

Colbert said he did not get complacent after locking down the starting job. He said he merely did not work as hard as he could have to prepare himself for a 16-game regular season. He ended up appearing in seven games with six starts and finished the season on injured reserve with a high ankle sprain.

“I’ve prepared tremendously this offseason in ways I wish I would have going into my second year,” Colbert said. “But I didn’t. Got to live it and build myself back up to what I used to be and where I used to be.”

..... Colbert played in just seven snaps after getting disqualified for a targeting infraction.

“There’s a great competition going on in that safety room,” 49ers defensive coordinator Robert Saleh said. “There are legitimate safeties all over the place in that group. I’m very excited about them.”

Two plays before Colbert was ejected from the game, he made a play that impressed Saleh. Dallas rookie running back Mike Weber broke through the first two levels on a play that Saleh said looked like it would go for 50 yards. But Colbert came flying up from his spot in the deep middle of the field to upend Weber for a 9-yard gain.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers ... nting-2018

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
His highlights video shows that he's inclined to taunting. Last thing we need is more personal fouls being called.

SPIRITOF12

Reaction score
If this does anything it let's the active secondary know their replacement is a ust phone call away and hungry for their spot.

chris98251

Reaction score
I hope he is as advertised, a little swag with the ability to back it up is infectious, he has the speed to play like a Earl Thomas and help us a lot if they can get his head straight. Thompson should be worried.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Pete is good at identifying prospective DBs. He’s excited about adding this young man to the PS so we need to see if this kid has that royal jelly.

As observed here he was drafted by Lynch who was pretty good as a S when he played. Even better against competition as a 7th round pick he won the job which means he can play so getting him to play consistently well might be possible. He’s got good size apparent speed, long arms, and likes to bring the thump. Best of all he improves the pile here and brings insight into the Digits D while weakening their depth.

I am curious. Time will tell.

nanomoz

Reaction score
That little highlight video reminds me so much of Ken Hamiln.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Back during the pre-season I made a thread in the NFL Talk forum saying that Colbert was one of the 9ers three likely cuts that the Seahawks should definitely target.

Here's the story on him:

YEAR 1: Drafted in the 7th round as a height/weight/speed guy. Forced into starting in single high role for the second half of the season and played *very well*

YEAR 2: Went in as the starter without competition and with very high hopes. The 9ers secondary was a mess with guys going in and out of the lineup, and there was just a ton of mental lapses and guys not being on the same page (IIRC the 9ers had the same two starting safeties healthy and playing in two or three of sixteen weeks total last year).

Some of those mental lapses were on Colbert, some were on other people. Many of them were just miscommunications.
As an example, Colbert and Witherspoon were the two young secondary players everyone was excited about, and last year both of them were in the total dog house -- so far this year Witherspoon looks phenomenal, it really was just a mess as a unit even though Witherspoon and Colbert got the brunt of the blame for not meeting very high expectations.

Colbert ended up getting hurt and going on IR in week 8 or so.

YEAR 3: Colbert was injured this offseason and didn't really get a chance to compete. When he did get in he quickly got ejected for a targeting penalty (it happened, but it's not a *problem* he has) and then got hurt again. When the 9ers cut him they had to do it with an injury settlement. Colbert was going to be a backup (the coaches *love* Ward for some reason and Moore -- a 3rd round pick last year --- was ascending as a FS (he's the starter now).

Long story short, if he had been healthy this offseason I *strongly believe* he'd be on the team. What happened was that Jimmie Ward broke his hand and they weren't going to put two injured free safeties on the 53 so Colbert got cut and they kept Exum.

Guys in the locker room loved Colbert. The internal media staff for the 9ers really leaned on Colbert and seemed to love Colbert too.

I understand why the 9ers cut him, but I think as a second string FS and special teams players he's an absolute steal.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Thanks Popeye. Really appreciate your info and analysis.

Someone else chimed in with a Ken Hamlin comp, which sounds aligned with how Popeye described Colbert. \FYI, Ken Hamlin and his bonehead midseason bar fight and head injury cost us SBXL as much as the refs. He was the starter and Marquand Manuel then started and did great, but got injured in 2nd qtr of SBXL, and "man off the street" Etric Pruitt was our non-answer.

These unheralded back-of-roster guys can wind up being pretty key in big games. Malcolm Smith comes to mind. Chris Matthews MVP for first half of SB49. A guy like Colbert could be a big-game-saving backup if he makes the roster. Really 2 SBs we lost due to poor DB depth and pass-rusher depth. SB49, CB Jeremy Lane goes down, and an injured Tharald "Toast" Simon gets torched repeatedly by Brady, with no Cliff Avril to hurry the throws.

I hope Pete's reclamation project brings out the best in this Colbert dude.

Latest posts