RW's Foundation raises millions. Less than half goes to charity

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Russell is Mr unlimited in how fast his reputation is unraveling. Its not like he can casually Tweet even his hospital visits now given The skepticism.

Chuckwow

Reaction score
Cringiest thing I've ever seen.

Mr unlimited and his Merry band of geeks dey be pickin out his gear yo.

That's not forced , he from dem mean suburbs.
Totally cringe.

When they finish investigating his charities, they might want to take a look into his cult.

* I should say here that I have not been a fan of Wilson for many years. But the one thing I wouldn't attack (without further information) is the charitable side of the guy. I am certainly not in the know, but I have no doubt Russ helped many that would not have been helped without him. If he made a few bucks in the process...no such thing as a free lunch, right? I think he probably did much more good than most ...and certainly more than I will ever do.

But the cult thing? Burn him at the stake, I say.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I always disliked charities (not the people they help) more in a sense of when I was the army, we HAD to give out of each check to a charity, so its like, Cool you pay us crap and you want us to give some of our money away? f that man lol.
I've suffered a similar situation in the private sector. A number of years ago, the plant manager at the facility of which I was a line supervisor at was the local coordinator for the United Way and once a year, would personally visit each of the shifts and ask for donations. If you wanted to remain in his good graces, you gave. If you didn't give a rip about your career, you'd hold onto your money.

RiverDog

Reaction score
There are thousands of foundations. Very likely, several are worse, no source needed other than the math of probability.

Look, the metaproblem here is that Russ insists his inner circle has to be his buddy circle. That’s how he has his agent, who is also his attorney, created the Situation that USA Today spent six months investigating.
So two wrongs make a right, is that what I'm hearing you say?

I could buy the excuse you offered in your second paragraph if it were not for Russell's non response response. What he should have said was something to the effect that...

"If there were some unintentional, honest mistakes were made that resulted in any issues with my foundation not paying its fair share of taxes, I'll pay them myself. I'll hire an independent non-profit attorney with the assignment of conducing a thorough review of our organizational structure and make recommendations for correcting any unethical practices he/she might find. It was not our intention to cheat the system or abuse the generosity of the many thousands of those that donated to our foundation. Please do not let this unfortunate incident dissuade you from supporting our cause."

But that's not what he said. All he did was parrot the same stuff that his director did when the story first broke. It was very disappointing. Russell is a better man than this.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
I suspect his charity will be better in the future & he'll make sure we know about it, which is a good thing.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score

I could buy the excuse you offered in your second paragraph if it were not for Russell's non response response. What he should have said was something to the effect that...

"If there were some unintentional, honest mistakes were made that resulted in any issues with my foundation not paying its fair share of taxes, I'll pay them myself. I'll hire an independent non-profit attorney with the assignment of conducing a thorough review of our organizational structure and make recommendations for correcting any unethical practices he/she might find. It was not our intention to cheat the system or abuse the generosity of the many thousands of those that donated to our foundation. Please do not let this unfortunate incident dissuade you from supporting our cause."

But that's not what he said. All he did was parrot the same stuff that his director did when the story first broke. It was very disappointing. Russell is a better man than this.

I completely agree. I’m not defending how Russ set up his philanthropy at all. I think it has led to his current pr problem and maybe irs problem.

He and his agent claim the foundation’s value is understated in their “partnership with excellent brands.” As in what, some signed merch? An off-season visit?

morgulon1

Reaction score

Maybe he isn't a better man.

I think lil limited boy believes the hype and 200 million will do that sort of thing
I'm sure. Banging Ciara and all the fame
will effect the view of oneself over time.

I am with you in that I have a feeling that at his core , he's not a bad dude but he's famous , surrounded by "yes geeks" which has to be worse than "yes men"
And has a distorted view of himself .

pmedic920

Reaction score
Or offer them a job, that's what I do. I have yet to have a single one of them take me up on it. Telling.
I’ve got a buddy that’s a home builder/general contractor.

He send his Forman out routinely and offers $25 per hour to panhandlers on the corners.

He told me lees a one out of 20 will do a days work, and less than 1 in 50 will do it two days in a row.
He told me he specifically targets those that have a sign “will work for food”.

Last edited:

pmedic920

Reaction score
Thanks for that info, every year I donate to several animal rescues, that may come to a halt with this knowledge..
I help my local shelter regularly.

I buy dog food in 50lb bags and take them directly myself.
I know that it’s helping the dogs, and nothing else.

Likewise, I’ll buy a couple burgers and fries and circle the block to feed the person on the corner, I never give them money.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Maybe he isn't a better man.

I think lil limited boy believes the hype and 200 million will do that sort of thing
I'm sure. Banging Ciara and all the fame
will effect the view of oneself over time.

I am with you in that I have a feeling that at his core , he's not a bad dude but he's famous , surrounded by "yes geeks" which has to be worse than "yes men"
And has a distorted view of himself .
Russell's undoubtedly changed since the time back in 2012 when he was this aw shucks rookie 3rd round draft pick looking to break the height barrier for quarterbacks, but I see no evidence that he's warped into this narcissistic, self absorbed personality that you're suggesting.
I help my local shelter regularly.

I buy dog food in 50lb bags and take them directly myself.
I know that it’s helping the dogs, and nothing else.

Likewise, I’ll buy a couple burgers and fries and circle the block to feed the person on the corner, I never give them money.
I saw an article once that advocated making up baggies that contained a bottled water, toothbrush/toothpaste, a couple of nutrition bars, and a business card with a phone number to a shelter to give to panhandlers. That likely goes over like a fart in church with them, but at least it relieves the giver of a guilty conscience.

hawker84

Reaction score
Lol at all the folks here quick to shame Wilson for this when the facts are this is very common place among charities. Not to mention Wilson doesn't handle the money, he's just the face of the charity. Try doing a little research before you drag the mans name through the mud. 🙄

morgulon1

Reaction score
Russell's undoubtedly changed since the time back in 2012 when he was this aw shucks rookie 3rd round draft pick looking to break the height barrier for quarterbacks, but I see no evidence that he's warped into this narcissistic, self absorbed personality that you're suggesting.

I saw an article once that advocated making up baggies that contained a bottled water, toothbrush/toothpaste, a couple of nutrition bars, and a business card with a phone number to a shelter to give to panhandlers. That likely goes over like a fart in church with them, but at least it relieves the giver of a guilty conscience.
I understand your view. I'm just going off some of the things said publicly by people around him , players , of course the press.

He's probably somewhere in between.this is a bad look though. A lot of people see this