Russell's words ring hallow

strohmin

Reaction score
Lol at the end of the day, Russell is a millionaire athlete/entrepreneur with a wife and kids and a successful career. I don't think venting fans criticizing his lifestyle or dedication is going to hurt him one bit.....

Jerhawk

Reaction score
If Wilson was taking time off of practice to talk with his agent about a new shoe deal, then yeah that's BS and needs to stop.

But he's not. He puts in the required time with the team, works very hard according to reports, then goes home and does stuff on his time.

We haven't heard anybody question his work ethic or effort. I question his ability to properly read a defense at times, but that's on the field.

Sea84hawks

Reaction score
HawkinNY":b330wnfv said:
He is going to demand top dollar in his next contract. Should the Hawks pay 40+ mil for a 34 year old QB? Who I believe has played his best football. Why not trade him and use the picks/players to go back to a young QB system with a great defense and running game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He is not worth more than 20 mil/season. Honestly, couldn't any back up qb match or do better than his performance since week 6???

OP
OP
QuahHawk

QuahHawk

Reaction score
nanomoz":1ryr9kig said:
Jerhawk":1ryr9kig said:
Like he should be? What is he, an overpaid slave now?

Pretty much what I'm getting out of this bull$hit thst is going so far as to judge the guy for having a family. It is sickening and irrational.

I am not critizing him for having a family. Those that have kids know how much time and energy it can take to raise them. Russ and C probably have a staff helping out. I was merely listing how many priorities he has and the things in life he is trying to juggle.

evergreen

Reaction score
The only reason anything else matters is his sudden decline. Do those off field activities have anything to do with his decline? It was like a tire going flat. From over pressured down to nothing...

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Nobody is saying Russ shouldn't have a life outside football. But he's at a point now where it's easy to get at least a little bit complacent given how many years he's been playing, the success he's had, etc. Michael Jordan had a wife and kids and stuff, but he always acted like winning basketball games was the most important thing in the world. Obviously Russ is very focused on football, but to me it seems like he's leaving a little bit on the table. Especially when considering how he was his first few years compared to now.

chris98251

Reaction score
Wilson needs to lose about 15 pounds, he has lost the quick twitch quickness.

He added the pounds to absorb hits.

Better play calls and roll outs would help him also.

OP
OP
QuahHawk

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":12my2qw0 said:
Wenhawk":12my2qw0 said:
If your a Salaried employee do you think your employer would like you working another full time job?

The real question/analogy would be more like "If you have multiple things you like to do outside of your salaried full time job, shouldn't your employer be able to tell you to stop and spend your free time thinking about how to get better at your job?"

Well If you are getting paid as a top 3 in your entire profession in the entire world, I think your employer expects you to do whatever it takes to perform like a Top 3 in your profession. If the things you were doing outside of work were distracting you form that performance, yes I think they would care how you are spending your free time.

Obviously we can't measure how much a dozen business ventures detracts from his on field performance.

Nov 15th - 0TD 2 INT L @ LA
Nov 17th - Launched a Fragrance
Dec 1st - Launched a Clothing Line

BleuEyedHawk

Reaction score
Wenhawk":2u7zqed7 said:
Maelstrom787":2u7zqed7 said:
Wenhawk":2u7zqed7 said:
If your a Salaried employee do you think your employer would like you working another full time job?

The real question/analogy would be more like "If you have multiple things you like to do outside of your salaried full time job, shouldn't your employer be able to tell you to stop and spend your free time thinking about how to get better at your job?"

Well If you are getting paid as a top 3 in your entire profession in the entire world, I think your employer expects you to do whatever it takes to perform like a Top 3 in your profession. If the things you were doing outside of work were distracting you form that performance, yes I think they would care how you are spending your free time.

Obviously we can't measure how much a dozen business ventures detracts from his on field performance.

Nov 15th - 0TD 2 INT L @ LA
Nov 17th - Launched a Fragrance
Dec 1st - Launched a Clothing Line

I agree with this.

Companies used to frown on and even prohibit employees from having second jobs outside of their primary positions. The thinking was that it was a distraction from giving their highest effort to the first job. It was called "moonlighting" back then and my dad said that his employer would sometimes fire people caught doing this as it was a contractual break.

Russell is a public figure making an ungodly amount of money. He's ripe for comments regarding his focus and commitment when he's not playing up to his proven potential. He was awarded a massive contract and seems to be backsliding. We, the public, are offered the same rote comments by him in pressers regarding the failures.

I've always been a fan of Russ's but I'm weary of this new slicked up guy. I always hope for a person's success but he doesn't seem like the same humble 'football Russ' that I've admired.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
QB is not a 9-5 job.

It requires total commitment. The team pays him handsomely to drive results that are pivotal for the team's success. There is no line between personal and professional, that is part of the reason the pay is so high. He is an investment because his salary prevents the opportunity to pay for players in other areas.

The idea that he can do whatever in his spare time and it not affect his game is laughable.

Hell, when we were marching to the SB the big talking point was how many extra hours he was putting in at the facility preparing for the games. Remember "Separation is in the preparation"?

When you are getting paid $40M a year AND NOT ACHIEVING THE GOALS then you shouldn't have much free time. Certainly not in-season enough to run 3 separate projects.

He is either sacrificing preparation, physical conditioning, or sleep. Maybe a bit of all of it. There are not enough hours to commit to being a professional QB in season and take on all those projects. So something is being sacrificed. And that is clear in the results he has put up since he stopped putting all those extra hours in at the facility.

His home life and free time is absolutely inbounds if it affects his on-field production. It is ridiculous to assert he deserves any kind of dividing line when the results are the very things he is judged for. And honestly, this season his results are the worst they have ever been (at least in the last half of the season).

It might be sheer coincidence that all of this comes at the same time he ramps up all these additional projects. But it is unlikely.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
I am with you guys. What the hell is Slick Wilson doing visiting sick Children?

He should be using that time to figure out how to work on check down patterns vs a soft zone. Kids will probably not make it anyway. And I need to be able to cheer more while I watch football and drink whisky on Sunday.

Some people are just selfish. Sad. Why does he keep knocking up that wife of his. If he just rubbed one out while taking a dump, he could use the time at night to study isolation routes vs nickel defenses instead of sexy time AGAIN.

Does he even care about old Hawk Strap anymore?

Why does he like perfume so much? You don't need to smell like flowers to convert a third and four.

I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber. Didn't want to do it. Felt I owed it to them.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Hes gotta try and keep the wife's career relevant. Wayne Gretzky did the same for a while but never was able to overcome police academy 6.

pinksheets

Reaction score
Hawk Strap":3p2bwoom said:

He should be using that time to figure out how to work on check down patterns vs a soft zone. Kids will probably not make it anyway. And I need to be able to cheer more while I watch football and drink whisky on Sunday.

Some people are just selfish. Sad. Why does he keep knocking up that wife of his. If he just rubbed one out while taking a dump, he could use the time at night to study isolation routes vs nickel defenses instead of sexy time AGAIN.

Why does he like perfume so much? You don't need to smell like flowers to convert a third and four.

I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber. Didn't want to do it. Felt I owed it to them.
Save this post for future generations to read.

kf3339

Reaction score
What this thread tells me is that this franchise has a lot of issues that truly needs addressed this off-season. RW is just one of those issues in my book. He doesn't seem more distracted than his first few seasons with our team. He has always done the Children's hospital visits which should be fine with anyone. His family is also very important to him as it should be.

But some of his other outside interests have taken his attention to various degrees. We aren't privy to how much, but it's pretty obvious that is the case.

What this really boils down to is a host of issues that ownership needs to deal with right now. But they won't because we have no real ownership with this team right now. What we do have is an estate plan that is run by a woman who has no understanding of this team, or the points that need addressed. I believe PA never intended for this team to be still within his estate plans. The team should have been sold by the winter of 2019 at the latest. But here we are in 2021 with no real direction other than a HC who is bordering on being delusional with his excuses for this team's failures.

RW words are as hollow as PC's right now. Both of them haven't a clue what to do.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Jerhawk":3ml1y4rq said:
If Wilson was taking time off of practice to talk with his agent about a new shoe deal, then yeah that's BS and needs to stop.

But he's not. He puts in the required time with the team, works very hard according to reports, then goes home and does stuff on his time.

We haven't heard anybody question his work ethic or effort. I question his ability to properly read a defense at times, but that's on the field.
Yeah, that crap with him spending his off season time working out with DK Metcalf was inexcusable.
He should also learn how to do a half-step drop back, so he can throw away the ball a lot faster, so's to keep pass rushers guys like Aaron Donald from getting to him within 2 seconds, because he has too many O-Linemen (like a bunch of others around the League) who can't pass Protect to save their lives.
Ya got to wonder how guys like Brady, Rodgers, Breese, & Mahomey are still able to handle the Pass rushers so well, I mean yeah, their Offensive Line are some of the best in the business @ pass protection, but that should be no excuse, eh?
Kind of Russ' fault that a QB with a broken thumb was able to hand our Defense this loss, maybe he should also learn how to play Defense, that way, he could just stay on the field, so he could be held responsible for their shortcomings too.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Hawk Strap":2o9nhtwe said:

Omg I'm dead. :lol: Post of the year, and it's only Jan 10th

Baker Mayfield and his old lady should really cut down on all these dang commercials. How can he film commercials and play football? Probably explains why the Browns are getting steamrolled by the Stealers

Tokadub

Reaction score
I think I posted basically this exact topic with way less details than this threads poster a few weeks ago... Interesting how nobody probably cared until we lost in the playoffs.

I think it's a very crucial point that to criticize him for his family life or hospital visits is just wrong.

BUT... his wife is a super famous celebrity so I'm sure... even if she completely understands he needs to focus on winning a Super Bowl and is the best possible unselfish wife... it's probably still way more distracting and time consuming than a normal woman. I might be wrong but it's hard to believe if I am.

I didn't even know about all the things Russell has been doing, that was quite an extensive list.

But for me, just the podcast was enough for me to doubt his focus and dedication. It's super public, it's literally on the front page of ESPN Seahawks page sometimes. For me it's not even about whether he is getting distracted (that's just a guess, some people can handle or even need to do all this stuff to stay sharp... others would play way worst if they tried).... so if we just guess if this is distracting Wilson or not, nobody can prove they are right.

BUT... it sent a VERY, VERY, VERYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY bad message to the team in my opinion. If your number 1 paid player is doing all this youtube stuff talking to celebrities etc... maybe that's why DK seems to have become more of a diva lately jumping into the empty stands to take a camera and get a penalty, crying on the sidelines in the playoffs probably directly resulting in that interception the next series... Even Jamal Adams just smoking a cigar in the post game press conference... All of these things can be attributed to Wilsons carefree attitude he is portraying with this podcast, he's wasting time not studying the game, not in the gym, not throwing to receivers etc.

The bottom line is that players are going to react to this kind of overconfident arrogant behavior and emulate it like DK Metcalf, or Jamal Adams. Or they are going to resent it and lose their mindset for winning football (probably the majority of the team).

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Tokadub":44oigvhk said:
I think I posted basically this exact topic with way less details than this threads poster a few weeks ago... Interesting how nobody probably cared until we lost in the playoffs.

I think it's a very crucial point that to criticize him for his family life or hospital visits is just wrong.

BUT... his wife is a super famous celebrity so I'm sure... even if she completely understands he needs to focus on winning a Super Bowl and is the best possible unselfish wife... it's probably still way more distracting and time consuming than a normal woman. I might be wrong but it's hard to believe if I am.

I didn't even know about all the things Russell has been doing, that was quite an extensive list.

But for me, just the podcast was enough for me to doubt his focus and dedication. It's super public, it's literally on the front page of ESPN Seahawks page sometimes. For me it's not even about whether he is getting distracted (that's just a guess, some people can handle or even need to do all this stuff to stay sharp... others would play way worst if they tried).... so if we just guess if this is distracting Wilson or not, nobody can prove they are right.

BUT... it sent a VERY, VERY, VERYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY bad message to the team in my opinion. If your number 1 paid player is doing all this youtube stuff talking to celebrities etc... maybe that's why DK seems to have become more of a diva lately jumping into the empty stands to take a camera and get a penalty, crying on the sidelines in the playoffs probably directly resulting in that interception the next series... Even Jamal Adams just smoking a cigar in the post game press conference... All of these things can be attributed to Wilsons carefree attitude he is portraying with this podcast, he's wasting time not studying the game, not in the gym, not throwing to receivers etc.

The bottom line is that players are going to react to this kind of overconfident arrogant behavior and emulate it like DK Metcalf, or Jamal Adams. Or they are going to resent it and lose their mindset for winning football (probably the majority of the team).

This is next-level scapegoating. Borderline insanity.

DK Metcalf pretended to be a pissing dog after a touchdown in college. Jamal Adams literally diva'd his way out of New York.

You mean to tell me that RUSSELL WILSON HAVING A PODCAST is the reason for two star players in the NFL having personality in their celebrations?

jeremiah

Reaction score
Tokadub":2vzu3n6u said:

Latest posts