Russell Wilson and the 3 year, $45.5 million baseline

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Anthony!":1dgol31s said:
Weather he is Elite or not is a matter of opinion, however one thing that is not is the fact that he has not had the weapons in the passing game around him that most of the top QBs have. He has never had his Gronk, his Nelson, his Hilton, and so on. Or an oline that is good at pass blocking. This year he has that weapon, but the oline is still a question mark. To me for him to do what he has given the lack of pass weapons around him makes him Elite. Not many other QBs could have done it. However that is a matter of opinion, and that is not taking into account what he does for our running game or how since Wilson our defense is on the field an avg of 6 minutes less than before Wilson. Add to all this he faces the most top 10 defenses in the league every year. In can think of only 1 QB currently playing that might be bale to do what Wilson has done with the limitation around him, RODGERS.

Yup, and that will only get worse if he gets the ~$25 million per year, including this year's salary, that his baseball agent is rumored to be asking for.

Rocket

Reaction score
aawolf":3tkeesah said:
Tannehill's agent, Pat Dye, got a call from JS congratulating him on costing him more money. LOL.
http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2015/5/1 ... ell-wilson
There ain't no discussion of a phone call in that page.
The headline is in error as well, or the tweet is. The word 'to" suggests it hasn't happened yet.
Words matter. All of 'em. :mrgreen:

Anthony!

Reaction score
Hawkpower":22z596gz said:
Anthony!":22z596gz said:
Hawkpower":22z596gz said:
Anthony!":22z596gz said:
Not to mention your HC already said Wilson is a huge reason for the success and is a huge part of the running game.

"your" head coach? Which coach directs the team you pull for on Sundays then if its not Pete?

Outing yourself again Anthony.

Dude try not to be such a jerk. I said it that way for a reason. The outing being done here is you outing yourself as a jerk. I have made it very clear what tam I pull for, I said it that was to make a point to the poster.

And what point was that, that you were trying to make? To be fair, it's like the third time you have slipped up and referred to the Seahawks from the outside, and it explains your posts completely. Its no worries man, you can pull for any team you like, you just have to understand you have a different perspective than many of the rest of us. You are a RW fan, first and foremost (which is cool!!) and the rest of us are SEAHAWK fans first, RW fans second.

Sorry for the hurt feelings my friend :) You seem like a passionate kid, not unlike myself when I was younger!

Ahh and again you are wrong I was a Seahawks fan before Wilson and will be after Wilson, I just am also a Wilson fan. Tie difference is I see how important he is to our team and a lot of you do not.

Anthony!

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2ozowdge said:
Anthony!":2ozowdge said:
Weather he is Elite or not is a matter of opinion, however one thing that is not is the fact that he has not had the weapons in the passing game around him that most of the top QBs have. He has never had his Gronk, his Nelson, his Hilton, and so on. Or an oline that is good at pass blocking. This year he has that weapon, but the oline is still a question mark. To me for him to do what he has given the lack of pass weapons around him makes him Elite. Not many other QBs could have done it. However that is a matter of opinion, and that is not taking into account what he does for our running game or how since Wilson our defense is on the field an avg of 6 minutes less than before Wilson. Add to all this he faces the most top 10 defenses in the league every year. In can think of only 1 QB currently playing that might be bale to do what Wilson has done with the limitation around him, RODGERS.

Yup, and that will only get worse if he gets the ~$25 million per year, including this year's salary, that his baseball agent is rumored to be asking for.

From what I have heard the only hold is the guaranteed money. Hawks want to keep at 20 mil or less and Wilson wants at least 40MIl+ Tannenhill is getting.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
This is why this fanbase can be so harsh sometimes, everyone is entitle to their opinion, but there are some out there ready to question a person's fandom. I love the Seahawks, I love Lynch, I love Wilson, I love the Defense. Here's a question for everyone, how much do you trust the FO, how much are willing to be ALL IN?

They finally built a team that they dreamt of and they were a play away from winning a 2nd Superbowl in 5 years. Besides that from 2012-present we have been a team that's been able to contend against some of the best. Ok with that in mind, how much do you trust the FO. That's what it comes down to. Us fan should stick with the team through whatever decision they make good or bad, win lose or draw. Whatever happened to that mentality, the problem is the fanbase got too use to winning all the time, and now expects nothing but wins wins wins, but what happens when they stop winning, will some of you still be there to support them? What about when every decision they make start crumbling down? I know there are alot of older folks here that stuck through all those losing seasons, are you scared that this franchise will go back to mediocrity? I think that's the reason why everyone has different opinions of what this teams need to keep succeeding, it's out of fear. It's the unknown of what will happen when we start losing the playmakers we do have.

The good news is we won't find out how good or bad this team will be until: a) Lynch retires this year or next year, so we will see how the running game function with Wilson and a new RB. b) Wilson leaves the Seahawks to another team in 2018, and c) Sherm, Earl, and Kam contract extensions.

Until then we have Wilson for 2016 and 2017 if he's franchised for those two years, and even if a contract extension was worked out for him, we will still have the core of Sherm, Earl until 2018, and 2017 for Kam.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
"your" head coach? Which coach directs the team you pull for on Sundays then if its not Pete?

Outing yourself again Anthony.[/quote]

Dude try not to be such a jerk. I said it that way for a reason. The outing being done here is you outing yourself as a jerk. I have made it very clear what tam I pull for, I said it that was to make a point to the poster.[/quote]

And what point was that, that you were trying to make? To be fair, it's like the third time you have slipped up and referred to the Seahawks from the outside, and it explains your posts completely. Its no worries man, you can pull for any team you like, you just have to understand you have a different perspective than many of the rest of us. You are a RW fan, first and foremost (which is cool!!) and the rest of us are SEAHAWK fans first, RW fans second.

Sorry for the hurt feelings my friend :) You seem like a passionate kid, not unlike myself when I was younger![/quote]

Ahh and again you are wrong I was a Seahawks fan before Wilson and will be after Wilson, I just am also a Wilson fan. Tie difference is I see how important he is to our team and a lot of you do not.[/quote]

Well, then I stand corrected. When you refer to Pete as "your" coach instead of "our" coach, combined with some derogatory comments about every other area of the team sans RW, I made assumptions and I should not have.

My apologies, and go hawks!

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kearly":aqwcyeo4 said:
Scottemojo":aqwcyeo4 said:
DJrmb":aqwcyeo4 said:
I really don't understand the argument of "He's been so undervalued in his rookie contract so we have to make up for that now". That is just completely asinine thinking. That's the same thing as telling someone they need to pay double the price for their car because the last time they got one on sale...

I agree we've gotten a deal on him in his first contract and that RW has played at a much higher level than his contract but that does not mean the team should be penalized or have to back pay him for past performance. That has nothing to do with his future and should have nothing to do with his coming contract. We took a "risk" on him and were smart enough to draft him in the 3rd round when everyone was saying "he's too small" and "he can't be an NFL QB". We took that risk and our reward was getting a Franchise QB on a great deal for the first few years.

Russell should be paid full market value for a Franchise QB now and going forward. He does not get extra because the Seahawks made a great pick in the draft and payed him what he was pre-slotted to make based on where he was drafted. So please people, stop with the crap about needing to pay RW more or pad his contract because he got payed so little in his first deal.
Call it asinine thinking all you want, I guarantee it is part of his and his agent's thought process.

I kinda disagree with you on this one. I don't think I've ever heard an agent make the "you owe us one" kind of argument at the bargaining table. I think there is well established understanding, particularly in the NFL, that deal-making is not an honor based business.

I do think that it probably impacts Wilson's current frustration level. And maybe that, in a roundabout sort of way, motivates Wilson and his agent to play hardball at the bargaining table.
I assume them trying to get the last year of his deal ripped up is exactly that, a you owe us one kind of thing.

Rocket

Reaction score
Anthony!":3tzc6doc said:
From what I have heard the only hold is the guaranteed money. Hawks want to keep at 20 mil or less and Wilson wants at least 40MIl+ Tannenhill is getting.
Kewl !! What/who is your source??? :shock:

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3v9ei288 said:
I assume them trying to get the last year of his deal ripped up is exactly that, a you owe us one kind of thing.

Tearing up the last cheap year to give him a 5/100 deal would be the same as giving him 4/100 in new money. Basically it would be like asking for $25 million AYP in new money.

Also, Seattle can't afford anything more than about a $10 million cap hit for Russell this offseason anyway. Even if Seattle didn't rip up that last year, the signing bonus would probably use up all the space Seattle has to give in 2015.

Ripping up the last year is probably a deal breaker. But Wilson's agent probably is smart enough to know that. I think what Wilson really wants is to sign a deal next year to take advantage of NFL inflation, or perhaps even the year after that. The only thing that will talk him out of it is Seattle blowing him away with an offer.

If I was JS, I'd offer $23 million AYP (that doesn't rip up the last year) and see if Wilson bites. If Wilson plays his cards right, he'll end up with a deal that pays more than that amount in a year or two.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Hawkpower":18cad22q said:

Outing yourself again Anthony.

Dude try not to be such a jerk. I said it that way for a reason. The outing being done here is you outing yourself as a jerk. I have made it very clear what tam I pull for, I said it that was to make a point to the poster.[/quote]

Sorry for the hurt feelings my friend :) You seem like a passionate kid, not unlike myself when I was younger![/quote]

Ahh and again you are wrong I was a Seahawks fan before Wilson and will be after Wilson, I just am also a Wilson fan. Tie difference is I see how important he is to our team and a lot of you do not.[/quote]

Well, then I stand corrected. When you refer to Pete as "your" coach instead of "our" coach, combined with some derogatory comments about every other area of the team sans RW, I made assumptions and I should not have.

My apologies, and go hawks![/quote]

That's fine but while you are saying derogatory comments about every area of the team I guess you miss were I say Lynch is a top 5 back and the best for our offense. or when I say we do have a great defense. Just because I point out they have their short comings does not mean I do not think they are great. Just like when you and others constantly pointing of Wilson and saying how we win with Lynch and the dense that is putting Wilson down. It always amazes me how some any can make derogatory remarks about our QB and that is okay but how dare you say something about the defense or Lynch. That while I say when the defense and Lynch mess up I also say that they are very good. FYI I also point out when Wilson messes up.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
kearly":2x4840lq said:
Scottemojo":2x4840lq said:

Tearing up the last cheap year to give him a 5/100 deal would be the same as giving him 4/100 in new money. Basically it would be like asking for $25 million AYP in new money.

Also, Seattle can't afford anything more than about a $10 million cap hit for Russell this offseason anyway. Even if Seattle didn't rip up that last year, the signing bonus would probably use up all the space Seattle has to give in 2015.

Ripping up the last year is probably a deal breaker. But Wilson's agent probably is smart enough to know that. I think what Wilson really wants is to sign a deal next year to take advantage of NFL inflation, or perhaps even the year after that. The only thing that will talk him out of it is Seattle blowing him away with an offer to sign now.

If I was JS, I'd offer $23 million AYP (that doesn't rip up the last year) and see if Wilson bites. If Wilson plays his cards right, he'll end up with a deal that pays more than that amount in a year or two.

The more I think about it, the more I believe Wilson wants to gamble on himself.. win a Super Bowl like Flacco.. then cash in for a hugeeee deal.

The 20M a year price would be a bargain if Wilson goes out there in 2015 and gets to a 3rd straight SB and wins another one. On the flip side, barring a major injury.. that 20M a year price won't change at all if he does not.

Its a gamble for sure in this type of sport, but with a roster this deep and talented.. its a risk that Wilson may see worth taking.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Rocket":1i1cklkv said:
Anthony!":1i1cklkv said:

It was an article on the Times earlier this month

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":l3n700g2 said:
Rocket":l3n700g2 said:
Anthony!":l3n700g2 said:

It was an article on the Times earlier this month

Link please.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Anthony!":2w6pvvsa said:
hawknation2015":2w6pvvsa said:
Anthony!":2w6pvvsa said:

Really now? Source please.

Hey on a personal note....you need to relax man before you miss our run into history WITH Wilson. All this drama is just the usual dog and pony act that every quarterback negotiation has. Heck, even Alex Smith's was more contentious.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Lots of good information in this thread, especially the OP. You guys are a lot better at doing your homework than I am.

Thanks a bunch!

McGruff

Reaction score
I'm going to roll out a few plausible scenarios to dispel the "we can't afford RW" myth . . .

We could easily extend Russell Wilson for 4 additional years at $100 million with a $20 million signing bonus and the first three years guaranteed ($50 million total guaranteed) and it would only cost us $5.5 million against the cap this year, $15 million next and $21.5 in 2017 . . . after it would get cumbersome, but manageable with cap increases.

Pushing that SB to $30 million makes it more expensive upfront, with more guaranteed money overall, but lessons to blow significantly on the back end.

Pushing the SB to $40 million makes it pretty hard to do anything else in 2015, but really evens out the impact throughout the contract. Under this scenario you could have a contract that never exceeds more than $25 million against the cap.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2e9dxli0 said:
The more I think about it, the more I believe Wilson wants to gamble on himself.. win a Super Bowl like Flacco.. then cash in for a hugeeee deal.

The 20M a year price would be a bargain if Wilson goes out there in 2015 and gets to a 3rd straight SB and wins another one. On the flip side, barring a major injury.. that 20M a year price won't change at all if he does not.

Its a gamble for sure in this type of sport, but with a roster this deep and talented.. its a risk that Wilson may see worth taking.

It'll be interesting to see how this all works out.

While all true, I don't know if Pete and John want to pay Russell the 25M for 4-5 years that he's after..........even if we win another SB. There seems to be two philosophies in the NFL right now;

1. Get yourself an Elite QB, pay him 25M and let him throw the ball 40-50 times a game and win games 45-35.

2. Build an Elite defense, pound the rock and win games 21-10. This is what we've been doing. So can this team have the depth and defense needed to win with paying Russell 25M a year? We saw the D fall apart in the SB due to lack of depth vs. 2013 team. So not sure if we can.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":3s6bheeh said:
we ended the season with 6 wins in a row and Wilson had a Qb rating of 102 during that time and a complt % of 65, 7 tds and only 2 ints. and a 9.2 ypa. Sure does not seem like a passing game that had issues. They could have been better but having a #1 target will help that. As to the rest of your post your entitled to your opinion. To be your biggest issue appears to be that Wilson does things when a play breaks down that usually works but sometimes does not, and that sometimes his team is not on the same page. You could be right, but the bigger question is why are the plays breaking down so much that it is a concern, and that answer is a combination of oline, wr, and play calling.
Of course what I was referring to was Wilson's post-season performance where he threw 4 interceptions against Green Bay and barely completed a pass in the first half against New England. He created some serious holes for the team to come back from, and if we compare the last two Super Bowl performances, I think we agree it's better to be in the lead than chasing one. Wilson had absolutely atrocious starts in both games, independent of his receivers getting open or offensive line play. He was simply indecisive and inaccurate.

Again, I like he guy and want to keep him - I think he shows some special traits. However, I think we all need to be realistic - he doesn't magically make running backs into stars and the sun does not always shine from his bottom. He also has bad days, and rather disconcertingly, two of those bad days were in the NFC Championship and Super Bowl. The question must be asked: is he trying too hard?

The other question must be asked: Is he the best QB in the NFL, and of not should he be paid as if he was?