Russell Wilson and the 3 year, $45.5 million baseline

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
mikehawks":g55iielp said:
It is very possible that Russell Wilson will be gone in 2016. It's very obvious that he wants to break the bank, so I'm almost positive he will be gone in 2016. I have been wrong before, but this one looks obvious. I think the front office would give him 10-12 million a year, but if he wants 17+ million a year, a very difficult decision will be made. The team, management, and many fans love Russell Wilson, but one person is not above the team. At the very least, they will draft a QB next year and at the most extreme, trading Wilson to another team this year could be done.

Please stop. :lol:

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Tical21":1bb3or5n said:
The Tannehill deal was pretty bad for the Seahawks.

I like Tannehill a lot, actually I really wanted the Hawks to take him. I don't think he's going to live up to the contract, however, and think the Dolphins will regret this decision, bringing up the question again about the logic of paying these QB's so much money. He's still young though, so I find this to be better than the Romo/Alex Smith deals out there.

I do find it a bit funny that SO MANY Seahawks fans were convinced that Russell would take a huge discount because he's such a nice guy. I wonder how many are feeling disillusioned with #3 right about now. Not that I hold it against him.....much. I think he should take a bit of a lesser deal for quite a few reasons but was quite certain he wasn't about to do anything like it.

The Tannehill deal won't remotely affect the Wilson deal one way or the other. The only thing it may do is establish a baseline which was already in place with the Dalton/Kaepernick deals. Also that deal is like every other huge contract extension .. at the crux, it's a much shorter and cheaper deal than is being reported. All that's guaranteed is 2 years, $25M.

McGruff

Reaction score
mikehawks":3dr3xhyp said:
It is very possible that Russell Wilson will be gone in 2016. It's very obvious that he wants to break the bank, so I'm almost positive he will be gone in 2016. I have been wrong before, but this one looks obvious. I think the front office would give him 10-12 million a year, but if he wants 17+ million a year, a very difficult decision will be made. The team, management, and many fans love Russell Wilson, but one person is not above the team. At the very least, they will draft a QB next year and at the most extreme, trading Wilson to another team this year could be done.

If the front office is only offering 10-12 million a year, they are stupid.

If Russell Wilson is only asking $17 million a year, he is stupid.

I suspect those numbers are closer to $20 million and $25 million, respectively.

And Wilson isn't going anywhere for at least 3 years. One year under rookie money and 2 under franchise tags.

mikehawks

Reaction score
[/quote]

If the front office is only offering 10-12 million a year, they are stupid.

If Russell Wilson is only asking $17 million a year, he is stupid.

I suspect those numbers are closer to $20 million and $25 million, respectively.

And Wilson isn't going anywhere for at least 3 years. One year under rookie money and 2 under franchise tags.[/quote]

Alright, anyone do the math on the cap? I would say, I know next to nothing on how they balance the books, but to me it doesn't look like they have 20 million to give to Russell Wilson.... Someone wanna try to balance the books with a 20 million dollar contract?

If they do over pay him (give him current market value), than the team will be at the cap limit, which means the team has no room to improve other places. So, I don't see it happening.

Let see someone balance the books....

Just for the record. I have grown to appreciate Russell Wilson's contribution to the team, but with that said, I think he is overrated by many. He is an above average quarterback, elite quarterbacks do NOT throw interceptions to lose a Superbowl when the game is on the line.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mikehawks":1puhg0mu said:
Alright, anyone do the math on the cap? I would say, I know next to nothing on how they balance the books, but to me it doesn't look like they have 20 million to give to Russell Wilson.... Someone wanna try to balance the books with a 20 million dollar contract?

If they do over pay him (give him current market value), than the team will be at the cap limit, which means the team has no room to improve other places. So, I don't see it happening.

Just for the record. I have grown to appreciate Russell Wilson's contribution to the team, but with that said, I think he is overrated by many. He is an above average quarterback, elite quarterbacks do NOT throw interceptions to lose a Superbowl when the game is on the line.

Well according to Sportrac, we've got about 11-12M of cap space right now for 2015.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/cap/

So if they give Wagner and Wilson new deals this year, my guess is both would have to be back ended deals with low 1st and 2nd year hits.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
mikehawks":1feqdr27 said:
Alright, anyone do the math on the cap? I would say, I know next to nothing

Really could have stopped here. But anyway

To me it doesn't look like they have 20 million to give to Russell Wilson.... Someone wanna try to balance the books with a 20 million dollar contract?

Just for the record. I have grown to appreciate Russell Wilson's contribution to the team, but with that said, I think he is overrated by many.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/seahawks-anal ... ree-agency

All right there for you. Funny enough even though it's an older article, he even mentions Graham's cap hit

He is an above average quarterback, elite quarterbacks do NOT throw interceptions to lose a Superbowl when the game is on the line.

You know what. You're right. It never happens. Cut Wilson tomorrow.

[youtube]NBX-zm024tE[/youtube]

mikehawks

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":25v968hx said:
mikehawks":25v968hx said:
Alright, anyone do the math on the cap? I would say, I know next to nothing

Really could have stopped here. But anyway

To me it doesn't look like they have 20 million to give to Russell Wilson.... Someone wanna try to balance the books with a 20 million dollar contract?

Just for the record. I have grown to appreciate Russell Wilson's contribution to the team, but with that said, I think he is overrated by many.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/seahawks-anal ... ree-agency

All right there for you. Funny enough even though it's an older article, he even mentions Graham's cap hit

He is an above average quarterback, elite quarterbacks do NOT throw interceptions to lose a Superbowl when the game is on the line.

That article gives Russell Wilson 9 million right? Seahawks don't have the money, end of story. Someone have the time to do a full break down?

mikehawks

Reaction score
Hasselbeck,

Peyton Manning....Come on! Did you see what the Seahawks did to him two Superbowls ago? Manning is great in the regular season, but falls short in post season. You can always find an exception to the rule. So, you are arguing that Wilson is elite?

Not gonna debate. Someone do the numbers.....

By the way, do you think Tom Brady would of made that throw?

mistaowen

Reaction score
mikehawks":e5j3scwe said:
Hasselbeck,

Peyton Manning....Come on! Did you see what the Seahawks did to him two Superbowls ago? Manning is great in the regular season, but falls short in post season. You can always find an exception to the rule. So, you are arguing that Wilson is elite?

By the way, do you think Tom Brady would of made that throw?

Brady threw a gross pick to Lane in the red zone earlier in the game, so...yeah.

Throwing your opinion in the ring and then saying you aren't gonna debate is also hilarious.

Rocket

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3lh6eysq said:
mikehawks":3lh6eysq said:

Nope... the good ones never do that. Peyton Manning is clearly mediocre. The BEST quarterbacks still miss one every now and then. Even that brady softball player.

QUIZ: when Wilson is questioned and Brady is offered up as a demi-god would the use of the letters "hawk" in a name misleading? Hypothetically?

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
mikehawks":3k2ehrvg said:
Your mind is made up without any knowledge of the salary cap and QB numbers (your words, not bashing you). Why keep asking others to do work for you that you clearly won't read, understand or even consider?

mikehawks

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":2w7xebt3 said:
mikehawks":2w7xebt3 said:
Your mind is made up without any knowledge of the salary cap and QB numbers (your words, not bashing you). Why keep asking others to do work for you that you clearly won't read, understand or even consider?

I did read an article that says, 9 million to Russell Wilson that someone posted. I was suggesting 10-12 million, so I wasn't to far off from the article. Another user posted there is only 10 million left on the cap this year. So, maybe I did read, understand, and consider. I also did my own research and concluded that the Seahawks don't have the money this year, not unless they make some cuts, but I'm far from an expert on these things. So, I feel someone that is more of an expert can do the numbers.

You can bash my knowledge of salary for pro sports, because I never balanced the books for the NFL before. I'm hoping someone can tell me that there is enough money, but so far the answer is no. I'm pretty exhausted of this topic, so good luck with all your speculations and what not.

massari

Reaction score
Carroll and Schneider know what Wilson is worth more than anyone, so if they don't want to pay him what he's asking for, I'll trust them.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
mikehawks":r3mvf97w said:
Hawkfan77":r3mvf97w said:
mikehawks":r3mvf97w said:

I did read an article that says, 9 million to Russell Wilson that someone posted. I was suggesting 10-12 million, so I wasn't to far off from the article. Another user posted there is only 10 million left on the cap this year. So, maybe I did read, understand, and consider. I also did my own research and concluded that the Seahawks don't have the money this year, not unless they make some cuts, but I'm far from an expert on these things. So, I feel someone that is more of an expert can do the numbers.

You can bash my knowledge of salary for pro sports, because I never balanced the books for the NFL before. I'm hoping someone can tell me that there is enough money, but so far the answer is no. I'm pretty exhausted of this topic, so good luck with all your speculations and what not.
There's enough money. There's enough money for Russell and Bobby.

I'm not sure what article you're referring to, but the talk has been if the extension gets done this year, his cap hit could be in the 9 million range for next season only. Not 9 per year.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Seahawks could theoretically sign Wilson to a contract this year, that allows him to get paid now, without costing more than 3-4 million against the cap.

For instance if you gave Russell an Aaron Rodgers level contract extension for of 5 years, 110 million added to his last year of his rookie contract. It would be 6 years for 110 million. So maybe you can deduct his last year of rookie pay and give him a 6 year apy of $20 million by adding another 8-9 million to make it 6 years, 120 million.

Lets say you give Wilson a 16m signing bonus for 2015. It would theoretically only charge $4m against the cap but the pay out for him will be 17-18m in 2015. Maybe not the 21 mil his agent is supposedly pushing for this year but better than playing on his rookie deal. Considering Wilson will probably continue to increase his endorsements to the tune of 8-12m.

Then in 2016, in the form of a roster bonus in his contract, you convert that into another signing bonus. Let's say $24.

It would be technically be a $40 million signing bonus across 5 years or $8 mil apy.

Aaron Rodger's signing bonus was $35m across 4 years or 8.75.

For Russ's 2016 salary you could still keep it low lets say a guaranteed $5 million base, he would cost $15m against the cap, make $29m. That would push his 2015 and 2016 money to 46m or 23m apy.

The only thing doing it this way... is that you would have to fit about $100m in cap charges in his last four years. But Seahawks will have the money to do that in 2017 one way or another.

The only thing that makes sense giving Wilson all this money is that the contract is tempered with a security blanket of reachable Performance Incentives that we know he can reach to keep him on his game as well as plenty of incentives that only the best and elite QBs can reach to continue to transform and expand his game for the better.

MarylandHawk

Reaction score
It will be hilarious when our QB holds out until we go 0-4 preseason. See how fast we come up off the money then.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Once Shaun Alexander's contract is up, I'm sure we'll have plenty of money to sign everyone.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Wierd question if I may? What do you think the NFLPA would say if we worked him with a contract at about 18 apy? Do they have any say in this situation do you think?? Just curious.

netskier

Reaction score
I predict that they sign the deal before the season starts, and that no holdout is necessary. Just my uneducated guess, hunch, informed basically by what I have read here. I just feel optimistic about this working out very well.

I am also pretty optimistic about management's plan B, whatever that is. I suspect they have lots of plan B's.

Note: violates Roland's Rules, to avoid bs.

Latest posts