Rumor... Clowney to Seattle

toffee

Reaction score
Let’s look at it from Another angle, our plan b and plan c, Yannick Ngakoue is franchise tagged at $17 mil+, how much is Griffen? Clowney knew our plan B/C are over $17mil, he wouldn’t settle for less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Does the team really want to trade away a first and 2nd rd. pick for YN who we'd have no guarantee of re-signing after a year?

Seems to me we did similar to that with Richardson and it now appears also the case with Clowney. Isn't this starting to get to being expensive fun for one year rentals? If YN is the fall back plan then the team will have recently given up a 2nd for McDowell = no return, a second for Richardson for 1 year, a 3rd for Clowney for 1 year, and then a first and a second for Yannick Ngakoue for 1 year and perhaps the ability to franchise again but with no certainty re-signing.

This seems like a genuine waste of significant early team building draft potential, but then again we'd not have had the year from each.

Coachbp

Reaction score
I think if the team is willing to trade picks for YN ,it would benefit the team. And of course there are undrafted free agents to sign after the draft in which they do so well. But the issue is still Clowney. He is rehabbing and wanting money that Mack and A. Darnold makes. That special game in S.F. is special no doubt. Will giving him 20 million a year is going to make him motivated to do it again in every game? What is his focus? Sure these are questions to answer. Heck the alternate would be signing Leonard Willams after the Giants realizes giving him the franchise tag was a stupid idea. Plus sign Griffin.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
jammerhawk":2r7pivyz said:
Does the team really want to trade away a first and 2nd rd. pick for YN who we'd have no guarantee of re-signing after a year?

Seems to me we did similar to that with Richardson and it now appears also the case with Clowney. Isn't this starting to get to being expensive fun for one year rentals? If YN is the fall back plan then the team will have recently given up a 2nd for McDowell = no return, a second for Richardson for 1 year, a 3rd for Clowney for 1 year, and then a first and a second for Yannick Ngakoue for 1 year and perhaps the ability to franchise again but with no certainty re-signing.

This seems like a genuine waste of significant early team building draft potential, but then again we'd not have had the year from each.

The Jags aren't getting a 1st and 2nd for Ngouke, not a chance.

They can demand anything they want, but they have very little leverage over a player that's demanding to be traded and they had to franchise, which messes up their cap.

Ngouke's a very good player that still might not be at his peak, but 10 sacks is not 1st and 2nd demand territory on a franchise tag. It's a late first or maybe just a 2nd tops.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":m21a2mzj said:
jammerhawk":m21a2mzj said:

The Jags aren't getting a 1st and 2nd for Ngouke, not a chance.

They can demand anything they want, but they have very little leverage over a player that's demanding to be traded and they had to franchise, which messes up their cap.

Ngouke's a very good player that still might not be at his peak, but 10 sacks is not 1st and 2nd demand territory on a franchise tag. It's a late first or maybe just a 2nd tops.
The other thing is that if Clowney signs elsewhere we get a 3rd round comp pick and we got him as a one year rental at no draft capital cost plus Jacob Martin.

That said, I want him back.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Aren't the Hawks kind of upside down on the compesnatory pick calculation at the moment?

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I have expressed an opinion very similar to what Jammer posted above and have thought about the alternatives we're all entertaining. But as I watch what's happening, and not happening, here is what I've concluded...the perfect storm that will result in Clowney to Seattle has materiized. Here's why...
The Seahawk principles and CLowney have repeatedly, publicly, expressed a desire to have Clowney playing as a Seahawk. But Clowney's contract stipulated that he not be tagged to allow him to test the FA waters. Seattle honored that agreement, proving their intent for fair and honest negotiation. Clowney can not deny any of that. He gave a statement insinuating he wanted his contract to set the bar for players at his position. That statement is a critical cog in what transpired with the onset of actual FA activity.
Other teams expressed interest in Clowney, but the price tag he flashed inspired nearly all those teams to opt for other players at lower $. Miami made an offer of $17M, which he turned down. There are rumors floating that Seattle offered him 13.5M. There are other rumors that Seattle offered 18.5. I seriously doubt the former and am inclined to believe the latter is far more accurate. IF that is true it gave Clowney 2 reasons in hand to spurn the Miami offer. He said he wanted to play for a contender and he said he wanted to play in Seattle.
During the FA period other teams have filled their opening/s at edge/rush resulting in the market going virtually dry. It appears there are no teams willing or able to pony up what he was hoping to get, so what's he going to do?
He's going to wait, giving Seattle whatever time it takes them to make the moves that will enable them to pay Clowney what they offered, and I think what they offered is pushing the bar set by the market. I expect he will get right around 18.5M. And I expect him to take it and play happy.
The perfect storm.
Unless our stadium is still a hospital.

TAB420

Reaction score
Maybe we should change the name of this topic to "my opinion on the Clowney situation"

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Well even Rob Staton has used the 18.5 number as recently as March 23rd. That aside the longer this goes on the more likely it is Seattle is put in a position where there's only one good option left and they have to either pay him what he wants or try to solve this through the draft or a trade. Not a good position to be in . They need to get something done the longer they wait the less options they will have. Eventually someone will make a deal with Griffen or Clowney putting Seattle in a weaker position.

Reaction score
I don't know I am getting a little worried. I could see a team like the Ravens sign him. For 1 the Mike Brockers deal fell through so they will have some money freed up. 2. They could use a another edge rusher opposite of Calais Campbell. 3. It would get him a little bit closer to home. 4. He said he wants to play for a contender and one could argue that between them and KC they are probably Super Bowl favorites.

Now not being able to run a physical on him at this time gives us a advantage. The longer this drags out the more leverage we lose.

warden

Reaction score
I heard some buzz that the new CBA eliminates comp picks

massari

Reaction score
getnasty":2kdnvjkf said:
Maelstrom787":2kdnvjkf said:
massari":2kdnvjkf said:
Never seen this before.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/BaldyNFL/status/1194304880539627520[/tweet]

He absolutely took that game over.

He did! If that's what you saw week in and week out he would have got at least 20 million a year
"Complicating matters for Clowney is that he’s coming off surgery for a core muscle injury, and teams will want a thorough physical before signing him. Those physicals are more difficult to arrange because of the COVID-19 pandemic."

jmahon316

Reaction score
While I do apologize for drunkenly posting my opinions on this topic -- As I am drunk right now -- I think it stands relevant that the longer Clowney remains unsigned, the more he is dragging his feet trying to get the "best deal possible" while also abandoning his statement of how he "loves the Seahawks" and "wants to be part of a contender team", despite turning down a multi-year 17m/year deal with the Dolphins. I think the longer he waits, the more of a hypocrite he is, holding out for that sweet, sweet balance of money and contending team. The longer he waits, the less paycheck he gets, which ultimately benefits us. Once again, Sh!t or get off the pot, Clowney.

cheese22

Reaction score
If Clowney is intent on playing for a contender, does he realize that the more money he makes, the less they'll have to pay a supporting cast? Even RW for that matter. To give their team the best shot at a title, they have to want the best teammates around them. Yet, they hold out over a couple million. The couple million that could persuade someone like Griffen to sign here. On a smaller contract, that couple million means a lot more than it does on a contract for twice that amount.
That's one reason I respect Peyton Manning. He's restructured his contract a couple times to free up enough money to sign needed talent. It would be nice to see a Hawk do the same, namely Clowney now or RW.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Thought about commenting on the Russ thing (even though this is a Clowney thread) but I'll likely just get called a Russ worshiper or troll so.....

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
something brewing. Might get clowney locked down here shortly

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1245071721272471552[/tweet]

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Can russ restructure his deal to fit both griffen and clowney? I would if i was a player who wanted to win but i won't ever make that money and live that lifestyle.

I dont want to get this thread off topic but i believe russ our highest paid?

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":1oa6ll0o said:
Can russ restructure his deal to fit both griffen and clowney? I would if i was a player who wanted to win but i won't ever make that money and live that lifestyle.

I dont want to get this thread off topic but i believe russ our highest paid?

By far. 15.5% of the cap next year.