Rosenthal: Possible Surprise Training Camp Cuts (2 Seahawks)

Ozzy

Reaction score
I know I'm in the minority but I just can't see Michael getting cut especially with Turbin not healthy. I still predict this year we see the Michael we've all been waiting for. I think he shocks people. Having said that I can totally see the other side of the argument and at times have to talk myself out of it. :)

edogg23

Reaction score
If they have to cut Mebane in order to clear enough money for Bobby Wagner, I'm all for it. You can't keep everyone.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
rideaducati":1n6er9v5 said:
I think Kearse will be the surprise cut this year.
Why?

Not that expensive, knows the O, better than average WR with reasonable size, who has a good rapport with Wilson. I'd have tosee a good reason why before I accept this as likely. Not renewing him for big money next year after his RFA deal is up seems more probable. He could return a late comp pick if not re-signed b/c someone will sign him to reasonable contract.

Despite my earlier post I guess I could see Mebane being traded if another team needed a NT, but he won't be cut. He could be a valuable trade piece for a character player who will deliver a solid role for his new team.

Michael needs to have a 'show me' camp but

kf3339

Reaction score
kearly":3ib1fjuq said:
Seattle didn't draft a DT or RB. They signed Rubin, but Rubin is here to replace Williams.

They aren't going to cut Mebane without having a guy on the team to replace him. And they won't cut Michael for a no-name scrub before the preseason.

Barring a Lendale White situation, we generally haven't seen any surprise preseason cuts before the first cutdown date.

This. They aren't cutting Mebane.

rideaducati

Reaction score
jammerhawk":2qsvrkgv said:
rideaducati":2qsvrkgv said:
I think Kearse will be the surprise cut this year.
Why?

Not that expensive, knows the O, better than average WR with reasonable size, who has a good rapport with Wilson. I'd have tosee a good reason why before I accept this as likely. Not renewing him for big money next year after his RFA deal is up seems more probable. He could return a late comp pick if not re-signed b/c someone will sign him to reasonable contract.

Despite my earlier post I guess I could see Mebane being traded if another team needed a NT, but he won't be cut. He could be a valuable trade piece for a character player who will deliver a solid role for his new team.

Michael needs to have a 'show me' camp but

Kearse is not a "better than average" WR. He wouldn't be a starter on many other teams in this league. I think Kearse will be the fourth wide receiver this year behind Lockett, Baldwin, and Matthews. I also think his price/production vs others on the team can be replaced and save two million dollars. The Seahawks can then use those extra two million dollars as part of a signing bonus to get Wagner a new deal before the season starts.

I think Kearse is the new Obomanu... Good enough to make the team every year, but not really a great starter. Shows flashes, but lacks consistency. Would be great to have as an injury replacement off the bench and can produce for a game or two, but not a WR you want as your starter. If Kearse is a starter, the WR corps as a whole is REALLY BAD.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
kobebryant":3srqxxc9 said:
brimsalabim":3srqxxc9 said:
Can we cut Bennett and Irivin and use the cash to sign the rest of them?

I don't see any upside to cutting Bennett and Irvin.

Bennett is a great value, on a very reasonable deal compared to how good of a player he is.

Irvin is inexpensive, on the last year of his deal, and versatile; also, I'm not sure how much would be saved by cutting him. If Carpenter wasn't cut prior to his rookie deal expiring I see no reason Irvin would be.

Neither move would make much sense. Both moves would make the team worse.

Last season Bennett averaged about 2 tackles per game and what 7 sacks for the season? That's pretty average numbers at best. I'm not sure how good he actually is considering he has the best secondary in football behind him to allow him time to get to the QB. His current deal may be fair enough but his constant whining and disruptions when coupled with his unreasonable demands for a raise he did not earn are tiresome. If we can't keep everyone I'd just as soon he be the one who departs.

HawkMeat

Reaction score
brimsalabim":32xqgwxx said:
kobebryant":32xqgwxx said:
brimsalabim":32xqgwxx said:

Bennett is a great value, on a very reasonable deal compared to how good of a player he is.

Irvin is inexpensive, on the last year of his deal, and versatile; also, I'm not sure how much would be saved by cutting him. If Carpenter wasn't cut prior to his rookie deal expiring I see no reason Irvin would be.

Last season Bennett averaged about 2 tackles per game and what 7 sacks for the season? That's pretty average numbers at best. I'm not sure how good he actually is considering he has the best secondary in football behind him to allow him time to get to the QB. His current deal may be fair enough but his constant whining and disruptions when coupled with his unreasonable demands for a raise he did not earn are tiresome. If we can't keep everyone I'd just as soon he be the one who departs.
Overall sack numbers don't tell the entire story. QB hurries and pressure so other lineman can clean up is of huge value, and how that helps the secondary.. Bennett brings this in spades. It is too bad seattle doesn't have a strong pass rusher outside Avril and knucklehead.

seedhawk

Reaction score
I can actually see Bennets point. 2 years ago on his prove it deal, he did, while playing less than 60% of D snaps. Last year, due to injuries, etc, he wound up playing like 78% of D snaps. Increased workload, getting beat up that many more plays per year, yeah, I think I can see where he would desire a bit more cash.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
That's a ridiculous way to look at it. He had to play more snaps because he got a huge pay raise with the new contract that he signed.

kobebryant

Reaction score
brimsalabim":3t8979rt said:
kobebryant":3t8979rt said:
brimsalabim":3t8979rt said:

We'll have to disagree. I just don't get it.

Leaving Avril, Marsh and Clark as the only edge rushers would drastically hurt the team.

Further, how much in cap advantages would be gained by cutting Bennett and Irvin?

chris98251

Reaction score
More fantasy stats trying to argue a players worth, Bennett gets attention of two to three players every snap allowing others to put up numbers, he still gets average numbers dealing with that. That's like saying Kennedy sucked because he didn't have monster numbers every year as well, Tez also didn't play all across the line at every position creating mismatches that a OC has to compensate for.