RIP NFL Legend Jim Brown

chris98251

Reaction score
The most dynamic and unstoppable RB ever in the NFL who quit in his prime.

Yes he played in a era where he was as big as a lot of lineman, freak of nature in that day and age. Almost like Earl Campbell playing against a High School team.

RIP Mr. Brown !

RiverDog

Reaction score
My earliest recollection of watching football includes Jimmy Brown, and in my mind, he's still the best running back that I've ever seen, and he retired at the peak of his career, having played just 9 seasons. He also starred in one of my favorite war movies of all time, The Dirty Dozen, with Lee Marvin and Charles Bronson.

RIP.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
87 is better than I expected him to do.
Best ever?In his time yes but I put Barry ahead of everyone.
I apologize but I really didn't respect this guy after multiple times
of beating,sexual assault and rape of women over the years..This
all can be googled up but anyway he is facing his judgment now.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
He definitely was one of the best... with Sayers, Dickerson, OJ, Campbell, Sweetness and Sanders. I'm prolly forgetting one or two but he was elite... in a class of his own.

RIP, brother.

chris98251

Reaction score
Before everyone judges him, I have to wonder given the Era and violence in which he played along with the equipment, the helmets were a mere shell with thin padding and he took many hits to the head, back then players were woke up when dazed with smelling salts and went back in. CTE is what I am getting at, he was opiniated, a strong advocate for racial justice etc, but most the crimes he is accused of happened post football or after he had played a significant amount of time. Just a thought for those that want to trample his body.

RiverDog

Reaction score
As was the case with a lot of professional athletes from back then, Brown had a dark side to him, and it makes you wonder how or if he would have survived in today's world. Or, would he have changed his personality to adapt to the different environment? Would he have turned out differently had he been raised in the 1970's or 80's instead of a much more racist society in the 30's-40's? I wonder how I would have turned out had I been raised in the types of conditions Jim Brown was raised in.

But, like all of us, he has to own without excuses or justification his misdeeds.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Before everyone judges him, I have to wonder given the Era and violence in which he played along with the equipment, the helmets were a mere shell with thin padding and he took many hits to the head, back then players were woke up when dazed with smelling salts and went back in. CTE is what I am getting at, he was opiniated, a strong advocate for racial justice etc, but most the crimes he is accused of happened post football or after he had played a significant amount of time. Just a thought for those that want to trample his body.
We don't know how much was swept under the rug up into the 80's no internet,smart phones
and social media ect.
A lot of players should have CTE before and after him but you don't hear of them doing all this
stuff he did.
I don't buy it myself but I can see why you or others may.

RedAlice

Reaction score
As was the case with a lot of professional athletes from back then, Brown had a dark side to him, and it makes you wonder how or if he would have survived in today's world. Or, would he have changed his personality to adapt to the different environment? Would he have turned out differently had he been raised in the 1970's or 80's instead of a much more racist society in the 30's-40's? I wonder how I would have turned out had I been raised in the types of conditions Jim Brown was raised in.

But, like all of us, he has to own without excuses or justification his misdeeds.

Yes.

IMO is unfair to judge him by current.

He is a GREAT.

Anything else I have to say, and it’s a lot. Requires me going to a different forum on here.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Yes.

IMO is unfair to judge him by current.

He is a GREAT.

Anything else I have to say, and it’s a lot. Requires me going to a different forum on here.
Well, I'm not going quite that far. Yes, it's unfair to judge a person's behavior 4 or 5 decades ago by contemporary standards. But on the other hand, wrong is still wrong whether it be in the 1960's or 2020's. If Brown did what he was accused of doing, he was wrong then just as he'd be wrong now.

Latest posts