Reporter Tweets Harbaugh out of San Fran at season's end

Marvin49

Reaction score
Maulbert":2e05nijr said:

Just heard Dilfer on 95.7 The Game out here in the Bay Area literally just minutes ago. He's kinda annoyed. LOL.

He did say that (it was on the radio so duh) but he wanted to clarify that he has no sources telling him that. He didn't want to be associated with Deion's quote. He was just speaking in terms of his opinion.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Popeyejones":10k69kor said:

Is this the most complimentary quote about Harbaugh you could find from a player?

“Nah, man we’re a family and it’s all about the guys in that locker room,” Bethea said Monday on The Doug Gotlieb Show on CBS Sports Radio. “That’s all it’s about. Everybody in the locker room is trying to go out there and win. We’re a family."

I've played on a team that had an us-vs-him mentality with respect to the head coach. That can work for a while but eventually a mutual lack of respect fosters discontent that becomes unproductive.

rigelian

Reaction score
Marvin49":3s15ba4x said:
Maulbert":3s15ba4x said:

Just heard Dilfer on 95.7 The Game out here in the Bay Area literally just minutes ago. He's kinda annoyed. LOL.

He did say that (it was on the radio so duh) but he wanted to clarify that he has no sources telling him that. He didn't want to be associated with Deion's quote. He was just speaking in terms of his opinion.

I have one question. Has anyone come forth and say that reports that Harbaugh bans music and cards on the plane isn't true? That is one specific fact that would be easy to refute. If Harbaugh does ban music and cards on the team plane, I would not be surprised if vet players are getting annoyed.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Harbaugh learned under one of the most emotional, and frequently agro, coaches of all time. It only makes sense that some of that rubbed off on him. I don't care for the guy, but he was a tip away from sending his team to yet another SB and that loss came at the hands of what some will call an all-timer.

The guy obviously knows something about coaching. IF he has lost the LR, I'd encourage those that believe that to have a look at the personalities in that LR. I'm sure this SF team wouldn't have liked Lombardi either (or Ditka or Singletary). All these guys want a Pete for HC, now. What they don't understand is they don't deserve a Pete and would likely hate him too after having their thug-ass' sent packing.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
hawknation2014":wzoyekpt said:
Popeyejones":wzoyekpt said:

Is this the most complimentary quote about Harbaugh you could find from a player?

Nah, it's the most recent statement on the topic of the thread. You're acting like I haven't said that I think there's some truth to these rumors, and also wasn't the first person to note Sanders' comments in this thread too. C'mon, man.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1hnf6xj8 said:
hawknation2014":1hnf6xj8 said:
Popeyejones":1hnf6xj8 said:

Nah, it's the most recent statement on the topic of the thread. You're acting like I haven't said that I think there's some truth to these rumors, and also wasn't the first person to note Sanders' comments in this thread too. C'mon, man.

Then maybe your response should have been "yes" instead of "nah."

Harbuagh seems like an incredibly controlling personality so I could understand why grown men would be annoyed to have to deal with those kind of restrictions and ego on a daily basis. This is going to get worse before it gets better.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Deion responds to Harbaugh:

@DeionSanders
I never knew the Truth hurts that much. Sorry San Francisco 49ers fans but it is what it is. Ask yourself why would I lie! #Truth

Laloosh

Reaction score
Marvin49":2p8w2t2b said:
Maulbert":2p8w2t2b said:

I apologize in advance. I haven't listened to the audio from The Game.

Were his "toxic" comments about what the "ugly" (his words) play can do to a locker room or were they an effort to describe his observation of the locker room? Just seems like the "toxic" comment was almost taken out of context.

Deion seems pretty confident about what he had to say. He even made a comment to Irvin in that segment about how it was their job to give the viewers truth or some truth... something to that effect. I didn't get the impression that he was just making it up as he went. Could be the case but not the impression I came away with.

HawkWow

Reaction score
The same reporters that call Harbaugh "too controlling" will also report his players are "out of control". I think Harbaugh is an excellent coach but probably not in touch with the NFL players of today. That ain't all bad.

He shoulda' taken the Texas gig. I have no idea, money aside, why a coach would prefer the pros to college. In today's game, with the strength of the union, etc, an NFL coach is more resigned to suggesting than teaching. This doesn't pertain to Harbaugh, thankfully, but If I were a coach with a Lombardi, I would bolt for a college gig in a second. Pete aside, that is. Pete has players that are young enough, and smart enough, to actually want to learn while fully understanding the concept of team. An oddity in today's rich and coddled NFL.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Deion said to Irvin, who was surprised at the blunt honesty of the remarks, "did I stumble?" -- in other words, "yeah I said it."

Something isn't right. For Sanders, not one to make these kind of statements, to come out with this and basically put it at the forefront of all news today. It could easily be sources within the front office who want to set the table for Harbaugh's departure, prepare the fans for an inevitable parting of ways. It's not unheard of, and we know there's a disconnect between coach and GM.

What Sanders says doesn't even have to be 100% true. It's the fact he's saying it in such a public way that speaks volumes.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1iiv609r said:
Deion said to Irvin, who was surprised at the blunt honesty of the remarks, "did I stumble?" -- in other words, "yeah I said it."

Something isn't right. For Sanders, not one to make these kind of statements, to come out with this and basically put it at the forefront of all news today. It could easily be sources within the front office who want to set the table for Harbaugh's departure, prepare the fans for an inevitable parting of ways. It's not unheard of, and we know there's a disconnect between coach and GM.

What's Sanders says doesn't even have to be 100% true. It's the fact he's saying it in such a public way that speaks volumes.

Maybe a bargaining ploy by the Yorks to try to get Harbaugh to agree to an extension on their terms by creating the perception that his job is at risk? Sanders implied the comments were not coming solely from players.

Laloosh

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2j1o7szv said:

What Sanders says doesn't even have to be 100% true. It's the fact he's saying it in such a public way that speaks volumes.

"I didn't stutter or I didn't stumble."
and
"It's our responsibility to tell them [the viewers] what's real."

http://sports.yahoo.com/video/week-4-or ... 00485.html

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Deion isn't usually a rumor-monger...I'm giving more credence to his words on this than I would to plenty of other NFL media personalities, I'll say that much.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Laloosh":3kjhub99 said:
Marvin49":3kjhub99 said:
Maulbert":3kjhub99 said:

I apologize in advance. I haven't listened to the audio from The Game.

Were his "toxic" comments about what the "ugly" (his words) play can do to a locker room or were they an effort to describe his observation of the locker room? Just seems like the "toxic" comment was almost taken out of context.

Deion seems pretty confident about what he had to say. He even made a comment to Irvin in that segment about how it was their job to give the viewers truth or some truth... something to that effect. I didn't get the impression that he was just making it up as he went. Could be the case but not the impression I came away with.

Dilfer's comments were about losing, Deion's about Harbaugh.

Agreed about Deion not making it up. That said , LOL at him saying his source isn't crabtree.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
hawknation2014":1xxp10fp said:
theENGLISHseahawk":1xxp10fp said:

What's Sanders says doesn't even have to be 100% true. It's the fact he's saying it in such a public way that speaks volumes.

Maybe a bargaining ploy by the Yorks to try to get Harbaugh to agree to an extension on their terms by creating the perception that his job is at risk? Sanders implied the comments were not coming solely from players.

It would seem a strange tactic to tie down a successful head coach. Essentially get the media to suggest he's lost the locker room and diminish his reputation.

If they were in the process of trying to extend Harbaugh's contract I think it would've been done by now. I suspect, if this is coming from a 'suit and tie' guy like Sanders suggests, that this is San Fran positioning themselves for a can't lose situation. If Harbaugh wins a title then he gets a deserved contract and hey they've won a title. If he doesn't they can move on.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
It's painful watching the interview when he's being questioned about all this. I sort of feel sorry for him. I don't know why, but I feel compassion toward the guy all of the sudden. How many of you would want all this said about you publicly? If they want to fire him for whatever reasons behind the scenes, so be it. I don't like Jim Harbaugh as a pro coach, but agree he would be a pretty good college coach. Wonder what Sherman and Baldwin really think of him? Listening to Harbaugh in the interview, he is obviously hurt over all this. He tries to hide it, but it comes through. I guess I don't know what's really going on and if the guy is being a jerk to everyone or what.

Go Hawks... Team of the Century.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
During Harbie's first year, myself and a bunch of other Hawks fans predicted Harbaugh would self destruct. To be fair, I thought his acidic personality would wear thin, but as long as he won he would be safe. Like Brian Billick. The fact that this is happening when the Niners have been winners is mindboggling to me.

I don't doubt that there are players who don't like Harbaugh. He is pretty awful about giving play time to 2nd stringers, and if he has that college coach type mentality where players can't do grown up stuff like play cards on a plane, well nobody likes being treated like children.

Which is why there has been no player revolt. They aren't children. Probably most, excepting LMJ, can see the difference between a bit of archaic thinking and despotic assholery. Harbs may be the former, but he isn't the latter. Unless, of course, you have to interview his weird, grumpy, freaktastic khaki wearing ass as a credential carrying reporter.