Report: Carlos Dunlap to be released

chris98251

Reaction score
This is the first move is strategic clearing of cap space, I am sure they talked and he was a positive influence here. 3 year deal maybe as a rotational guy less cap hit in a low end cap year unless a foolish team throws money at him.

This is not going to be the first we see like this. Many teams will do it this season.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3ffpubg8 said:
The Jets get our 1st round pick next year.

The 2022 pick.

Doesnt make sense still. Cuz our draft positioning depends our wins and losses...not dunlap specifically.

FresnoHawk52

Reaction score
chris98251":1qpj069t said:
This is the first move is strategic clearing of cap space, I am sure they talked and he was a positive influence here. 3 year deal maybe as a rotational guy less cap hit in a low end cap year unless a foolish team throws money at him.

This is not going to be the first we see like this. Many teams will do it this season.

The market will determine Dunlap’s pay! Big time players were over paid in 2019 & 2020 because those contracts assumed cap would rise in 2021 & 2022.

Only 18 teams are under the cap so far this year and several teams have let good rookies like Saints DE Trey Hendrickson walk and cut a bunch of good veterans who will enter a market that will have at least 1/3 of the previous buyers sitting on the sidelines.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The media reports say: It seems likely the Seahawks will release Carlos Dunlap for cap reasons. The thread here is Carlos Dunlap is to be released. Seems the thread here is a tad overreactive to the possibility of release. I'd think both sides would want to work things out. Dunlap has said he liked playing here last season and liked his new team mates.

The situation is more likely to be one where the team and Dunlap will do a new deal with a lower cap hit than the $14.037 mil. of the present deal.

MrThortan

Reaction score
Carlos seemed to elevate the D significantly when he came in. Would be great to have him next year. His contract situation is interesting due to his trade etc. Sure John and Pete will try to figure it out.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
My prediction is that this situation will get worked out and is another in "the sky is falling, the sky is falling" reports.

All the Chicken Little's of the world seem to come out at this time of year.

FresnoHawk52

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3exozxqj said:
The media reports say: It seems likely the Seahawks will release Carlos Dunlap for cap reasons. The thread here is Carlos Dunlap is to be released. Seems the thread here is a tad overreactive to the possibility of release. I'd think both sides would want to work things out. Dunlap has said he liked playing here last season and liked his new team mates.

The situation is more likely to be one where the team and Dunlap will do a new deal with a lower cap hit than the $14.037 mil. of the present deal.

Tony Pauline says Saints DE Trey Hendrickson 14.5 sacks is on the market for 13 to 14 million! The market price for DE’s is going down with less than 2/3 of normal buyers in the market. Lots of teams tagged DE’s in 2020 and Baltimore has a couple that could hit the market.

chris98251

Reaction score
As I stated, there is going to be a lot of RB's, DE's, some QB's WR;s and DT's along with Offensive Tackles be put on the market. Or at least predicted, that flood is going to just shuffle cap space for many teams that are winners, guys that are in FA for the first time may entertain offers, but with the cap going down almost all are going to end up with less and hope for a long term resigning or deal.

The mid tier guys that have salary but not high end numbers are who you want to target anyway, guys overshadowed and or waiting behind a numbers guy that gets rotational play.

FresnoHawk52

Reaction score
chris98251":2qavjjv2 said:
As I stated, there is going to be a lot of RB's, DE's, some QB's WR;s and DT's along with Offensive Tackles be put on the market. Or at least predicted, that flood is going to just shuffle cap space for many teams that are winners, guys that are in FA for the first time may entertain offers, but with the cap going down almost all are going to end up with less and hope for a long term resigning or deal.

The mid tier guys that have salary but not high end numbers are who you want to target anyway, guys overshadowed and or waiting behind a numbers guy that gets rotational play.

Trent Williams & Leonard Williams please!

getnasty

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3l0nu4zu said:
Dunlap will be lucky to get 3 or 4 million? Thanks for the morning laugh. Classic

I think he'll be closer to 3 or 4 then 14 million. There's gonna be a ton of cap casualties like Dunlap leading to a flooded market with no money to spend. Almost feel bad for free agents this offseason gonna be a lot of 1 year deals.

sdog1981

Reaction score
getnasty":1x4d97q7 said:
SoulfishHawk":1x4d97q7 said:
Dunlap will be lucky to get 3 or 4 million? Thanks for the morning laugh. Classic

I think he'll be closer to 3 or 4 then 14 million. There's gonna be a ton of cap casualties like Dunlap leading to a flooded market with no money to spend. Almost feel bad for free agents this offseason gonna be a lot of 1 year deals.

I can see it both ways. A ton of movement with one-year deals or players staying in place with one-year deals.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
If Russ is traded, expect less players to be willing to play for less, or want to be signed/traded here. Less primetime games too. People are really underestimating the impact. You better have a star to replace him

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
Allows him to test the market before Free Agency begins. I'm sure the Seahawks have told him they want him back and to come back with whatever he is offered and the Hawks will see if they can match it or beat it and retain him on a multi year deal. I like the thinking.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Irvin coming off IR, along with Taylor. Adding Dunlap, Robinson, and Mayo, etc to that mix and we have choices to make. Robinson and Taylor are back on the cheap. Dunlap has what may be an advantage as a designated LEO. It's gonna be real interesting to see how this plays out.

Fudwamper

Reaction score
Appyhawk":jpm1f7hs said:
Irvin coming off IR, along with Taylor. Adding Dunlap, Robinson, and Mayo, etc to that mix and we have choices to make. Robinson and Taylor are back on the cheap. Dunlap has what may be an advantage as a designated LEO. It's gonna be real interesting to see how this plays out.

So we are getting rid of the only person that made our Defense not historically bad, to keep the guys that made the defense historically bad?

This D needs a big infusion of talent at both tackle and end.