Reasons why Russell Wilson is factually ELITE...

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
It's been a mere 3 years into his career and people are comparing him to 15 year vets or picking apart his play. This kid isn't some running athlete pretending to be a passer. He's been a passer all his college career with the talent of a pro athlete. He's played in pro style offenses for most of his college career setting passing records. He's done it to a lesser degree in the NFL but look at his start. The current mostest-elite qb Rodgers sat behind another super-duper elite qb Favre for as many years. The soon - to-be elitest-of- elites EVER Andrew Luck has struggled in the playoffs.

Wilson wasn't ushered into the league with the expectations of glory and affirmations that so-called elite guys like Luck, Manning, or Favre were. He has proven elite stats in passer efficiency, rushing and wins for any era.
He may never be crowned ELITE in by some folks because the idea of elite is subjective. What's not debatable is this kids talent (drafted by MLB and NFL), character, intelligence and resilience. He is indomitable on the field and will keep playing to the last second. He has been unshakable as proven by the many come from behind wins and near comeback wins in both NCAA and NFL.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Tical21":1cmfab1f said:
I have never once in my life seen an ELITE quarterback have all four receivers in the route open, have all day to throw, and be afraid to pull the trigger. Not once.

There are at least 20 QB's in the league right now that would have had a buttload of wins and a Super Bowl victory with our roster over the last three years.
Pull out the all 22 and see who makes the plays in those clutch time game winners or two point conversions.
There aren't 3 quarterbacks that could play in the slop in that NFC title game who could bring you back to win against Rodgers. There isn't another qb who could quietly net 900 rushing yards while producing such efficient passing stats.

OP
OP
H

hawksurething

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":3s65fry6 said:
It's been a mere 3 years into his career and people are comparing him to 15 year vets or picking apart his play. This kid isn't some running athlete pretending to be a passer. He's been a passer all his college career with the talent of a pro athlete. He's played in pro style offenses for most of his college career setting passing records. He's done it to a lesser degree in the NFL but look at his start. The current mostest-elite qb Rodgers sat behind another super-duper elite qb Favre for as many years. The soon - to-be elitest-of- elites EVER Andrew Luck has struggled in the playoffs.

Wilson wasn't ushered into the league with the expectations of glory and affirmations that so-called elite guys like Luck, Manning, or Favre were. He has proven elite stats in passer efficiency, rushing and wins for any era.
He may never be crowned ELITE in by some folks because the idea of elite is subjective. What's not debatable is this kids talent (drafted by MLB and NFL), character, intelligence and resilience. He is indomitable on the field and will keep playing to the last second. He has been unshakable as proven by the many come from behind wins and near comeback wins in both NCAA and NFL.

Wow you guys are getting freaking good at this !!!

Great post :)

scutterhawk

Reaction score
pmedic920":16es6dgs said:
Settle down y'all.
Too many cooks, ruin the stew.
Nah, they're talking about Russell Wilson, and you can't get too much of a good thing. :mrgreen:

blazen2392

Reaction score
While I do agree that Russell is elite, making a comparison to peyton manning is quite unfair. It is far more impressive to throw 26 touchdowns 17 years ago in Peytons rookie season than it is russells rookie year. TDs have undergone inflation because of the evolution of the game. 26 TDs peytons rookie year would equal somewhere around 30+ TDs

Jay-Dog

Reaction score
Wilson is ELITE. Factually.

seahawks_broncos.jpg

Q NMcZ2IvEFn og8AjsTT 5q0fvrTKsrayoYSbl8XCTDeiczF6

Anthony!

Reaction score
blazen2392":39creuvl said:
While I do agree that Russell is elite, making a comparison to peyton manning is quite unfair. It is far more impressive to throw 26 touchdowns 17 years ago in Peytons rookie season than it is russells rookie year. TDs have undergone inflation because of the evolution of the game. 26 TDs peytons rookie year would equal somewhere around 30+ TDs

I can understand what you are saying but think again about it, 17 years ago if it was so simple someone would have done it before Wilson. Add to that he had Harrison and Faulk both HOF players while Wilson only has Lynch.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Tical21":3lvartl4 said:
Find a coaches tape (all-22) of a Seahawks game this season. Any of them. Pick a game. Find another tape of any other "elite" qb.

Pause the tape when we get up to the line of scrimmage.

What defense is the other team running?

What plays should work against that defense?

Hit play.

Pause again after 3 seconds.

Has Bevell called a play that should work against this defense?

Look at Russell's head. Who is his primary target? Is this player open? If not, who is his secondary target? Is this player open?

Hit play again.

What decision does Russell make?

Do the same process with another "elite" QB.

You will find the answer to whether or not Russell Wilson is an elite QB.

It's a fact that no one outside of the head coach, play caller, QB and players on the field know the play. You can't tell who the primary was supposed to be by how the play breaks down. Every player misses wide open receivers. Peyton Manning missed at least 3 in Superbowl 48.

All 22 is fun to watch, but it doesn't give you all the facts. Russell is playing with UDFA WRs, musical chairs for an offensive line and fullback, heavy restrictions from his head coach on when to throw the ball, and a run-heavy offense that makes it hard for a QB to get a rhythm going.

There's plenty of facts one can argue for either side, but to quote Raheem Morris, "Stats are for losers! I'll take wins every time!"

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Anthony!":2yenrpn4 said:
blazen2392":2yenrpn4 said:

I can understand what you are saying but think again about it, 17 years ago if it was so simple someone would have done it before Wilson. Add to that he had Harrison and Faulk both HOF players while Wilson only has Lynch.

Yup if it was easy Andrew Luck should of beaten that record He had 14 more passing attempts per game than Wilson, and 3 more attempts per game than Peyton in his rookie year, yet he couldn't do it in a heavy passing league era.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Your only elite as to what your record shows and RW's is impressive.He doesn't throw the most TD's but wins a lot using his dual threat ability to create big plays.He's young but smart and will only get better.He's not elite in traditional sense so I understand when others disagree and I don't think he or anyone is worth 20 million a year but thats another argument for another time

blazen2392

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":k9wr5njp said:
Anthony!":k9wr5njp said:
blazen2392":k9wr5njp said:

Yup if it was easy Andrew Luck should of beaten that record He had 14 more passing attempts per game than Wilson, and 3 more attempts per game than Peyton in his rookie year, yet he couldn't do it in a heavy passing league era.

I Never said it was easy and i never said it was not impressive. What I'm saying is What peyton manning did as a passer 17 years ago is far more impressive than what Russell did as a passer his rookie year because of the way the game has evolved. Its the same way Dan marinos 48 TD season in the early 80s is more impressive than Tom bradys 50 in 2007.

Anthony!

Reaction score
blazen2392":3hddw43c said:
theincrediblesok":3hddw43c said:
Anthony!":3hddw43c said:
blazen2392":3hddw43c said:

I Never said it was easy and i never said it was not impressive. What I'm saying is What peyton manning did as a passer 17 years ago is far more impressive than what Russell did as a passer his rookie year because of the way the game has evolved. Its the same way Dan marinos 48 TD season in the early 80s is more impressive than Tom bradys 50 in 2007.

so in your mind a guy throwing 26 tds on 575 attempts is more impressive than a guy throwing 26 with only 393 attempts. Yeah ahh No its not

Ozzy

Reaction score
Are people really still arguing Wilson isn't elite? Probably best to ignore such a position.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
austinslater25":113tuvpi said:
Are people really still arguing Wilson isn't elite? Probably best to ignore such a position.

He's a very, very good QB, and the best QB of the younger QBs. He's still not elite though. Once Brees/Brady/Manning retire with Luck he'll very much be in that conversation of who is comparable to Aaron Rodgers.

Like Luck, Wilson still has developing to do (and the time do it), but it remains to be seen if that development happens or not. If it does, he'll be elite for sure. FWIW I've always thought he was the best of the young QBs, but so far he hasn't developed at the rate I was expecting him to. Right now he's firmly in the second tier behind the elite four QBs.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Calling someone "Elite" is very subjective. Wilson does have this going for him - each year he's been in the league he's taken his team to the playoffs with 2 NFC Championships and 2 SB appearances with 1 SB win. How many elite QBs can say that? He may not have the stats but wins under him prove he's among the elite. At the end of the day, it's the wins that count.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2xorwwca said:
austinslater25":2xorwwca said:

He's a very, very good QB, and the best QB of the younger QBs. He's still not elite though. Once Brees/Brady/Manning retire with Luck he'll very much be in that conversation of who is comparable to Aaron Rodgers.

Like Luck, Wilson still has developing to do (and the time do it), but it remains to be seen if that development happens or not. If it does, he'll be elite for sure. FWIW I've always thought he was the best of the young QBs, but so far he hasn't developed at the rate I was expecting him to. Right now he's firmly in the second tier behind the elite four QBs.

I do not see Luck as being better than Wilson by any means. Luck himself has things he needs to work on as well, but to be honest every player in the NFL does including Rodgers. I also do not see Wilson or Luck in that 2nd tier. I see them as more of a 1a to the top 4 QBs 1. And that is mainly do to length of service not skill.

Willyeye

Reaction score
My lord your posts are painful.

You said.. Wilson is a better passer than Peyton Manning was after 3 seasons. I don't give a crap about QBR .. because that's a deceiving statistic, case in point.. your entire argument here. Also love how Peyton apparently had an all-star cast when he started his career.. you know since they won 3 games his rookie year and 2 the year before. He totally walked into a winning situation. And maybe, just maybe, the "pro bowl tight ends" made the Pro Bowl because of Peyton Manning.

And furthermore.. it's not "hate" you dunce.. it's fact. Peyton Manning is one of the greatest quarterbacks in the history of the league. Russell Wilson is a very good player.. but as a passer, he is nowhere near Peyton Manning through 3 seasons. Yes.. Russ had that rookie record. That's neat.

Wilson -- 9950 yards, 72 TD
Manning first 3 years -- 12287, 110 TD

YEP WILSON SURE IS SCHOOLING PEYTON.

Oh and unlike Luck, Peyton put up these numbers with a rushing game. Edgerrin James actually had better seasons than Marshawn Lynch.

I agree on one point, this offense needs more weapons in the passing game.. and who knows, maybe if they are able to get that then Russ can start to really develop as a passer. But as of today, he doesn't have those things.. he rarely throws over the middle with a lot of consistency.. and he's not very good in the pocket. These are all facts.[/quote]

Evaluating QB's based only on passing yards and passing TD's is pretty silly. Not sure where you got 110 TD's for Peyton's first three years, but that's incorrect. If you look at the stats below in their totality, I would say that Wilson's numbers are better than Peyton's. The passing yards and passing TD's you listed are such a small sample size of all the numbers that are used to evaluate QB's, they really don't tell the story.

Here are some stats for some QB's for their first three years:
Total yards (passing and rushing)- Peyton..12538; Wilson...11827; Marino...11445; Brady...6766
Total yards including postseason- Peyton...12979; Wilson...13902; Marino...13125; Brady...7360
Total TD's (passing and rushing)- Peyton...88; Wilson...83; Marino...100; Brady...47
Total TD's including postseason- Peyton...90; Wilson...97; Marino...113; Brady...49
Passer rating- Peyton...86.4; Wilson...98.6; Marino...96.4; Brady...85.9
TD%- Peyton...5.1; Wilson...5.8; Marino...6.9; Brady...4.5
INT%- Peyton...3.4; Wilson...2.1; Marino...3.1; Brady...2.6
Yards per attempt- Peyton...7.32; Wilson...7.95; Marino...8.01; Brady...6.5
Completion %- Peyton...60.39; Wilson...63.42; Marino...61.04; Brady...62.73