Quick & electric WRs

nwHawk

Reaction score
Boy, do we need a dynamite WR who is jitterbug quick, ala Doug Baldwin. We have plenty of JAGs that are reasonably fast, but everyone else has CBs these days to match that size and speed. Let's face it, speed and quickness are two entirely different animals.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
locket is our guy but he's clearly significantly banged up. I predict that when Ursua does finally see the field, we will all be pissed that it took an entire season. No way he's not a better option than the likes of Jeron Brown.

Largent80

Reaction score
No Lockett is HEALTHY. How do you get "banged up" He is over his injury. There have been numerous press clips with him even saying that he is 100%.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
You do realize that both of our starting wide receivers run 4.4 and under, right? Tyler Lockett ran a 4.4 40 and DK Metcalf ran a 4.3 40. That would make this group one of the quickest wide receiver duos in the NFL. Not only that, for awhile DK Metcalf in particular was leading the NFL in yards per reception. Tyler Lockett was also electric at the beginning of the year.

The main issue here is the offensive line in my opinion. Lockett and DK got open quite a bit last game -- Russ just didn't see them. DK especially was open all day in the middle or the field. Collinsworth sounded frustrated that Wilson didn't see him. Was kind of interesting to hear his exasperation. Wilson was flat out not seeing open receivers last game.

What is this reason behind this? I suspect it is Hunt. Joey Hunt didn't flat out get beat, but he is unable to hold his ground even against more mediocre units. He is undersized and unable to hold his ground. This leads to the pocket being non-existent.

This is where Wilson's height comes into play. He struggles more than most QB's if the middle of his line can't form a proper pocket. He has to drastically alter his release and he struggles to see the middle of the field in this circumstance. This is why losing Britt really hurts.

I do wish that Schottenheimer would have attempted to get the pocket moving more, or attempted to get him outside the pocket. His passing scheme technically was getting players open, it's just he wasn't factoring in his offensive line deficiencies here. We really need Procic back if we want to fix the passing game with our current scheme.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3iyct0u7 said:
You do realize that both of our starting wide receivers run 4.4 and under, right? Tyler Lockett ran a 4.4 40 and DK Metcalf ran a 4.3 40. That would make this group one of the quickest wide receiver duos in the NFL. Not only that, for awhile DK Metcalf in particular was leading the NFL in yards per reception. Tyler Lockett was also electric at the beginning of the year.

The main issue here is the offensive line in my opinion. Lockett and DK got open quite a bit last game -- Russ just didn't see them. DK especially was open all day in the middle or the field. Collinsworth sounded frustrated that Wilson didn't see him. Was kind of interesting to hear his exasperation. Wilson was flat out not seeing open receivers last game.

What is this reason behind this? I suspect it is Hunt. Joey Hunt didn't flat out get beat, but he is unable to hold his ground even against more mediocre units. He is undersized and unable to hold his ground. This leads to the pocket being non-existent.

This is where Wilson's height comes into play. He struggles more than most QB's if the middle of his line can't form a proper pocket. He has to drastically alter his release and he struggles to see the middle of the field in this circumstance. This is why losing Britt really hurts. I do wish that Schottenheimer would have attempted to get the pocket moving more, or attempted to get him outside the pocket. His passing scheme technically was getting players open, it's just he wasn't factoring in his offensive line deficiencies here. We really need Procic back if we want to fix the passing game with our current scheme.
Good take Spin..
As for the WR's isn't Gordon and Brown fast also?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I get a feeling we are going to see a lot more of Gordon this Sunday. We certainly could have used him more on Monday night. No way he drops either of those conversions, let alone not turning his head around on a sure TD.
He catches everything his way and makes it look so easy. When they get a 3rd down, that guy is a damn good option.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1utkye6z said:
Spin Doctor":1utkye6z said:

This is where Wilson's height comes into play. He struggles more than most QB's if the middle of his line can't form a proper pocket. He has to drastically alter his release and he struggles to see the middle of the field in this circumstance. This is why losing Britt really hurts. I do wish that Schottenheimer would have attempted to get the pocket moving more, or attempted to get him outside the pocket. His passing scheme technically was getting players open, it's just he wasn't factoring in his offensive line deficiencies here. We really need Procic back if we want to fix the passing game with our current scheme.
Good take Spin..
As for the WR's isn't Gordon and Brown fast also?
Brown has a lot of physical tools, and Gordon used to be very fast. Gordon has lost a step though, I'm not sure what his speed is like these days. I'm confident that he can be at least a Joe Jurevicius style receiver for us though if we decide to keep him around. I hope we sign him this offseason.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I don't think the problem is with the team's WRs speed, to me it's their hands, all but Lockett need to spent more time with the Jugs machine. Last game they all seemed off their game and perhaps undertake weather with flu or colds, so was RW.

At this stage I don't think we have any clear appreciation of the player that Gordon can be in our system. I'm hoping he is now up to speed in the playbook and can be used for more than slants, but even there he is tough to defend. We all will soon find out what he can bring to the O. To me except for depth I'm underwhelmed with Moore, and Brown, neither is a genuine long term keeper. Turner has flashed potential but needs to catch balls thrown to his hands, he could become more than just depth to me, he has shown more tan Moore and Brown. It's clear Ursua is a 'redshirt' member of the 53 who will get his shot next season, I don't expect anything from him this season. I believe that Metcalf has genuine Pro Bowl level potential if he can keep catching the ball and avoiding turnovers, he's doing well for a rookie WR regardless, and he's f-a-s-t.

Of the 7 only 3 seem to be legit starters so far.

chris98251

Reaction score
Gordon has been clocked as fast as 4.3, don't think he has lost all that much.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The team could be sandbagging with Gordon only to let him loose against the Digits and in the playoffs.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
"speed and quickness are two entirely different animals."
You're very right about that nwHawk. Who do you have in mind that is deficient? Or an answer to the deficiency? I know KC has a couple guys who are both quick and fast, and they visit the endzone on a regualr basis.
"losing Britt really hurts"
Yep spin, that is, to me, potentially a/the key to our current O Line struggles.
"Of the 7 only 3 seem to be legit starters so far."
I don't usually put as much emphasis on "starters"as some do, jammer. But the way we have had a tendency to start so slow this year I've been rethinking that stance. I think the Lockette/DJ/Gordon tandem has the wherewithal to change that IF our O Line can get their act together. I'm tired of having to see our guys play uphill the entire frikken game.
I really believe we have all the tools we need for success. We just have to get it figured out how to use them to greatest effect.

getnasty

Reaction score
I hope we get a "jitterbug" at least for return dutys. Lockett is to valuable to have back there and Moore and Homer are underwhelming. Maybe Imadi or Ursua is the guy but i see Ursua more crafty like Baldwin then jitterbug like Tyreke Hill.

chris98251

Reaction score
Appyhawk":1sel03v2 said:
"speed and quickness are two entirely different animals."
You're very right about that nwHawk. Who do you have in mind that is deficient? Or an answer to the deficiency? I know KC has a couple guys who are both quick and fast, and they visit the endzone on a regualr basis.
"losing Britt really hurts"
Yep spin, that is, to me, potentially a/the key to our current O Line struggles.
"Of the 7 only 3 seem to be legit starters so far."
I don't usually put as much emphasis on "starters"as some do, jammer. But the way we have had a tendency to start so slow this year I've been rethinking that stance. I think the Lockette/DJ/Gordon tandem has the wherewithal to change that IF our O Line can get their act together. I'm tired of having to see our guys play uphill the entire frikken game.
I really believe we have all the tools we need for success. We just have to get it figured out how to use them to greatest effect.

It's not how to use them, it's allowed to use them.

chris98251

Reaction score
Appyhawk":1v14gnp3 said:
chris, by "allowed" are you thinking they're holding Gordon back to keep a lower number in play for getting him resigned for next year?

IIRC Ursua is quick, but not so fast. I'm not sure if he's on our 53, or on PS.

No not that, we only open up the offense a piece at a time, Pete seems to hold stuff back thinking it will be a surprise or something teams have not seen yet when it comes to either playoff games and or a crucial game that we need.

RW92

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3c362zmm said:

This is where Wilson's height comes into play. He struggles more than most QB's if the middle of his line can't form a proper pocket. He has to drastically alter his release and he struggles to see the middle of the field in this circumstance. This is why losing Britt really hurts.

I do wish that Schottenheimer would have attempted to get the pocket moving more, or attempted to get him outside the pocket. His passing scheme technically was getting players open, it's just he wasn't factoring in his offensive line deficiencies here. We really need Procic back if we want to fix the passing game with our current scheme.

DK can run, but Tyler Locket would be hard pressed to run a 4.4 at this time. He has lost several steps. I'm not saying he's slow, but not even close to the likes of T. Hill or Hardmon, not even close.

Latest posts