Question re: players going to other teams

StenoHawk

Reaction score
Don't know if I'm being real nieve, but when a player (ie: Chris Harper) signs with another team, does the new coach grill him about what we're doing, playbook, etc?

I would hope not, but why wouldn't they?

sutz

Reaction score
Yes, they probably do. But with Harper being like the 7th or 8th WR on our depth chart when released, I don't think he'll be able to tell them much more than they would get from normal game tape.

:229031_shrug:

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Only things Harper would know are some hot calls, line calls he may picked up, and some audibles he could pass on. Probably only a small factor. I would expect the Hawks to try a couple early and see how the D reacts, then they will know.

HawksFTW

Reaction score
It is a much bigger factor when a QB like Tolzien goes to GB. Tolzien most likely knew the playbook well, knew all the reads, signals, etc. But, for the most part teams in the same division know the large majority of what the other teams like to run. All of the other stuff changes game to game, and even drive to drive. Sometimes knowing that the other team has that information can be a boon, like Scott implied, it will work itself into the gameplan one way or the other.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Ex-football players (Brock, Wyman) tend to discount the benefits of that kind of thing.

Wyman said he might be able to tell you what the LBers were doing, but couldn't tell you what the other positions were doing.

TriCHawk

Reaction score
I've always wondered if NFL players have to sign a non-disclosure agreement when they sign with a team. And if they do, if it ever gets enforced.