QB 2024 draft

Seahawkwalt1967

Reaction score
Assuming we pick after 18 in the first round, who do you think would be available that could come in and start? Penix, Nix, Leonard, McCarthy, Ewers, Howard?

QWERTY

Reaction score
Let's Look at teams that needs QB.

Giants
Bears
Zona
Falcons
Packers
Titans
Cowboys ( They will draft their replacement for Zak)
Jets ( Possibility)
Vikings

So bad chances.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
10 QBs available, maybe 15. 4-6 starters likely from the mix. Likely 2-3 stars.

Our chances of getting a good QB in the draft is actually fairly high. Even considering the list of teams earlier.

If there is a draft to throw your hat in the ring, this is one of them.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
Haven’t delved into this class much but from casual watching Nix, Ewers, and Leonard are not high quality NFL starters in my eyes. At least starters that would come in, beat out Geno, and command the locker room.

Nix reminds me a lot of Davis Mills. Both QBs required really simple reads to be successful and really struggled if they couldn’t get really clear looks. Sam Howell is similar.

Ewers should stay in school. I don’t see consistent accuracy, high level processing, or calmness within the pocket.

Leonard has similar traits to Daniel Jones. Good tough athlete that just doesn’t have the accuracy or understanding of leverage to be a high level passer.

The wild cards for me are probably JJ McCarthy or Penix. But Seattle passed on Chubb because of knee damage so I wonder if they’d take Penix? There’s also Penix’s mechanics, offense, and age to consider. The intangibles, toughness in the pocket, and arm talent are enticing though. McCarthy I haven’t watched enough, and the level of comp is tough, but there are flashes of NFL starter in there and I wonder if it could be nurtured under Geno for a year.

Beyond that, you’re looking at Day 3 guys. And I like Jalon Daniels but he’s missed a lot of games in college. Austin Reed is another interesting name but unlikely to come out and start.

Again, I haven’t watched any of these QBs specifically outside of Maye and Caleb, but it feels like there are only 2 out of the box starters in this class and they will go 1 and 2. I’d love to be wrong, and will reassess in January, but while it’s a deep class, I don’t think that depth hints at future elites beyond Maye or Caleb.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
You know what’s crazy is, you can say Penix, has already played in a high pressure game and proved himself.

Against, Texas, he beat them. And against Oregon, twice, he’s defeated them.

Granted, it’s still college, but what big games, NFL or college, has Geno, came up clutch?

Being clutch is critical for determining if you have a franchise QB or not.

You can’t teach clutch and you don’t have a franchise QB if they aren’t clutch.

If Penix wins the Heisman, he’s going top 5, next year and Seattle will not be able to draft Penix.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
You know what’s crazy is, you can say Penix, has already played in a high pressure game and proved himself.

Granted, it’s still college, but what big games, NFL or college, has Geno, came up clutch?

If Penix wins the Heisman, he’s going top 5, next year and Seattle will not be able to draft Penix.
Totally agree with “being clutch” being critical for a franchise QB. The best QB in Hawks history made his bones being clutch. His heroics took this team to consistent contention and HOF aspirations despite his liabilities.

And then… he rode the clutch and burnt it up.

QWERTY

Reaction score
Haven’t delved into this class much but from casual watching Nix, Ewers, and Leonard are not high quality NFL starters in my eyes. At least starters that would come in, beat out Geno, and command the locker room.

Nix reminds me a lot of Davis Mills. Both QBs required really simple reads to be successful and really struggled if they couldn’t get really clear looks. Sam Howell is similar.

Ewers should stay in school. I don’t see consistent accuracy, high level processing, or calmness within the pocket.

Leonard has similar traits to Daniel Jones. Good tough athlete that just doesn’t have the accuracy or understanding of leverage to be a high level passer.

The wild cards for me are probably JJ McCarthy or Penix. But Seattle passed on Chubb because of knee damage so I wonder if they’d take Penix? There’s also Penix’s mechanics, offense, and age to consider. The intangibles, toughness in the pocket, and arm talent are enticing though. McCarthy I haven’t watched enough, and the level of comp is tough, but there are flashes of NFL starter in there and I wonder if it could be nurtured under Geno for a year.

Beyond that, you’re looking at Day 3 guys. And I like Jalon Daniels but he’s missed a lot of games in college. Austin Reed is another interesting name but unlikely to come out and start.

Again, I haven’t watched any of these QBs specifically outside of Maye and Caleb, but it feels like there are only 2 out of the box starters in this class and they will go 1 and 2. I’d love to be wrong, and will reassess in January, but while it’s a deep class, I don’t think that depth hints at future elites beyond Maye or Caleb.

JJ McCarthy? Dude is trash.

I hope Seattle doesn't draft Penix. Lefties .............. Idk I think its a waste.

CPHawk

Reaction score
At least we weren’t able to draft Richardson like JS and Pete wanted to do. Guy is already been beat up every week. We need a qb who is good and stays healthy.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Penix has some weird mechanics. But many lefties do. Damn he has an arm though.

More importantly, he doesn't tighten up in big moments. He delivers.

Look at last year in Oregon.
Then look at this year. There is actually a clip of him freestyling to a teammate (JMac?) on the bench with his team down, at 3:39 min to play and Oregon with the ball. Then he gets the ball and, in a few throws, takes UW into the EZ to take the lead back. That kind of confidence and poise is near impossible to teach.
And the #1 indicator of success for an NFL QB (in drafting eval) is comebacks in the 4th against closely ranked or higher ranked teams.

Worth a late 1st or 2nd, because he going to land somewhere between a Lefty Warren Moon and a much better Byron Leftwich (worth a 2nd just for the floor. I was hoping we could scoop him up in the 3rd to 5th, with so many QBs going it felt he would slip to us. But probably not now.)

I must be missing on Maye. Every time I watch him, I come away unimpressed. He IS winning at UNC, which is impressive. But watching the game just doesn't do it for me. Its like when I was watching that kid from Kentucky last year everyone was raving about. Lots of accolades, plenty of wins, but somehow the film made him look flawed or pedestrian.

Last edited:

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Obviously I'm a big Washington fan but to my eyes Penix clearly has better footwork, throwing mechanics, and ability to dissect defenses than any other top QB in the country.

Rosco

Reaction score

Penix can be had in the 2nd round. He’s had too many injuries.
Penix, who has since transferred to play for Washington, never appeared in more than six games in a given season in Bloomington: He suffered a torn ACL in his right knee his freshman season; a sternoclavicular (SC) joint injury as a sophomore in 2019; another ACL injury to the same knee in 2020; and an AC joint injury ...
He’s going to fall quite a bit. Would not be surprised if he fell out of the 2nd round.

Rosco

Reaction score
Let's Look at teams that needs QB.

Giants
Bears
Zona
Falcons
Packers
Titans
Cowboys ( They will draft their replacement for Zak)
Jets ( Possibility)
Vikings

So bad chances.
Broncos as well.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Penix can be had in the 2nd round. He’s had too many injuries.
He’s going to fall quite a bit. Would not be surprised if he fell out of the 2nd round.
ACL’s are so common now, I wouldn’t worry about a player with a past ACL issue…

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Obviously I'm a big Washington fan but to my eyes Penix clearly has better footwork, throwing mechanics, and ability to dissect defenses than any other top QB in the country.
You are a Homer, Penix doesn’t have the best mechanics and footwork of any other college QB. IMO he does well in a complicated pass offense and is fortunate to play with good WRs

i do expect most NFL scouts won’t have a 1st rd grade on him

fenderbender123

Reaction score
You are a Homer, Penix doesn’t have the best mechanics and footwork of any other college QB. IMO he does well in a complicated pass offense and is fortunate to play with good WRs

i do expect most NFL scouts won’t have a 1st rd grade on him

I haven't watched all the QBs, either, so yeah my opinion is worthless.

I have, however, watches Bo Nix and Caleb Williams. Penix is definitely much better than them in terms of what is needed for an NFL offense.

Rosco

Reaction score
ACL’s are so common now, I wouldn’t worry about a player with a past ACL issue…
Easy for you to say, NFL teams don’t like paying players to rehab, especially ones that are high draft picks.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Easy for you to say, NFL teams don’t like paying players to rehab, especially ones that are high draft picks.
Are you referring to players with current ACL injuries? Or players that had an ACL surgery and have already recovered?

Two different things.

If a player had an ACL reconstruction a few years ago, why, and they were under the age of 21, and have fully recovered, why would an NFL team pay for current rehab??