Poll: Talent level now compared to end of season.

Do we have more or less talent signed today than we did at seasons end?

• More talent signed today

Votes: 37 61.7%
  • More talent at season’s end

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • The same amount

Votes: 14 23.3%

• Total voters

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I have been concerned that our overall talent level has decreased year to year due to not signing our better free agents and poor drafts especially with our first picks and some poor signings. (Ziggy ugh and our new Old TE). This is counterbalanced by some very good trades.

So where are we today?

And yes we can still sign people though most of the good ones are already signed. (It’s puzzling not to clear cap space until AFTER the desirable FAs are gone. Ugh!)

chris98251

Reaction score
We had talent at seasons end it was just on IR.

We added speed and youth, the question once again will be health, so this poll doesn't account for that aspect.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Lost/Not resigned:

Clowney
Britt
Gordon
Ansah
Kendricks
Dickson
Fant
Ifedi
Fluker
Woods
Jefferson
Jaron Brown
Akeem King
Procise
Tedric Thompson

Added:

Dunbar
Finney
Olsen
Irvin
Dorsett
Mayowa
Ogbuehi
Shell
Warmack

Brooks
Taylor
Lewis

Players in age decline:

Duane Brown
Bobby Wagner
KJ Wright
Iupati

Players expected to make improvements:

Metcalf
Rasheem Green
Dunbar
Blair
Haynes
Amadi
Ford

I figured red = significant downgrade or no talent added. Green = upgrade. Didn't duplicate the better replacements added where they were indicated in the losses.

Honestly, it looks like we treaded water. Losing Clowney by itself makes it a lower talent level than what we ended with. However, to me, the key is Rasheem Green. It really appeared like he was really starting to get it and was flashing game impact ability. If he can make a similar improvement in his third season -- it'll go a long way to nullify the loss of Clowney.

We have good up and coming talent pushing through. Adding Dunbar was a massive coup. We have no way to assess the rookies relative to what we had on the field last year.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I agree with Chris on this one, we have massively upgraded if you factor in injuries and how depleted our team was at the end of last season.

It's not a coincidence that we beat the 49ers at their place in the game where they had a similar level of injuries to us, or that they ended up in the Super Bowl after getting everybody back healthy. The 49ers had the third fewest amount of injuries (31) in the NFL last year and that matters enormously.

toffee

Reaction score
Anyone feeling confident with Branden Shell as our new RT?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2_0_6

Reaction score
I like the team speed they have added. That seemed to lack in many areas last season.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Count me among those who believe we have improved our overall talent level since the end of last year, and I believe we did that during FA period alone, without the hopes for our draftees, and without inclusion of Clowney, who I very much want to see remain a Seahawk.
I have high hopes for our top 3 draft picks, and others of our rookie class, but those guys all have to prove themselves in a Seahawk uni before they count toward our talent level.

toffee

Reaction score
IMHO, we improved in some area not so much in other.

WR, Probably slightly better,
TE, better
RB, may be a step backwards?
OL, at best the same?

DL, probably not quite as good, or just as bad
LB, better
DB, better

It seems like we may still need to improve our lines, quite sure John is still working on the DL, not sure if he is willing invest more on OL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
toffee":eloa4yxv said:
Anyone feeling confident with Branden Shell as our new RT?

No even though it would be hard to be any worse than Ifedi.

Gio

Reaction score
LB and DLine is an improvement imo !!! fresh blood and irvin came back. We sign Eve or Clowney ? that's even better.
CB is a totally improvement and like Chris said last year it wasnt about less talent , but more like an injury issue..

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Hmm... Hard to say at this point in time. I'd say off of the top of my head we're weaker at these positions:

Offense -

Runningback: Penny is going to start the season on PUP and he's not likely to have the same burst second gear when he initially comes back. Good chance he's out half of the season or longer. Carson is coming off of a broken hip, and has suffered an injury each year he has been starter in the league. Our runningbacks behind Carson and Penny are both more third down a change of pace type of backs. Homer and Dallas are not guys that you want to rely on to carry the running game of an offense predicated upon the run game. I think Carroll really took a gamble by putting this position off.

Offensive Line: If we do indeed get rid of Britt I think we're going to take a massive step back here. We're potentially losing our best offensive lineman and we have one of the oldest LT's in the league and one of our starting guards is ancient and has been injury prone for a long time. Our RT is a career journeyman with largely the same career arch as Ifedi. All of the guys we picked up grade more as runblockers than pass blockers, meaning our QB is going to be killed. I think due to age alone we have the potential for a massive problem on the offensive line.

Defense -

DT: We lost some of our major contributors and we didn't do much to replace them. This position is lacking an inside force.

DE: Rarely do rookies have much of an impact at the pass rushing position, and the DE we got in the draft is particularly raw. I'm not very confident in Green or Collier. Bruce Irvin is now our main pass rusher and he has primarily played as outside linebacker in the NFL. He's also not a guy that thrives when he is the main pass rushing threat. He's a guy you want as a complimentary player, but not your main star. I think Irvin is a downgrade from Clowney, and yes while Clowney didn't get many sacks he was a top tier run defender and was among the top in the league in pressures. If we can't get Griffin or Clowney our pass rush is once again going to suffer.

Places that stayed the same( with the potential for being better ):

Offense -

QB: Same guy

TE: We have more depth here, but Dissley's going to potentially have to sit out games. Greg Olsen has still been productive but he's ancient and injury prone. There is always the possibility of us being in the same exact situation either due to Olsen's decline, or he gets injured and we have to rely on Hollister. Basically why I'm not marking them off as better is major health concerns.

SS: Not much has changed here.

Defense:

LB: I don't think we've improved here. I don't think our rookie is going to be better than Kendricks or KJ Wright from the get go. I've watched tape on Brooks and he gives me the impression that he is very raw. Of course our linebacker unit is filled with potential but I can't say that it is definitively better this year. I'm not grouping Irvin in with this bunch, I grouped him more with the D-Line.

Positions that are going to improve:

Wide Receiver: Just by the way DK Metcalf ended the year alone is proof that our unit is going to be better. His skillset evolved very quickly and he became more refined the later it got in the season. Lockett is of course Lockett. Moore has the potential to improve his game as well, and we've added young talent in Swain to the roster. I do actually think that Phillip Dorsett is actually a downgrade for Jaron Brown believe it or not. Watched some footage of him on the Patriots and he was absolutely a liability. Had trouble running the right routes, and was a piss poor route runner. Doesn't really high point the ball. His only virtue is he is fast in a straight line.

CB: We added another CB in Dunbar. I think he's slotted for nickle? He plays a much different game than Flowers or Griffin. He does his best work when playing off coverage, not too great at pressing. Overall a solid addition to the Seahawks, I'm guessing we're going to play him at nickle, though I think he would possibly be better than Flowers. He did actually grade as being better than Flowers last year. Redskin fans were mad that we traded for him.

FS: The addition of Diggs paid dividends from day one. Lions fans were mad for a reason. He was always around the ball, and he was fantastic in coverage. If there was a blown coverage it was never his fault.

Own The West

Reaction score
I think we're the same but younger/less expensive at every position except D-line and LB.

At LB I think we're better. Barton, Brooks, and Wagner will be our starters by week 8. We will be much faster and more physical as a result.

Our D-Line has a ton of depth at DE now, which will keep our pass rush from falling off as the season goes on. The biggest question for me is not Clowney though, but our interior. Reed and Ford are good, but I don't see much behind them. Our LBs need to stay clean and we can't get edge sacks if the QBs have up field escape routes.

So on the whole, we're better talent wise; but with a donut defense line it might not matter.

Latest posts