Playoff Chances

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3fhzsm9l said:
sdog1981":3fhzsm9l said:
The worst case scenario for this team heading into the next decade would be going 10-6 and making it into the playoffs. Sometimes to prevent a forest fire you have to do start a fire, for this team they need to not make it into the playoffs so they realize that business, as usual, is a failing business model in 2017's NFL.

You sound like Jed York and 49ers fans circa 2014 when Harbaugh went 8-8.

Best post ive seen on this board in a looooonnnnggggg time. SF is the perfect view into our future if the vocal minority get their way and Pete leaves/fired.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
As OP said, 10-6 could get it done. The Falcons have to face the Saints twice, a good Panthers team, and the Vikes. They could easily lose 2, if not 3 of those

On the other hand, if Atlanta wins out, the Saints or Panthers are in trouble for a playoff spot

If the Rams lose to us and the Eagles, they're in a bit of trouble. Bonus if Jimmy G turns out to be a stud and upsets the Rams

Panthers can drop to the Vikings, Saints, and Falcons. I also don't put it past the Panthers to lose to the Bucs

Vikings will finish 12-4 at worst, if they lose to the Falcons and Panthers. So they're guaranteed a spot.

So basically, as far as I see it our chances are solid. I'm rooting for the Vikings this weekend. Teams get help into the playoffs all the time and still win, big whoop. This is the NFL, just enjoy the ride

mikeak

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3s99aj01 said:
We pretty much have to win out to make the playoffs. The Rams aren't losing another game (except for us).

I have them losing this weekend to the Cardinals. Division games are inherently different - just watch.

I BELIEVE

HawkerD

Reaction score
sdog1981":1hr2d07j said:
The worst case scenario for this team heading into the next decade would be going 10-6 and making it into the playoffs. Sometimes to prevent a forest fire you have to do start a fire, for this team they need to not make it into the playoffs so they realize that business, as usual, is a failing business model in 2017's NFL.

I have to agree with this. The team with the current personnel is on the decline. We can continue to slid for another year and hope to make the playoffs next year as well. Our SB window is probably shut until our 2016/2017 draft classes come into form and we make some needed coaching changes. Unless we can resurrect our 2013 defense our oline has to get a lot better and that won't happen without changes at the top (oLine Coach/oLine scouting, etc).

With Russ we will never be too down but we need to retool the way not making the playoff would allow.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HawkerD":875ctx4j said:
sdog1981":875ctx4j said:

I have to agree with this. The team with the current personnel is on the decline. We can continue to slid for another year and hope to make the playoffs next year as well. Our SB window is probably shut until our 2016/2017 draft classes come into form and we make some needed coaching changes. Unless we can resurrect our 2013 defense our oline has to get a lot better and that won't happen without changes at the top (oLine Coach/oLine scouting, etc).

With Russ we will never be too down but we need to retool the way not making the playoff would allow.

This is a defeatist attitude.

I get what you're saying, but IMO you don't have to go 5-11 to make changes............and some of it's already happened.

Look how much cap and attention was paid to the O-line this year, an area of need for years. Britt extended, Joeckel signed, drafting of Pocic and now Brown.

A good owner, FO and head coach shouldn't have to go 7-9 and miss the playoffs to know what needs to be addressed each off season. I've criticized Pete for being too loyal to some of his coaches and even players, so I don't think missing the playoffs would change that unfortunately.

chris98251

Reaction score
Maybe we should sit Wilson and see what we have in Davis as Back up now as well as Boykin the rest of the season. Have to see what we have in case Wilson ever gets injured, The Giants are doing it and Mara says they are not tanking :)

sdog1981

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2mhodbd9 said:
The Giants won the Super Bowl with a 9-7 team. Just get to the dance and anything can happen.

Those are well coached Tom Coughlin teams. They did all the little things right, no penalties, blocking, tackling they could play perfect football and pull off upsets in machine-like efficacy. The Seahawks they are like a storm brewing in the ocean when they make landfall you have no clue if they will be a category 5 storm or a tropical depression.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
sdog1981":2ktq80lu said:
SoulfishHawk":2ktq80lu said:
The Giants won the Super Bowl with a 9-7 team. Just get to the dance and anything can happen.

Those are well coached Tom Coughlin teams. They did all the little things right, no penalties, blocking, tackling they could play perfect football and pull off upsets in machine-like efficacy. The Seahawks they are like a storm brewing in the ocean when they make landfall you have no clue if they will be a category 5 storm or a tropical depression.

The Giants also had a suffocating nasty defense and a punishing run game...............and defense and a run game travels.

So did we, three years ago. Not the same coaching OR personnel makeup as that Giants team.

But I know, every fan base everywhere brings up the Giants when talking about "just need to get into the playoffs and anything can happen!"

That Giant team is the exception. The rule is what we already know, if we don't get the #1 seed and HFA, we don't go to the SB. Three times that's happened, and three times we've gone to the SB. Every other playoff year? Nope.

sutz

Reaction score
chris98251":rsbwd6ro said:
Maybe we should sit Wilson and see what we have in Davis as Back up now as well as Boykin the rest of the season. Have to see what we have in case Wilson ever gets injured, The Giants are doing it and Mara says they are not tanking :)
I was thinking maybe just go kneel/kneel/kneel/punt all game.

:twisted:

mikeak

Reaction score
sdog1981":22thmue6 said:
SoulfishHawk":22thmue6 said:

hmm if they can be a category 5 storm then why wouldn't you want them in the playoffs?.......

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No need to even play the rest of the season. Clearly they have no shot, and even if they make it, they'll get smoked.
Better?

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
sdog1981":158adp1y said:
SoulfishHawk":158adp1y said:

We'll have an indication of their power by Sunday night.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2it0x7id said:
That Giant team is the exception. The rule is what we already know, if we don't get the #1 seed and HFA, we don't go to the SB. Three times that's happened, and three times we've gone to the SB. Every other playoff year? Nope.

You're better than that, Sgt.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":16mvv5wk said:
Sgt. Largent":16mvv5wk said:

You're better than that, Sgt.

I re-read what I wrote and see that it came off all doom and gloom. So you're right I am better than this.

Get in the playoffs and everyone has a chance, obviously. My point is before this season started with this roster my expectations that we'd be fighting for that #1 seed, so I'm bummed that we're making this so hard on ourselves for yet another year.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
HawkerD":2dapfpv4 said:
sdog1981":2dapfpv4 said:

I already see changes and we have reloaded the DL and Defensive backfield..
The OL has seen a lot of change and looks to get better..
We all know the RB and position coaches need to be reloaded and I think it will happen.
No it's not a total rebuild but as I recall Semihoo/Chris said that wasn't needed and I agree.

Chapow

Reaction score
sdog1981":3t007v81 said:
SoulfishHawk":3t007v81 said:

If they were so well coached, did all the little things right, and could play perfect football, why did they go 9-7?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Exactly. And I guess the Hawks have had all this success w/out the help of any good coaching. Got it........