Pistol Read Option Play Action vs. Tampa-Two

RylandTheHawk

Reaction score
The 2012 Seattle Seahawks developed a scheme that lead to a dominant 150 to 30 point advantage over their opponents over a three game stretch. This sort of statistical dominance has not been seen since the 1940 Chicago Bears modified the “T formation” and put the quarterback under center (as opposed to working out of a formation called the single wing) and motioning the running back as a receiver.

The 1960 49ers modified the Shotgun playbook to gain short-lived advantages in the NFL. In the Shotgun, the quarterback lines up 5 to 7 yards behind the line of scrimmage. The advantages are better visibility and better pocket protection agains the blitz, but the disadvantage is that it can limit the power running game and tip the defense that a pass is more likely to come. The Shotgun was countered with the Tampa-Two defense.

The Redskins, 49ers, and the Seahawks have best utilized the pistol with a fast dual-threat quarterback. With unique dual-threat quarterbacks like RG3 and Russell Wilson, perhaps the Tampa-Two has met it’s match with the Pistol Zone Read Play Action. When a Tampa-Two defense cheats one of their safeties to “stack the box” to stop the Read Option, an accurate quarterback with good arm strength can make the defense pay by going after the deep pass with the Play Action. A special quarterback like Russell Wilson and RG3 with arm-strength and pin-point accuracy for the deep ball and with the speed and elusive as a running threat can make life very difficult for a defense. The Pistol Read Option Play Action is more lethal than the I-Formation Play Action pass. The rare quarterback who excels as a dual-threat becomes very dangerous and dominant. Russell Wilson and RG3 are special players with power running backs in Marshawn Lynch and Alred Morris that will put defenses on their heels for a long time to come. As more offenses run the Pistol Zone Read, the NFL defenses will be more prepared to stop it. For the time being, the Pistol Red Option Play Action has advantages over the Tampa-Two.

Link: Pistol Read Option Play Action vs. Tampa-Two

Twisted

Reaction score
RylandTheHawk":r9vx6kjl said:
perhaps the Tampa-Two has met it’s match with the Pistol Zone Read Play Action

lets not forget the occasional read, play action, pistol, SPREAD

have to say the more tools you have in the toolbox the better a mechanic you are therefore you can FIX more things ;)

Hawks like to fix wagons, out back in the ol' woodshed... ;)

but I like it, you have to be omni dimensional to dominate in todays sports.. :th2thumbs:

SharkHawk

Reaction score
My dad used to run the single wing. Then he taught us the "Wing T". I learned so many formations as a kid that it was dizzying. That is one reason I loved the CFL. They were always trying something new. I remember watching Warren Moon playing for the Eskimos running the Run and shoot, and it having come and gone there before it ever even hit the NFL in about 1985 with Mouse Davis and Jack Pardee. So many offenses.....

I was lucky to grow up with a Dad who was kind of a local legend in coaching circles. I am always looking at what people are doing and how to stop it. Basketball was where he made his name, having coached quite a few guys into the NBA and coaching in the Seattle Summer Leagues.

I wish I had somebody to pass this info on to. My son would rather build lego cities and have fake lightsaber fights though. Hopefully someday he'll take an interest, because I have mountains of knowledge on different formations for every sport. I used to use a funky shift in baseball and it used to wreack havoc on other teams. They would get all mixed up in the head trying to hit it to the "open spot" and instead would end up hitting it directly at a fielder. I took a D level softball team and just using shifts took them up to high C level and qualifying for nationals in less than 6 months. Those were the days. I need to coach again. Maybe it's time to return to teaching..... maybe it's time.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Why do all your banner links lead right back to the main page?

Also..."theseahawks.net"?

SharkHawk

Reaction score
RylandTheHawk":1fnxt8bx said:
Your dad sounds like an amazing man.

He was indeed. A blood clot got him for no good reason in August of 2008. I never got over it. I miss him every single day. I still have his number in my phone waiting for him to call. Pretty pathetic, but I miss him beyond words.

Hawks46

Reaction score
That's expected. I'm not really all that close to my dad, and when I lose him, it's going to suck.

mikeak

Reaction score
I really like the OP look at pistol vs Tampa Two - thanks.

With that said I don't agree with comparing the Seahawks result of using a system that others already ran (such as the redskin) to the results of teams with true innovation. In addition a lot of those 150pts were the result of special teams play and defensive td's and turnovers forced

Latest posts