Pick #35 Malik McDowell, DT, Michigan State

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":kq7thb2q said:
hawknation2017":kq7thb2q said:
This is an interesting pick because I felt like Jefferson offered a lot of the same things as McDowell.

But I like that they are making the 3T interior pass rush a priority. It's a key for this scheme that has been lacking since 2013.

Isn't competition at all positions part of Pete's philosophy?

Yes.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Considering the so called experts had Trubisky rated as the number one QB I think i'll take my chances with McDowell.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
nash72":2sss58ed said:
Jeremy517":2sss58ed said:
Anyone who says that defensive line wasn't a position of need hasn't been paying attention.

Is the offensive line a position of need also? Of course. But say you have the top guy at one position of need rated a 90 and the top guy at another position of need a 70. If you ever take the 70 instead of the 90, you are making a colossal mistake, regardless of whether or not the 70 might play at a position of greater need.

We let 3 of the top 4 Olineman on the board go (our biggest and most crucial need) and drafted a guy that was ranked by most as a low 2nd to mid 3rd round pick.
ne_nau.gif

Wut?

He was a projected first rounder. http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/malik-mcdowell?id=2557970

And "top" offensive linemen in this draft is like saying the "premium" burger at McDonald's, especially when there's a Dick's right beside it.

Pass rusher was a HUGE hole last year. I can't be the only one who remembers this board absolutely melting down because we couldn't get to the quarterback last year and get off the field.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Scout's (McShay and friends) rating system has 4 areas with ratings from 1 to 5.

Malik McDowell

Versus the RUn - 2 - Above Average

Pass Rush Skills - 1 - Exceptional

Quickness (Hands/feet) - 1 - Exceptional

Toughness/Motor - 3 - Average

'nuff said.

Jeremy517

Reaction score
nash72":24ykjw44 said:
We let 3 of the top 4 Olineman on the board go (our biggest and most crucial need)
ne_nau.gif

The world's tallest midget is still a midget.

cymatica

Reaction score
Own The West":8q9ddntu said:
And with the 26th pick: Malik McDowell, Pick 95, 111, 226, and 249.

That's a pretty good pick!

Great point never looked at it that way

ivotuk

Reaction score
NFL.COM

Draft Projection Round 1

Sources Tell Us "He has a chance to be a dominant player in our league. I mean dominant. It hasn't turned on for him all the way yet but if it does, he could be like Mario Williams. He's just a little lazy and I worry about whether he is going to be a self-starter." -- NFC North area scout

NFL Comparison Ezekiel Ansah

Bottom Line Has similar physical traits and abilities of Arik Armstead and DeForest Buckner, but may not share their football character.

McDowell lacked production along the interior and could benefit from a move to a defensive end spot in a 4-3 or 3-4 front.

McDowell is raw, but when he flashes, it can be blinding. McDowell is an explosive, ascending prospect with All-Pro potential if he grows into his body and takes the necessary coaching.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/ ... id=2557970

brimsalabim

Reaction score
BullHawk33":27zxpqnr said:
I'm sure they feel Tom Cable can develop the linemen he has. :?
Or they think Cable can develop Malik McDowell...

Mod edit

nash72

Reaction score
McDowell had 1.5 sacks last year. That's impressive.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Generated pressure on 15% of his pass rushing snaps . . . nice.

:irishdrinkers:

RockinHawks

Reaction score
Jeremy517":3p2qp6oa said:
nash72":3p2qp6oa said:
We let 3 of the top 4 Olineman on the board go (our biggest and most crucial need)
ne_nau.gif

The world's tallest midget is still a midget.
Yes!!! Thank you!!!

This group of OL are subpar versus any other draft. So why would we take any of them over premium talent?

bmorepunk

Reaction score
I'm just glad Malcom McDowell's grandson will be playing for the Seahawks.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Yawn.

In a draft that has some of the best secondary depth in close to 5 years, after enduring holes in the secondary repeatedly....we draft a DL in a draft where DL talent is below average.

Yay.

The problem with "having lots of draft capital" is that you still have to invest it wisely.

Our first pick is a guy who half-asses it repeatedly in games. And isn't as good as DL historically have been at that slot. But hey, we traded around alot and got someone mediocre.

Maybe we can pick up a backup punter with some amazing draft day moves, racking us up some great picks so we can squander them on average players?

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
we've been lacking interior pass rush for YEARS this is a good pick.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Bolles, Robinson, and Lamp will be very good. But obviously Robinson and Lamp -- at least -- were not priorities for us.

I hope they clean up on offensive linemen going forward and get Taylor Moton. In some ways, he is the safest option for us because he has great length, solid pass pro technique (no sacks allowed), and plenty of experience at RT.