PFF Coverage Grades, Game 1

mistaowen

Reaction score

Pass rush that can't get home and DB's who give up everything short for easy YAC/have no ability to break up passes. At least Woolen looked the part. Witherspoon better come in angry to turn this secondary around, Coby Bryant looks to be one of the worst cover DB's in the league.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
View attachment 60605

Pass rush that can't get home and DB's who give up short stuff/have no ability to break up passes. At least Woolen looked the part. Witherspoon better come in angry to turn this secondary around, Coby Bryant looks to be one of the worst cover DB's in the league.
This is what I expected after seeing 2 Rams WRs racking up over 100 yards receiving each. Atwell and Nacua burned the Seahawks repeatedly yesterday.

Love received a worse grade than Bryant. But the eye opener for me is Quandre Diggs. He was great his first two seasons with the Seahawks. Last year and now this, he's been subpar. I think the Seahawks may have given him too much money. Adams doesn't play but when he does, the defense seems to play much better. There is a noticeable difference, even if Adams isn't producing as some would like. Can't say the same for Diggs.

Last edited:

renofox

Reaction score
Adams is the 3rd highest paid safety in the NFL and he's contributing nothing with his projected future contributions being nil.

Diggs is the 10th highest paid safety in the NFL and contributed with 3 assists and no PD on a day when the opponent had ~100 pass completions in the middle of the field.

I saw a tweet where the Seahawks are paying over 20% of their cap to the safety position, where most other teams pay 5-6%.

Does this qualify as "gross mismanagement" of the roster?

seabowl

Reaction score
Adams is the 3rd highest paid safety in the NFL and he's contributing nothing with his projected future contributions being nil.

Diggs is the 10th highest paid safety in the NFL and contributed with 3 assists and no PD on a day when the opponent had ~100 pass completions in the middle of the field.

I saw a tweet where the Seahawks are paying over 20% of their cap to the safety position, where most other teams pay 5-6%.

Does this qualify as "gross mismanagement" of the roster?
Yes. I’m surprised Tre Brown rated even that high yesterday. He was horrendous and they kept picking on him knowing he was horrendous.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Except Woolen and Burns, according to the PFF grades, everyone else in the secondary who played yesterday was trash.

OP
OP
mistaowen

mistaowen

Reaction score
Just to add salt to the wound - Rams missed two walk in TD's as well. One ever so slight overthrow by Stafford (against Woolen) and then their RB ran a wrong route where Stafford threw a perfect walk in TD pass towards the pylon, expecting him to go there (uncovered) and immediately screamed at him. Both would have been easy TD's in an already miserable beat down.

So collectively, this entire unit from coaches to players should be running sprints all day today.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Soft zone + can't get home with 4 = long season. We've seen this story before.

Will some creative blitzes with JA and Spoon help? Remains to be seen.

OP
OP
mistaowen

mistaowen

Reaction score
Soft zone + can't get home with 4 = long season. We've seen this story before.

Will some creative blitzes with JA and Spoon help? Remains to be seen.

They have to start scheming creative pressure until the front 4 can get pressure on their own (lol, if only). Have to. Stafford was terrific but their line is bad and had a bunch of no names catching passes uncontested. It only gets harder from here, Hurtt cannot go into Detroit and hope to just “limit explosives” because their OL is going to maul this group. Adams being probably the best pass rusher will be a bonus for sure, Witherspoon needs to live up to his hype.

Ozzy

Reaction score
The amount of money we're paying our safeties is almost staggering all things considered. They have to find a way to create pressure or they're going to struggle.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The funny part is the along with LB, Safety is one of the big weaknesses of the team.

Scout

Reaction score
Stafford dropped some dimes against the WRs that Love was guarding several times throughout the game, but overall Love's pass coverage like the rest of the DBs was terrrrrrrrrrrible.

JGreen79

Reaction score
Except Woolen and Burns, according to the PFF grades, everyone else in the secondary who played yesterday was trash.

Been watching the All 22 this morning. I'm about midway through 3rd qtr. Woolen is still a beast.

Love and Bryant are consistently in the wrong spot. I've lost track of how many times they've been in the way of the other DB's. It also seems there is no trust, guys in the middle following a guy allowing those open spaces in the short to middle passing game.

On the offensive line I've been focusing on Evan Brown. I don't recall him getting pushed back to this point looks like a solid pickup after one game.

renofox

Reaction score
PFF got the Love grade correct. Just reviewed some film and, omg, he was horrendous. Opposing offenses just need to call a rub anywhere near him and he'll move directly into the area he should be vacating to get in the CB's way - and he'll do so while making sure he is in the absolute worst position to cover his own assignment.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Love sucked. Diggs has more miss than hit for a while now.

It has to get better but it was pretty bad.
Safety and LB are huge holes for us. Whatever we tried to fix our safety issue does not appear to be working.

Maybe it will fix over time as Love gels better. But my god.

Latest posts