Petes Cryptic Message

sprhawk73

Reaction score
“And so, I love this locker room. I love this team and what they bring and leadership and how much they love to practice and play and work together and play for one another. We’ve got the nucleus of a championship right here, and so we’re going to try to keep that together. We’ll take you with us as we go through it.”

As fans you have to like PC's passion and demeanor, and I believe he is "all in" but you can't change reality to what you want it to be. What nucleus? Adams?

As it is the Seahawks are not a legitimate contender and without trade options or draft picks, it isn't going to get better any time soon. Imagine losing Rus, Wagner, Metcalf and Penny? What's left?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Smart or not, there has to be a very big part of Pete who wants to blow it all up and start over to see if he can build another elite D and run game.

Instead of trying to just hang on and see if Russell can get back to form.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Good luck building another Elite D.

But the question is, if we do rebuild and build another exceptionally good D and a great run game - does that actually help us have any kind of expectation we can reach the playoffs more or have greater playoff success than recently?

Because the Bengals have an iffy line, OK defense, mediocre run game, and are advancing. Meanwhile, the Ravens are at home with a great run game and very good, if not great defense.

You can counter with the 49ers. Conceded.

But it sure looks like offense is at least 1.x more important than defense in today's NFL.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":mo1ch77t said:

But the question is, if we do rebuild and build another exceptionally good D and a great run game - does that actually help us have any kind of expectation we can reach the playoffs more or have greater playoff success than recently?

Because the Bengals have an iffy line, OK defense, mediocre run game, and are advancing. Meanwhile, the Ravens are at home with a great run game and very good, if not great defense.

But it sure looks like offense is at least 1.x more important than defense in today's NFL.

It's the NFL, it's all important. Balance, that's the key.

What's the old saying, your strengths get you to the playoffs, and your weaknesses is why you lose.

Look no further than GB, their Achilles heal all year was their terrible special teams, and that was their downfall in their loss to the Niners.

So it all matters.

My point is there has to be a part of Pete who would love to trade Russell and see if he and John can build another SB contender. The other part of Pete knows without Russell he probably would have got fired 4-5 years ago. So there's that.

chris98251

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1x67szdw said:

How many times was Burrows sacked? Thats not a good sign and looks more like an exception to the rule, in fact most this season does. We have them a one year outlier is not a trend.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
chris98251":xlk0voi7 said:
TwistedHusky":xlk0voi7 said:

How many times was Burrows sacked? Thats not a good sign and looks more like an exception to the rule, in fact most this season does. We have them a one year outlier is not a trend.

Yet their outlier year means they have won twice as many playoff games as us in the last five years. In the playoffs we are the prey while the other teams know that and become the hunters.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I agree with the comment here “good luck in creating another elite defence “.

We saw how easily Mahomes worked over Buffalo who had the #1 D in the AFC. The NFL has now so emasculated defences around the league with rules changes that an “elite D” is a thing of the past. Wild end of game shootouts are the new normal as Defence has seemingly become ‘old school’. I miss seeing good defensive play.

To me the days of the LOB are long gone and flag football is now the norm. I miss the slobberknocking which would now garner a penalty every time.

As to Pete's cryptic message I don't know what he could honestly reply to a situation where the impetus to divest the team of RW doesn't apparently come from the FO.

John63

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":gfem5upo said:
TwistedHusky":gfem5upo said:

It's the NFL, it's all important. Balance, that's the key.

What's the old saying, your strengths get you to the playoffs, and your weaknesses is why you lose.

Look no further than GB, their Achilles heal all year was their terrible special teams, and that was their downfall in their loss to the Niners.

So it all matters.

My point is there has to be a part of Pete who would love to trade Russell and see if he and John can build another SB contender. The other part of Pete knows without Russell he probably would have got fired 4-5 years ago. So there's that.

Well, truth be told GB Rodgers was a bad period. I mean the supposed MVP did little. It was not just their special teams it was their whole offense and the defensive way the offense played. They pled not to lose and they lost.

John63

Reaction score
As to the cryptic PC ting.

We will find out soon enough

Maybe Wilson knew something when he made his comment about wanting to stay here but if the Hawks wanted to trade him.

we will see.

LTH

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":21tfvr4j said:

I think the answer to the question is that there are more than one way to win a SB. I think it just depends on how good the teams are at doing what they do. perfect example is the 2013 Seahawks vs the Bronco's

LTH

Elemas

Reaction score
Didn’t seem cryptic to me.

Every player, coach GM, etc. is expendable.

What I find funny is if RW said something like this, there’d be an uproar.

Thus far, even Russell’s comment about playing SOMEWHERE…are 100% true.

toffee

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2167sz4f said:
Smart or not, there has to be a very big part of Pete who wants to blow it all up and start over to see if he can build another elite D and run game.

Apparently not, there are reports out there that Pete vetoed Chicago's trade offer last off-season, he may reject offers again this off-season too. Pete Carroll is a bigger Russell Wilson homer than John63. John Schneider, on the other hand, has wandering eyes, he did looked at Mahomes, Allen, etc.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
jammerhawk":efl2lp46 said:
Iagree with the comment here “good luck in creating another elite defence “.

We saw how easily Mahomes worked over Buffalo who had the #1 D in the AFC. The NFL has so emasculated defences around the league with rules changes that an “elite D” is a thing of the past. Wild end of game shootouts are the new normal asDefence has seemingly become ‘old school’.

To me the days of the LOB are long gone and flag football his now the norm. I miss the slobberknocking which would garner a penalty. every time.

Aren't the Niners dispelling this right now?

Jimmy G is terrible, he's tried for three straight playoff games now to make sure the Niners don't advance.

Yet here they are in the NFC Championship game. Why? Because they're playing lights out defense, running the ball with Deebo and tremendous special teams.

Sure it helps to have a high flying offense, but it's still football. You can also win a lot with a great D and run game.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Right now, the number one factor that determines the success or failure of a team is the quality of the QB.

By a mile.

In fact, the QB might be the only position that is almost significantly responsible for team success despite all else.

So if the QB is this significant a factor, wouldn't passing be fairly important?

Yes, you can win a lot with great D and run game, but there is little to no correlation between those elements and consistently being in the playoffs + consistent playoff success. Meanwhile, if you have a great passing offense, the correlation is almost linear to how you are ranked in TDs passing.

It certainly seems defenses are forced to play with one hand behind their back and most passing offenses are built to take advantage of that now.

toffee

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":86scwtu5 said:
Right now, the number one factor that determines the success or failure of a team is the quality of the QB.

By a mile.

In fact, the QB might be the only position that is almost significantly responsible for team success despite all else.

So if the QB is this significant a factor, wouldn't passing be fairly important?

Yes, you can win a lot with great D and run game, but there is little to no correlation between those elements and consistently being in the playoffs + consistent playoff success. Meanwhile, if you have a great passing offense, the correlation is almost linear to how you are ranked in TDs passing.

It certainly seems defenses are forced to play with one hand behind their back and most passing offenses are built to take advantage of that now.

Jimmy G, powered 9ers into NFC championship game, by a mile.

John63

Reaction score
toffee":1r8d8jta said:
TwistedHusky":1r8d8jta said:

By a mile.

Jimmy G, powered 9ers into NFC championship game, by a mile.

LOl really let's see
He threw the ball 19 times, he completed 57% of his passes He has a 57 Passer rating and 11 QBR and 106 yards and an INT. really that's powered? If that was Wilson you would be saying the run game and defense won it and Wilson got lucky. It amazes me the hypocritical nature of some on this board.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
toffee":2lvmrxz6 said:
Sgt. Largent":2lvmrxz6 said:

Apparently not, there are reports out there that Pete vetoed Chicago's trade offer last off-season, he may reject offers again this off-season too. Pete Carroll is a bigger Russell Wilson homer than John63. John Schneider, on the other hand, has wandering eyes, he did looked at Mahomes, Allen, etc.

Pete had to be convinced to draft Russell Wilson in the first place. Who convinced Pete....none other than John Schneider. John keeping a wandering eye is him doing his job...as he is supposed to do. But he was in Russell's corner before Pete was. So one could say JS is a bigger RW homer than Pete Carroll.
https://www.nfl.com/news/pete-carroll-had-to-be-convinced-to-draft-russell-wilson-0ap2000000312949

HawkFreak

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3e3l9pvs said:
jammerhawk":3e3l9pvs said:
Iagree with the comment here “good luck in creating another elite defence “.

We saw how easily Mahomes worked over Buffalo who had the #1 D in the AFC. The NFL has so emasculated defences around the league with rules changes that an “elite D” is a thing of the past. Wild end of game shootouts are the new normal asDefence has seemingly become ‘old school’.

To me the days of the LOB are long gone and flag football his now the norm. I miss the slobberknocking which would garner a penalty. every time.

Aren't the Niners dispelling this right now?

Jimmy G is terrible, he's tried for three straight playoff games now to make sure the Niners don't advance.

Yet here they are in the NFC Championship game. Why? Because they're playing lights out defense, running the ball with Deebo and tremendous special teams.

Sure it helps to have a high flying offense, but it's still football. You can also win a lot with a great D and run game.

Defense still makes a difference. I just believe not as much as it has in the past.

And the NFL will probably continue to tweak rules to minimize defense as much as possible.
I mean....look at the offensive shootout between the Bills and Chiefs. It's being talked about as possibly the greatest playoff game in NFL history. Why? because of the crazy pace of the offensive scoring.

People want "fun", fast-paced, high scoring, lead changing football right? Not some low scoring game that drags on with punts, turnovers, and miniscule stat lines.

It's what the NFL thinks the people want and will pay to see - and so it's what the NFL wants.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Jimmy G is able to be on a team loaded with 1st round picks on the DL, and one of the most innovative offensive minds in the NFL.

Saying that is a model because he did it, is like seeing Steph fling up a half-court shot and then saying everyone should be doing it now that Curry and Lillard do it.

Makes no sense. It isn't something you can likely plan for or reasonably repeat.

As for Carroll's cryptic comment, it feels like the more cryptic comment is the one where he says we 'have the nucleus of a Championship Team' now.

Not sure what kind of nucleus that would be. I can only think of a few players I think other teams would want and not sure you would build an entire team around them...with the exception of Wilson who we might trade.

Half our best producers are aging vets or over the hill.

Or is that just rah-rah type motivational talk without substance behind it?