pete told Shotty to take more shots and less run plays...

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And it's not just us on here, it's everyone on both local stations........everyone is confused as to what they are doing with the play calling this year. They drove it down our throats that they were gonna' pound the rock. It works, and they go away from it. They claim they are going to do things to help Russ. None of these things have happened.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":14hp2ucf said:
Pete's style of offense worked when he had Marshawn Lynch, a near HOF quality RB, to bail out his bad decisions and take most of the focus of the defense.

He also needed a defense full of HOF players to keep his offense in the game.

Once he lost those, his system stopped working.

It doesn't work for a very good reason.

It is stupid.

His defense for now is keeping them relatively in the game, but I get your point

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
truehawksfan":fx4d6v71 said:
I don't know if he told Shotty to pass more or if he's trying to protect his OC because the game plan looked exactly like it did against Denver. Did Pete ask Shotty to do this too?

One thing is for sure. Pete likes to run the ball. He did this at USC. He did this with BeastMode. He drafted Penny in the first round. He praised Carson from day one.

At halftime he told the reporter we need to run more and we need to get the ball out faster.

All I know is this. Russell looks unconfortable running this offiense. I first thought he held onto the ball too long because he doesn't trust his WRs. In addition, he's hurried, because there's only 5-9 seconds on the clock when he gets to the line. No time to make adjustments.

But, the 4th qtr changed everything. The no huddle gave RW time to make changes at the line. He fired the ball with confidence, no hesitation taking the, "He doens't trust his receivers out of the equation". And we ran the ball more.

I know this included the terrible interception and funble, but for the first RW looked comfortable. And a lot better.

Wilson has looked more comfortable in the 4th quarter since college. There was a notable uptick in his stats in that quarter. The previous 3, he was mediocre. It's always been his calling card.

adeltaY

Reaction score
rcaido":zqylzsbc said:
SoulfishHawk":zqylzsbc said:
Well, it WAS working. But the talent level isn't near what it was. He's not adjusting, and it's getting very tiresome.

How much of it is injuries? We probably beat the Broncos if he had Baldwin or our Kicker didn't miss. What if we had KJ?

Bears was just bad, but again no Baldwin...No KJ...No Wagner despite our defense was good enough to win that game.

We still have the talent to play Pete style football.

No we don't. Do you think Rivers, Cousins, Rodgers, Goff, Jimmy G, and Mahomes are going to be as bad as Keenum and Mahomes? I don't. We've got five picks in the last two games, I don't see us maintaining that pace. Those turnovers have helped us keep the games close thusfar against mediocre opponents.

The only starter missing on offense was Baldwin. Throw in Fluker if you want to, but he wouldn't have done much to save us from the sacks because pass blocking is his weakness. The offense was atrocious. Pete ball is antiquated and we don't have the talent to make up for it any more. We haven't for years.

You bring up that we have the 2nd best win percentage since Russ got here. That's great, but how much of that is buoyed by 11, 13, and 12 win seasons, the last of which was four years ago? The last three years have been 10, 10, and 9. That's still pretty good, but not elite. Good enough for the sixth, fifth, and eight best records in the NFC those years. Now we're staring down the barrel of an 0-2 season having played two of the easiest games on our schedule. We need to go 10-4 after this to have a shot at the playoffs.

rcaido

Reaction score
adeltaY":jzxc5mbk said:
rcaido":jzxc5mbk said:
SoulfishHawk":jzxc5mbk said:
Well, it WAS working. But the talent level isn't near what it was. He's not adjusting, and it's getting very tiresome.

How much of it is injuries? We probably beat the Broncos if he had Baldwin or our Kicker didn't miss. What if we had KJ?

Bears was just bad, but again no Baldwin...No KJ...No Wagner despite our defense was good enough to win that game.

No we don't. Do you think Rivers, Cousins, Rodgers, Goff, Jimmy G, and Mahomes are going to be as bad as Keenum and Mahomes? I don't. We've got five picks in the last two games, I don't see us maintaining that pace. Those turnovers have helped us keep the games close thusfar against mediocre opponents.

The only starter missing on offense was Baldwin. Throw in Fluker if you want to, but he wouldn't have done much to save us from the sacks because pass blocking is his weakness. The offense was atrocious. Pete ball is antiquated and we don't have the talent to make up for it any more. We haven't for years.

You bring up that we have the 2nd best win percentage since Russ got here. That's great, but how much of that is buoyed by 11, 13, and 12 win seasons, the last of which was four years ago? The last three years have been 10, 10, and 9. That's still pretty good, but not elite. Good enough for the sixth, fifth, and eight best records in the NFC those years. Now we're staring down the barrel of an 0-2 season having played two of the easiest games on our schedule. We need to go 10-4 after this to have a shot at the playoffs.

10, 10, 9 is good...We made the playoffs 2 out 3. If walsh didn't cost 2-3 games we are in again, throw in all the pro bowl injuries yeah i think that was pretty amazing.

As for no Baldwin, that's a huge...That would be like no Malone for Stockton to dish it out too. That's his go to guy on 3rd down which we have been absolutely horrible so far. Everyone else is pretty much new except for Locket which as you notice he has been connecting with.

If we are still losing once we have Bladwin, KJ, & Wagner back then yeah, i say we change the game plan.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
adeltaY":pk77s4ur said:
rcaido":pk77s4ur said:
SoulfishHawk":pk77s4ur said:

This. We are going to get throttled when we start playing good teams.

rcaido

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":grqw5t9w said:
adeltaY":grqw5t9w said:
rcaido":grqw5t9w said:
SoulfishHawk":grqw5t9w said:

We beat the Eagles & Patriots last year...We lose to shit teams like the Redskins and Cardinals. Its frustrating but it seems like we always play to our competition.

I wish we can be aggressive and take chances on bad teams. Play Pete ball against really good teams.

Seymour

Reaction score
I'll admit it right now. If Dallas destroys our offense like the first 2 weeks....I'm bumping the Tank thread. Not that it will really help the future (with poor draft choices)....but to put Paul Allen on red alert so he can "up periscope" from his Octopussy.

Up periscope cropped 200x200

NJlargent

Reaction score
rcaido":1faoh5of said:
pittpnthrs":1faoh5of said:
adeltaY":1faoh5of said:
rcaido":1faoh5of said:

We beat the Eagles & Patriots last year...We lose to shit teams like the Redskins and Cardinals. Its frustrating but it seems like we always play to our competition.

I wish we can be aggressive and take chances on bad teams. Play Pete ball against really good teams.

I believe we beat the Eagles because our guys got up for that game. The rest of the time they were uninterested and checked out because they were tired of Carroll and carrying him. They're gone now and Wilson is starting to get there too as seen by the reaction to the timeout.

Alternatively, if we do play to the level of our competition, that is a sign of poor coaching and preparation.