Personality disorder / loss of identity

HawkWow

Reaction score
That's what I am seeing with this team. My gawd how fast we give up on the one thing the Oline actually excels at (I'm being generous) and that is running the football. Lynch is still running like a man possessed out there. He's "not lost a step", nothing has really changed accept the play calling.

No it's not always pretty. A few short, seemingly meaningless carries, but he's establishing his will, finding his rhythm and punishing defenders. It's always been this way...then BOOM, he breaks one, then another. This opens up the passing game and we emerge victorious. Why the hell are we deviating from what won us a SB?

A line from "life during wartime" (Talking heads) seems appropriate "I've changed my hair style so many times now, I don't know what I look like".

We are losing our identity and at this rate, it will be a rapid descent from penthouse to outhouse. I know the cool kids ain't doin' it, but we need to get back to power football, imo.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
HawkWow":3ina3epx said:
That's what I am seeing with this team. My gawd how fast we give up on the one thing the Oline actually excels at (I'm being generous) and that is running the football. Lynch is still running like a man possessed out there. He's "not lost a step", nothing has really changed accept the play calling.

No it's not always pretty. A few short, seemingly meaningless carries, but he's establishing his will, finding his rhythm and punishing defenders. It's always been this way...then BOOM, he breaks one, then another. This opens up the passing game and we emerge victorious. Why the hell are we deviating from what won us a SB?

A line from "life during wartime" (Talking heads) seems appropriate "I've changed my hair style so many times now, I don't know what I look like".

We are losing our identity and at this rate, it will be a rapid descent from penthouse to outhouse. I know the cool kids ain't doin' it, but we need to get back to power football, imo.
This is the percy harvin effect.

The hawks COMPLETELY altered the offense that was good enough for a Super Bowl and turned it into a gimmick offense featuring an ineffective Harvin.

The Hawks had Golden Tate, and they gave up our previous offense so they could go all-in with Harvin in year 2..

The draft picks and the cap space would have been much better spent improving the OL and re-signing tate.

Harvin is hurting the team along with Bevell

Rob12

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":3escjztj said:
HawkWow":3escjztj said:

The hawks COMPLETELY altered the offense that was good enough for a Super Bowl and turned it into a gimmick offense featuring an ineffective Harvin.

The Hawks had Golden Tate, and they gave up our previous offense so they could go all-in with Harvin in year 2..

The draft picks and the cap space would have been much better spent improving the OL and re-signing tate.

I'd remove Harvin from your blame. He's only doing what Bevell is telling him to do. He's not calling these ineffective plays.

He's a great player but teams have the blueprint on stopping him in his current role. I'd prefer to see him used as an actual receiver. But either way, Harvin is not the problem.

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":f8e48bex said:
HawkWow":f8e48bex said:

makes sense . every time we tried getting the ball to harvin today it was terrible .

OP
OP
H

HawkWow

Reaction score
I've said the same all along, bro. I have been Harvin's biggest critic. Myself and a certain mod here spent weeks arguing over the Tate / Harvin ordeal. I'm not suggesting you are, but I am not putting any of this on Harvin. I am very pleased with the Seahawks version of Percy Harvin and I'd only want Tate over Harvin (then) because of price difference...which isn't that much different today. Harvin is doing as asked but I believe he is being used inappropriately. That doesn't surprise me with Bevell...or most OCs, but it does surprise me with Pete. Stunned would be a better word.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Rob12":32qb1spo said:
bjornanderson21":32qb1spo said:
HawkWow":32qb1spo said:

I'd remove Harvin from your blame. He's only doing what Bevell is telling him to do. He's not calling these ineffective plays.

He's a great player but teams have the blueprint on stopping him in his current role. I'd prefer to see him used as an actual receiver. But either way, Harvin is not the problem.
Only problem is Harvin isn't really a receiver. He has always been used this way. He isn't a slot guy.

OP
OP
H

HawkWow

Reaction score
I'll go one step further and suggest Lynch expressed a concern that this might happen and next thing you know, instead of drafting help and protection for Lynch and RW, they drafted Lynch's replacement. That worked out real well and Lynch laughs his way to the bank. This is harsh, but this FO..the same FO that brought us our only title, could ultimately end up ruining what they created and be left looking like fools.

Before someone challenges that statement, please do have a good reason for the drafting of Michael. It made no sense then. It makes less sense now.

The Richardson pick I understand a bit more. He was about the closest thing to Harvin on the board and this FO decided the day they traded for Harvin that we were going to be a more dazzling (gimmicky) offense. Unsure that they could count on Harvin's health, they reached for Richardson. And here we are today. In fairness, I suppose the fear that few teams repeat drove these guys to trying something new..or to insanity. One or the other (if not both).

OP
OP
H

HawkWow

Reaction score
Natethegreat":2p5bt6op said:
Rob12":2p5bt6op said:
bjornanderson21":2p5bt6op said:
HawkWow":2p5bt6op said:

Only problem is Harvin isn't really a receiver. He has always been used this way. He isn't a slot guy.

He did have good success as a WR under Favre. But he also had a guy named Moss pulling double coverage, too.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Natethegreat":fxizp5ae said:
Rob12":fxizp5ae said:
bjornanderson21":fxizp5ae said:
HawkWow":fxizp5ae said:

To be fair, IIRC, in his very limited games last year Harvin seemed to have more down-field targets than in the 5 games this season. And he caught the ball (couple great catches!) and had some YAC.

Harvin is obviously one of the more dangerous players in space, and I see plays designed to be low risk ways to get the ball in his hands, which should be a good thing. Bad thing is defenses are easily keying on those plays. Jet sweeps in particular, and bubbles also are easy to diagnose. They also have to be blocked properly to be effective, and that ain't happening.
He can't be effective when the D smells bubble screen presnap, and an LB, safety and CB come up unmolested. Heck, the Eagles ran a couple bubbles for 1st downs against the Giants tonight in the 5 minutes I could stand to watch. The receivers sold it way better than the Hawks have been, and the lead receivers actually got blocks in.

They've got to be more creative, and Harvin can be very effective. But if you only use him on jets sweeps and bubbles, I would expect more of the same results.

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
Natethegreat":13yw104d said:
Rob12":13yw104d said:
bjornanderson21":13yw104d said:
HawkWow":13yw104d said:

What in the hell are you talking about? He's had 49 receptions gaining 20+ yds and a (pre-Seattle) YPC of 12 yds. By contrast, in the same timeframe yet in fewer games (64-60), Tate had 37 plays of 20+ yds and and a 13.3 ypc. How the hell do you get these stats catching screens and taking hand-offs all day? Yes, Minnesota used him in that role, but Jesus, he certainly wasn't used exclusively in that role. It's only Bevell that believes that crap...this myth is busted with 20 minutes of research. What a complete misconception. If he'd have been put in the identical role that Tate played in last year, he'd be tearing it up.

Mick063

Reaction score
Everything is based on Russell running in circles, evading the pass rush, and searching for the wide outs in a scramble drill. The offensive lineman are turned in circles and instinctively grab. Too much chaos to execute consistently.

The coverage has no fear of the deep ball and are blanketing the receivers at the snap, providing no cushion, and forcing Wilson to throw into tight windows. His interceptions are going to skyrocket unless they call a few plays to back the corners off. Then again, Wilson only gets time for a three step drop, so they can't throw a 25 yard go route if they wanted to.

The pass protection is behind 75% of their problems on offense. The play calls are the other 25%. The real truth is that Bevel has a limited playbook because the left tackle is a turn style.

Where are the quick timing patterns?

Rob12

Reaction score
I call BS, Harvin can be more of a receiver if Bevell would pull his head out.

OP
OP
H

HawkWow

Reaction score
LoneHawkFan":35c7x26v said:
What in the hell are you talking about? He's had 49 receptions gaining 20+ yds and a (pre-Seattle) YPC of 12 yds. By contrast, in the same timeframe yet in fewer games (64-60), Tate had 37 plays of 20+ yds and and a 13.3 ypc. How the hell do you get these stats catching screens and taking hand-offs all day? Yes, Minnesota used him in that role, but Jesus, he certainly wasn't used exclusively in that role. It's only Bevell that believes that crap...this myth is busted with 20 minutes of research. What a complete misconception. If he'd have been put in the identical role that Tate played in last year, he'd be tearing it up.

Perhaps a bit harsh, bro. Not everyone watched Harvin's entire career (pre-Ponder). For those that started watching him with Ponder, they saw what Nate saw. The stat that jumped out for them was that Ponder's passes to Harvin were at the LOS, and at an average of 1 (one) yd. Harvin then turned that up field for an impressive avg of 10 yds. They also saw him play RB, not many true WRs do so. It would be easy to see Harvin more Swiss army knife than true WR, imo.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Mick063":14t2kwa5 said:
Everything is based on Russell running in circles, evading the pass rush, and searching for the wide outs in a scramble drill. The offensive lineman are turned in circles and instinctively grab. Too much chaos to execute consistently.

The coverage has no fear of the deep ball and are blanketing the receivers at the snap, providing no cushion, and forcing Wilson to throw into tight windows. His interceptions are going to skyrocket unless they call a few plays to back the corners off. Then again, Wilson only gets time for a three step drop, so they can't throw a 25 yard go route if they wanted to.

The pass protection is behind 75% of their problems on offense. The play calls are the other 25%. The real truth is that Bevel has a limited playbook because the left tackle is a turn style.

YES, exactly!

OP
OP
H

HawkWow

Reaction score
Mick063":gr0fi1z1 said:

Good stuff, Mick.

It always comes down to execution. As I said in a different tread, for every fire Bevell thread, there should be 2 fire Cable threads. I refer to the new look as gimmickry, but it may very well be that way out of necessity.

chris98251

Reaction score
If I remember correctly the knock on Tate was his route running, so saying that it's not really a difference, Harvin makes cuts on the fly and can double move better then anyone. His hands are good, he catches kickoffs and the ball in traffic, it's all about utilization and where you get him the ball, getting him the ball constantly BEHIND the line of scrimmage versus moving forward or into the defense where he can make a move without 6 guys around him seems like it would be the best utilization of his talents where he can make a move on one guy or maybe a couple, instead of the whole defense.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":1vvkckdt said:
HawkWow":1vvkckdt said:

I'm convinced Percy stole this dude's chick or something.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
HawkWow":28zek9ja said:
The Richardson pick I understand a bit more. He was about the closest thing to Harvin on the board and this FO decided the day they traded for Harvin that we were going to be a more dazzling (gimmicky) offense. Unsure that they could count on Harvin's health, they reached for Richardson. And here we are today. In fairness, I suppose the fear that few teams repeat drove these guys to trying something new..or to insanity. One or the other (if not both).

Richardson was in no way close to Harvin. Just because the kid is fast, doesn't mean they want to make him Percy Harvin.

It's no secret that PC was enamored by DeSean Jackson for a long time dating all the way back to his days at Cal. I think they even flirted with the idea of trying to sign him, but couldn't afford to commit that type of money to the WR position.. thus they looked to address that via the draft - as Richardson, at least looking at his college film, is a spitting image of DeSean Jackson.

So basically.. this paragraph is wrong. The team wanted more top flight speed at WR... they got it.. its just taking him time to get onto the field, for who knows whatever reason. Norwood is apparently in the same boat.

That said - our WR's are fine. Its the play-calling that is abysmal.

Rob12

Reaction score
No one is ever going to convince me that Percy Harvin is incapable of running routes beyond the LOS.

Latest posts