Percy Harvin might be more effective w/o the ball in hand

tom sawyer

Reaction score
http://seattletimes.com/html/seahawks/2 ... 25xml.html

Before the snap, the Seahawks brought Harvin across the field in motion and faked handing him the ball seven times — on what are known as “jet” or “fly” sweeps. Even though the Seahawks never gave Harvin the ball, the threat of doing so gave running back Marshawn Lynch more room to run.

“He kept drawing attention, and it allowed us to run the ball inside,” Carroll said. “It was a really significant part of the plan. ... There wasn’t a time to give him the football, but his factor was still felt.”

The Seahawks have lined Harvin up all over — at inside and outside receiver, at running back — and they have moved him around before the snap. If nothing else, that creates more scenarios for which opposing defensive coordinators must prepare.

This season will be great!!

Seanhawk

Reaction score
tom sawyer":6mmzvgj1 said:
http://seattletimes.com/html/seahawks/2024620801_seahawksharvin25xml.html

Before the snap, the Seahawks brought Harvin across the field in motion and faked handing him the ball seven times — on what are known as “jet” or “fly” sweeps. Even though the Seahawks never gave Harvin the ball, the threat of doing so gave running back Marshawn Lynch more room to run.

“He kept drawing attention, and it allowed us to run the ball inside,” Carroll said. “It was a really significant part of the plan. ... There wasn’t a time to give him the football, but his factor was still felt.”

The Seahawks have lined Harvin up all over — at inside and outside receiver, at running back — and they have moved him around before the snap. If nothing else, that creates more scenarios for which opposing defensive coordinators must prepare.

This season will be great!!

This brings up my only gripe about the offensive approach in the 2nd half. There were several key 3rd downs where Percy wasn't on the field, in most cases he was replaced by Bryan Walters. You don't have to give him the ball, just having him on the field has an impact.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Seanhawk":11trhmu0 said:
This brings up my only gripe about the offensive approach in the 2nd half. There were several key 3rd downs where Percy wasn't on the field, in most cases he was replaced by Bryan Walters. You don't have to give him the ball, just having him on the field has an impact.
Yep. Percy Harvin is tied for 75th in the league for # of snaps he has spent on the field, with 118. This is out of 111 total receivers that have taken at least 25% of their team's snaps. No other healthy #1 WR is even close to taking that low of a number. Hell, Angry Doug is at 166 snaps. I love me some ADB, but why the hell is Percy seeing considerably limited snaps?

By comparison, Megatron has been on the field for 80.5% of Stafford's snaps. (174 of 216) Percy has been on the field 118 of Rusell's 192, 61.4%.

Now at this point, most fans of our offensive coordinator will go: "But Roland! We run the ball more, that only makes sense!"

Stop right there, guys. I thought of that, which is why I went and counted up the number of rushing attempts all of our running backs AND Percy have had this year thus far, and that number is 68. Detroit's running backs alone (not sure if they've done any rushes with WRs, and not going to bother checking) have had 77 rushing attempts. The Lions offense has taken more snaps than Seattle's has, (216 to 192) but 35.6% of their offensive snaps have been runs. 35.4% of Seattle's have been. The Detroit Lions are running more than the Seattle Seahawks at present.

So, yeah, I cannot fathom why we don't have Percy simply lining up more. Seems like lunacy to me to not be doing it. Perhaps someone with more football knowledge than myself can explain this?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":24p69g79 said:
So, yeah, I cannot fathom why we don't have Percy simply lining up more. Seems like lunacy to me to not be doing it. Perhaps someone with more football knowledge than myself can explain this?

Because they're trying to manage his snaps in order to keep him fresh and healthy all year, Pete's said this quite a few times.

You don't want to throw a guy like Harvin who goes 100% on every play and takes the hits he takes out there for 90% of the offensive snaps, that's what Minnesota did, and why he was dinged up all the time. Pete wants to take a more conservative approach so Harvin's effective late in the season and the playoffs, and not limping around at 75% effectiveness.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":t4d334r6 said:
RolandDeschain":t4d334r6 said:

Because they're trying to manage his snaps in order to keep him fresh and healthy all year, Pete's said this quite a few times.

You don't want to throw a guy like Harvin who goes 100% on every play and takes the hits he takes out there for 90% of the offensive snaps, that's what Minnesota did, and why he was dinged up all the time. Pete wants to take a more conservative approach so Harvin's effective late in the season and the playoffs, and not limping around at 75% effectiveness.
All he has to do is be a decoy...he doesn't need to get the ball all the time. His presence is felt by just lining up out there

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
-The Glove-":jeo4ehev said:
Sgt. Largent":jeo4ehev said:
RolandDeschain":jeo4ehev said:

All he has to do is be a decoy...he doesn't need to get the ball all the time. His presence is felt by just lining up out there

Even as a decoy he has to run and take hits while he blocks. No it's not like catching or carrying the ball, but it still takes more of a toll than not being involve in the series.

Bottom line for me with Percy is if the game's on the line like it was in overtime or the final drive in SD, he was on the field. Not having him for a series or two in the 3rd quarter is IMO nitpicking Pete's gameplan for keeping him healthy all year.

mjwhitay

Reaction score
Yup. When the game is on the line, he'll be on the field. If he were to get usage like game 1 every week, its unlikely he'd make it through healthy, like any other receiver. I want him ready to play 90% of the snaps in December, January and one Sunday in February .

BlueBlood

Reaction score
They are treating him like they do a young, fragile (perceived) stud (obviously) pitcher in the majors. Percy has a pitch count, but theyll pull him off the pine when they need a strike out. As was the case in OT.

byau

Reaction score
Seanhawk":1lj6oviw said:

Maybe trying to manage his snaps. After all we were up 17-3 at halftime and the Broncos didn't show much until halfway through the 4th. At that point Percy was back in again and was a key part of the OT drive

I love seeing him being used creatively. It was either the OT drive or sometime in 4th down I think Harvin went in motion, not jet-sweep speed, but just regular motion, than cut back and lined up right on the left side and then did a short cross. Russell got him the ball I think right at the line and he just exploded and high-stepped out of bounds, and I think the gain was something like 9 yards easy. Amazing

By the way re: Walters I watched the 4th quarter again and OT and while I posted Walters numbers yesterday as being one of the less productive numbers (only receiver to do under 70% completion I think), after re-watching, that guy made some great plays in the 4th

BlueBlood

Reaction score
byau":21i13lfz said:
Seanhawk":21i13lfz said:

Maybe trying to manage his snaps. After all we were up 17-3 at halftime and the Broncos didn't show much until halfway through the 4th. At that point Percy was back in again and was a key part of the OT drive

I love seeing him being used creatively. It was either the OT drive or sometime in 4th down I think Harvin went in motion, not jet-sweep speed, but just regular motion, than cut back and lined up right on the left side and then did a short cross. Russell got him the ball I think right at the line and he just exploded and high-stepped out of bounds, and I think the gain was something like 9 yards easy. Amazing

By the way re: Walters I watched the 4th quarter again and OT and while I posted Walters numbers yesterday as being one of the less productive numbers (only receiver to do under 70% completion I think), after re-watching, that guy made some great plays in the 4th

Exactly. Just like Wilson doesnt run ALL game. If the defense is holding their own, they are controlling the clock and have a healthy lead, then why be exotic or over use a player or scheme? So youre right, they are managing his snaps and playing smart, controlled football. They will take the training wheels off when its time to fly.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
BlueBlood":hfk04ptu said:
They are treating him like they do a young, fragile (perceived) stud (obviously) pitcher in the majors. Percy has a pitch count, but theyll pull him off the pine when they need a strike out. As was the case in OT.

This i disagree with (as an opinion... no facts to back it up)

I dont think they are protecting Percy. I think they have a gameplan for the offense. When Percy's in, that gameplan takes a specific shape. When he's out its something completely different. I think they manage the offense around the gameplan, not the player.

(or...i'm talking a load of crap because I really dont know that much about the ins and outs of tactical football)

mikeak

Reaction score
Because having him on the field as a decoy means he isn't getting the ball ie one option less

Walters did get the ball...

So indication is very much that he is on a pitch count

A

Anonymous

byau":1lcmzd0a said:
Seanhawk":1lcmzd0a said:

This is solid observation right here.

I'm afraid if Percy sees a higher snap-count, we'll not have the electricity we need later on. If we weren't seeing Harvin but a few snaps a game, there would be an issue.

Walters is a mini receiver-beast right now. Reminds me of a Welker/Amendola cross. Shifty, good hands, clean routes, giant seeds. More than willing to make a catch in the middle of the field. Let him take the punishment and let Percy to the foo-foo plays.

chris98251

Reaction score
Managing his hits isn't a bad idea, right now he is sort of a bullpen guy, remember he has been off the field except to showcase a few plays for over a year, his hip being repaired is great but I think they want to use him surgically for now and then up his snaps as they see how he handles a certain number of plays per game.

Exittium

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":ir3rjtmk said:
Seanhawk":ir3rjtmk said:
Yep. Percy Harvin is tied for 75th in the league for # of snaps he has spent on the field, with 118. This is out of 111 total receivers that have taken at least 25% of their team's snaps. No other healthy #1 WR is even close to taking that low of a number. Hell, Angry Doug is at 166 snaps. I love me some ADB, but why the hell is Percy seeing considerably limited snaps?

By comparison, Megatron has been on the field for 80.5% of Stafford's snaps. (174 of 216) Percy has been on the field 118 of Rusell's 192, 61.4%.

Now at this point, most fans of our offensive coordinator will go: "But Roland! We run the ball more, that only makes sense!"

Stop right there, guys. I thought of that, which is why I went and counted up the number of rushing attempts all of our running backs AND Percy have had this year thus far, and that number is 68. Detroit's running backs alone (not sure if they've done any rushes with WRs, and not going to bother checking) have had 77 rushing attempts. The Lions offense has taken more snaps than Seattle's has, (216 to 192) but 35.6% of their offensive snaps have been runs. 35.4% of Seattle's have been. The Detroit Lions are running more than the Seattle Seahawks at present.

You know its funny you say this tid bit right here in bold/underlined.. Didn't tate (besides money) leave because we were a heavy running team?

Latest posts