Penny Finally Looking Like a 1st Round Pick

OP
OP
Sac

Sac

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":3qt2b8jq said:
As the lone Penny supporter on this forum I feel fantastic.

I was a Penny supporter too, but he'd just been so snake bitten.

nategreat

Reaction score
He goin' from Rashaad Penny to Rashaad 50 Cent Piece in a day. Hopefully we see a Rashaad Dolla Bill by years' end. Corny post? Yes, yes it is. But I'm happy for the guy, it's had to have been rough the last couple years for him.

massari

Reaction score
ESPN
Seattle Seahawks not picking up fifth-year option on RB Rashaad Penny

The Seahawks chose Penny in 2018 over Nick Chubb, whom some in the organization preferred. Chubb has rushed for 3,557 yards, 28 touchdowns on 680 attempts (5.2 YPC) and has had two Pro Bowl nods for the Cleveland Browns.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
I've never agreed with people on this forum that Penny didn't have good talent. His only issue has been injury and lack of any real consistent playing time .

toffee

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":120bbcdx said:
As the lone Penny supporter on this forum I feel fantastic.

hahaha long time no see, you shall start making more frequent appearances now that Penny started producing. I guarantee you, Pete and John all felt pretty good today.

Rat

Reaction score
Penny deserved all the criticism he got before. He also deserves the praise he gets for his effort today; he looked tremendous.

Always cool to see a struggling guy kinda figure it out. I hope this game doesn't become a massive outlier.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Penny was looking good like this before he tore his ACL..
It has took almost 2 years to finally get back..
I gave up on him sure,when your not available what good
are you?That said if he plays out season like this I will
want him back.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Most would agree that he's been effective when healthy. He hasn't been worth a first round pick due to those injuries but that's a sunk cost. If some team wants to throw money at Penny based on potential then we should wish him the best of luck with his new team. However, we should absolutely retain him next season if we can get him cheaply due to his history.

All RBs get hurt and having a deep rotation of cheap RBs is the dominant strategy. We bring the best depth we can into training camp, including another draft pick and at least one UDFA. Then we expect a bunch of them to get hurt over the season and keep on preaching next man up. That's a much better strategy than heavily investing in a feature back and then being screwed when they inevitably get hurt.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Penny is an anomaly.

He's a running back who needs to be fed early and often. He starts breaking through here and there when he gets going, and it can kill an opposing defense. He's a special talent, in that regard. Those guys are truly difficult to find.

The thing is - he always gets injured right as he's coming back into the game.

He's a bellcow without bellcow durability. But god help the opponent if he finds enough durability, because he will take over the top job and he will do it well.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
We haven't had a lot to cheer about this year. Penny's good day today is like a single light on a big christmas tree. It shines bright when everything else is dark. He has shone a few flashes along the way, but he's got a lot to prove. That is very difficult to do from the sidelines. We have 2 RBs that can't seem to stay healthy. Collins has been very good, and tough, but doing something to bolster our RB roster is something we have to do.

John63

Reaction score
I agree he played well today. That said I need more than 1 good game against the worse run defense in the league to say more. We will see.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":20kd6gui said:
Penny is an anomaly.

He's a running back who needs to be fed early and often. He starts breaking through here and there when he gets going, and it can kill an opposing defense. He's a special talent, in that regard. Those guys are truly difficult to find.

He's a bellcow without bellcow durability. But god help the opponent if he finds enough durability, because he will take over the top job and he will do it well.
I wouldn't say that. Raashad Penny just isn't that great going up the gut. He hesitates and doesn't have great vision. Last week he had a decent game and when called on to do that he was running into the back of his O-Lines backs, not really seeing holes. Penny is best when he gets into space. Things like counters, draws, stretches that allow Penny to be used in space. Penny has a really weird combination of skills and a lack of some fundamental ones. He's an interesting player to say the least. I still say that he's best used as a change of pace back in a rotation.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2fnxtnm8 said:
Maelstrom787":2fnxtnm8 said:
Penny is an anomaly.

I wouldn't say that. Raashad Penny just isn't that great going up the gut. He hesitates and doesn't have great vision. Last week he had a decent game and when called on to do that he was running into the back of his O-Lines backs, not really seeing holes. Penny is best when he gets into space. Things like counters, draws, stretches that allow Penny to be used in space. Penny has a really weird combination of skills and a lack of some fundamental ones. He's an interesting player to say the least. I still say that he's best used as a change of pace back in a rotation.

See, I thought this about him too, but I thought he looked pretty good between the tackles today. His vision is another part of his anomalous nature - it's hot and cold. He has a real gift for knowing when to stop and when to go and an unteachable sense of anticipation, but he will do exactly what you said and smash into a guys back a few times per game (depending on his snap count).

I think inside runs are where he's going to end up eating the most, in a very Russell Wilson kind of way. Sure, he'll hit the hole as designed every once in a while, but the main production comes outside of the designed structure.

I think Penny does better in space when he wasn't designed to be in space. A surprise cutback vs. a designed toss, for example. But part of getting him chances to create is just feeding him chances and waiting for him to pop the top off.

Obviously, though - this is based on limited observation, as he is never friggin' available.

Latest posts