Penalties, turnovers and poor play

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Killed us yesterday. Yes Trey Lance is an embarrassing bust so it eases the pain but we need to tackle and play smarter period.double digit penalties to 1 for SF will never win a game. Need to lick our wounds and get ready for the fuhkin falcons

Scout

Reaction score
Smarter football is paramount for a team that is still finding its way IMO. Can't beat yourself up because there are many more talented teams in the league. So losing to the more talented 49ers isn't a concern but dumb mistakes is a concern IMVHO.

OP
OP
FrodosFinger

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Missed tackles bother me more than losing. I knew this team would struggle given the youth and new quarterback and system defensively but tackling is pure fundamentals and that goes to coaching and effort. The 49ers are a veteran team so the results weren’t a surprise. The lack of effort from a Pete Carroll coached team was. Need better all around

cymatica

Reaction score
SF should have had several holding penalties and interference on a fair catch for pushing a Seahawk into Lockett. Only 1 penalty is complete BS. Probably still lose, but at least it's a closer game if obvious penalties are called

Last edited:

FloridaSeahawk18

Reaction score
We got outplayed but the fact Garoppolo can underthrow Go-routes and get called for PI every time is a bit of a joke. I think it was Mike Jackson? where it happened multiple times.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
We got outplayed but the fact Garoppolo can underthrow Go-routes and get called for PI every time is a bit of a joke. I think it was Mike Jackson? where it happened multiple times.
They need to learn to really whip their heads around to find the ball. Most of them wouldn't get flagged if they made more fo an effort to late the ball. A lot of the flags come from when they're catching up after getting beat off the line. They'll get better at that as will the communication in the secondary. One big reason the LoB was so successful is because the three just knew each other so well and knew what/where the other will do/be.Diggs is the C and he's got the pedigree to mold them. It just takes time.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
That'll be the title of the Seahawk's season DVD, "The 2022 Seahawks, Penalties, Turnovers and Poor Play."

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Rookies taking their lumps, but they are also getting valuable playing time. Again, the LOB wasn't exactly dominant when they started. People need to relax a little and think about how young some of these guys are.
Agreed. This team reminds me of the 2011 Seahawks. There were some growing pains with the LOB and the whole squad in general. They really didn't get it all together until later in the year, specifically the Week 13 Thursday night game vs Philly. That game was when it felt like they had the foundation of something special.

Hopefully they have a game like that later this season to give them a foundation to build off for next year with 4 picks in the first two rounds.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Maybe.
But if the Defense is asked to play games where the offense is literally not scoring for 3+ quarters, expect more missed tackles.

At some point, the D will get frustrated. Even the great LOB, in their prime, got tired of having to shut the door for drive after drive when the offense was doing little but jockeying for field position.

My worry is that our young DBs will pick up some bad habits due to the above.

Too many reps with no reprieve and no reward is going to lead to bad habits out of exhaustion, and eventually resignation.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Maybe.
But if the Defense is asked to play games where the offense is literally not scoring for 3+ quarters, expect more missed tackles.

At some point, the D will get frustrated. Even the great LOB, in their prime, got tired of having to shut the door for drive after drive when the offense was doing little but jockeying for field position.

My worry is that our young DBs will pick up some bad habits due to the above.

Too many reps with no reprieve and no reward is going to lead to bad habits out of exhaustion, and eventually resignation.
I think that's the last thing one the young DBs minds. They're trying to prove themselves and prove the doubters wrong. They've got chips on their shoulder.

Woolen, Jackson, Bryant, etc all feel they should've been higher draft picks, and have that same fire as the young LOB with Browner and Sherman.

I could see Diggs potentially getting frustrated since he chose to re-sign here, but hopefully he steps up as a mentor to these young guys in a positive way, not as a counter voice to the coach.

OP
OP
FrodosFinger

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
This team isn’t devoid of talent but they need one more draft of hitting big on players to really set this team up for the future. I like the path they’re on just need to tackle better

toffee

Reaction score
We have one bad game, let's move and look forward to the next game. Our offense sucked at running so far, that was supposed to be our strength, need to work on that; our DTs aren't doing much in stopping the runs, need to work on that; our LBs are vulnerable in pass coverage, need to work on that too.

kidhawk

Reaction score
We have one bad game, let's move and look forward to the next game. Our offense sucked at running so far, that was supposed to be our strength, need to work on that; our DTs aren't doing much in stopping the runs, need to work on that; our LBs are vulnerable in pass coverage, need to work on that too.

Until we open our offense up a little bit, defenses are going to stack the box. Right now almost all of our plays are runs, screens and short passes. This doesn't make it difficult for defenses at all. Good defenses like the niners are going to seriously exploit it. I realize that they want to build Geno's confidence with high percentage passes, but we won't win a lot of games until we are able to successfully open up the offense.

Eamon696

Reaction score
Agreed. This team reminds me of the 2011 Seahawks. There were some growing pains with the LOB and the whole squad in general. They really didn't get it all together until later in the year, specifically the Week 13 Thursday night game vs Philly. That game was when it felt like they had the foundation of something special.

Hopefully they have a game like that later this season to give them a foundation to build off for next year with 4 picks in the first two rounds.

Excellent call. That game showed the blueprint of the era that followed, and I hope we can see something later this season as our young core settles in.
The potential is there, which is why I can't really get to bothered by the loss to San Fran yesterday. We got some budding stars in the secondary and on the O-Line. If we can get another stud pass rusher to pair with Uchenna Nwosu (hopefully D Taylor can become that), and our QB of the future - the nucleus for the future is there.

Latest posts