Paul Sewald Traded........

bileever

Reaction score
I think the main player in this deal for the Mariners is Dominic Canzone. He was tearing up the PCL this year, hitting .354 with 16 HRs and 71 RBIs. He had an OPS of 1.064. His left-handed bat is probably intended to replace Jared Kelenic's.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Trading your closer, who has an ERA under 3 is NOT making the team better. Playing maybe their best ball of the year right now.........feels like a give up. Canzone better pan out.
Plus, what is the message you are sending to the rest of the team? Here's a quote from Cal Raleigh on the following -

"Something's going to happen, we just don't know what it is. It's out of our control. We want to be in this thing. We don't want to be giving anybody away. We want to be adding, not subtracting."

A link to the full article - https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ml...inds-made-up-sellers-cash-in-more/ar-AA1eyQsb

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I like the move..The M's do not deserve the playoffs anyway and I said they
were going to be selling.
The interesting piece of this deal is the 2nd round pick..The 5:6 guy who won't be
up this year but he has interesting numbers for a little man..I hope this deal gets rid
of Wong finally.

Crizilla

Reaction score
I'm in between on this. I'm not sold on Munoz being our closer yet. Sewald was decent and brought energy to the team. Wait and see.

Rojas has awful stats. He most likely won't be the answer at 2nd base. Drafted by HOU in 2017 but then traded. The other 2 dudes will make or break this trade.

Last edited:

Chapow

Reaction score
Brilliant move. Get rid of one of your best high leverage relievers and also don't improve any area of your team at the same time. We already have a roster full of poor to mediocre hitters at the big league level. We really don't need any more.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Sounds like the M's are on a verge of another trade. This time with the Phillies - https://www.si.com/mlb/phillies/new...nked-seattle-mariners-blockbuster-trade-brad9. Could be Hernandez or France for minor league players.

They traded AJ Pollock and Mark Mathias to the Giants for cash considerations or a player to be named later. https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1762604/seattle-mariners-trade-aj-pollock-to-giants/. Surprised anyone wanted Pollock.

Since he has traded one of his offseason signings and may be on the verge of trading another one, can we say DiPoto's efforts this offseason have been nothing less than a disaster?

This reeks of the season when he got rid of Nelson Cruz at the All-Star break. That turned out horrific as Cruz had some productive years in DC and Minnesota (I believe that's where he ended up).

NoGain

Reaction score
Obviously the Mariners are sellers. You don't trade your top reliever for some maybes if you're serious about remaining contenders for something this year.

Which is fine by me. We don't have it this year, and are short on bats now and looking ahead. I would have rather we obtained one high ranking prospect for Sewald rather than the mish-mash of apparent mediocrity we got back. But I'm just going by what I read from rankings and scouting reports.

The ownership and general management of this club is not to be trusted. They've got to prove it.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I’m fine selling, but looks like we didn’t get a whole lot in return. A bunch of fringe major league guys that Will go between triple A and the big leagues.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
I’m fine selling, but looks like we didn’t get a whole lot in return. A bunch of fringe major league guys that Will go between triple A and the big leagues.
Canzone could be really good. Batted 5th for AZ. Rojas was decent but sub par this yr

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Obviously the Mariners are sellers. You don't trade your top reliever for some maybes if you're serious about remaining contenders for something this year.

Which is fine by me. We don't have it this year, and are short on bats now and looking ahead. I would have rather we obtained one high ranking prospect for Sewald rather than the mish-mash of apparent mediocrity we got back. But I'm just going by what I read from rankings and scouting reports.

The ownership and general management of this club is not to be trusted. They've got to prove it.
Az in playoff race too and traded Canzone who batted 5th for em lately.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Sounds like the M's are on a verge of another trade. This time with the Phillies - https://www.si.com/mlb/phillies/new...nked-seattle-mariners-blockbuster-trade-brad9. Could be Hernandez or France for minor league players.

They traded AJ Pollock and Mark Mathias to the Giants for cash considerations or a player to be named later. https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1762604/seattle-mariners-trade-aj-pollock-to-giants/. Surprised anyone wanted Pollock.

Since he has traded one of his offseason signings and may be on the verge of trading another one, can we say DiPoto's efforts this offseason have been nothing less than a disaster?

This reeks of the season when he got rid of Nelson Cruz at the All-Star break. That turned out horrific as Cruz had some productive years in DC and Minnesota (I believe that's where he ended up).
WHen did he trade Nelson Cruz at All star Break? I do not recall that at all. You mean Graveman?

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Brilliant move. Get rid of one of your best high leverage relievers and also don't improve any area of your team at the same time. We already have a roster full of poor to mediocre hitters at the big league level. We really don't need any more.

They all look great in Triple AAA/minors but unfortunately it doesn't translate to the majors for many of them. Hopefully Canzone is different.
Canzone has been up in MLB for 15 games. His xwoba would rank 2nd on the Ms. I think he may be fine.