Pass Rush

getnasty

Reaction score
Where is it? Not sure how many sacks we have on the year but outside of the first half against the Packers it just hasn't been that great. I would think with our corners being as good as they are we would be able to send more blitzes. The lack pass rush is whats killing us on 3rd down, even Tim Tebow could make plays if he has time.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I have no idea why our D line is so mediocre away from the Clink. I understand crowd noise = extra half step to the QB, but it's ridiculous that a defense that's supposedly as good as Seattle needs to send extra blitzers for most of the game on passing downs just to put a little pressure on the QB.

It doesn't help that Bradley and Carroll continue to run the same one safety high scheme OVER AND OVER AND OVER. For the love of Christ, mix it up. I know what they're thinking "oh, we trust our D, they're good enough to just play base Defense with man on man on the outside and zone in the middle." But hey Gus, once the 4th quarter rolls around and your D has given up like four leads and 15 3rd down conversions........how bout changing something?

Shane Falco

Reaction score
I am not seeing an improvement over last year with our pass rush. And that is the most disappointing aspect of the team for me so far this season. It was focused on, addressed and expected to be a big improvement this year. Really seems like the same ol', same ol' to me.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Shane Falco":llntsuy2 said:
I am not seeing an improvement over last year with our pass rush. And that is the most disappointing aspect of the team for me so far this season. It was focused on, addressed and expected to be a big improvement this year. Really seems like the same ol', same ol' to me.

Irvin's a project, so he's gonna take time to become a dependable consistent pass rusher like Clemons. Bruce has had flashes, but most of the time this year he's been shut down.......which is why Thomas has had to come down and blitz.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
Not naming names, not counting sacks only but hurries and just applying pressure and being disruptive also.... Offhand, without looking up stats and to my naked eye, It seems like the defense is below league average applying pressure.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
This is my theory and I have typed it three times today so you may have already tired of reading it. Our primary pressure guys, Clemons and Irvin, are basic "speed and spin" guys. This works at home with our raucous crowd negating the advantage of the snap count. But without any power moves to complement their speed, these guys get consumed by average or better blockers most of the time. In addition, in crunch time they do not possess an overpowering move and are vulnerable to being held.

pehawk

Reaction score
hawksfan515":1z5fep7e said:
NJHawksFan":1z5fep7e said:
Bruce Irvin is a scrub, sorry.

I disagree.

Maybe scrub was harsh, but yeah, he's worrying me again.

We have speed rushers, like the Colts did with Manning. Dungy brilliantly drafted Freeny to attack based on the dome and Payton getting them ahead. Not sure how that's germane, but it adds to BFS point.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Bruce will get better. It will take him a year or so to learn to win more battles at the NFL level. You see this all the time with rookie defensive linemen.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1vf5i1k3 said:
Bruce will get better. It will take him a year or so to learn to win more battles at the NFL level. You see this all the time with rookie defensive linemen.

You chillin' bro?

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
bestfightstory":37e0djzf said:
Tech Worlds":37e0djzf said:

You chillin' bro?

Bruce and I are both chillin'.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
JJ being out is the primary reason our pass rush has disappeared. He didn't get the sacks, but he disrupted things so much it allowed the others to penetrate.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
It's the lack of an interior pass rush that really hurts. The whole idea is to collapse the pocket inside and force the QB to bail into one of our speed edge guys.

In that regard, not having Jones in the line up is huge.