our offensive line play

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Nice synopsis, Seatown.

Britt has absolutely been rushed. Shoulda resigned Giacomini on a 1 year deal, let Britt get a few more reps as the season went on...but obviously the trial by fire route is going to have to work for know. He has been up against some of the better speed rush ends in the league...

chris98251

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":4rq3uo3y said:
Nice synopsis, Seatown.

Britt has absolutely been rushed. Shoulda resigned Giacomini on a 1 year deal, let Britt get a few more reps as the season went on...but obviously the trial by fire route is going to have to work for know. He has been up against some of the better speed rush ends in the league...

Bowie was the plan, until he decided to eat his way out of the position.Britt will be fine, look at who he lined up against, Breno would have got ate alive, his drop step was one of the worst. Great mentality, good run blocker, but less than Britt as a pass blocker.

OP
OP
seatownlowdown

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":15o9oas2 said:
Nice synopsis, Seatown.

thanks.

in summation, i just believe our offensive potential to be an out-of-this world, unstoppable juggernaut... if our tackles simply become average+ at pass blocking from here on out. that is the missing piece in my eyes.

and thats given what we've already witnessed thus far: bevells understanding of our talent and unleashed creativity, wilsons improvement, the already dramatic interior oline improvement, a healthy, dynamic percy, beastmode, a dose of cmike, hausch$, and our underrated receiving weapons.

and we've already seen flashes, havent we? :D

peppersjap

Reaction score
I think Britt is going to be very good, a few struggles early but he is a beast (love seeing linemen who aren't big fatties). I don't think anyone planned on him starting this early, he has represented pretty well and Sweezy has been one of the best stories I have seen about just how smart Schneider (and Carroll are). I also hope some of the Okung injury prone people show him a little respect for getting his butt back on the field in the 2nd half.......loved seeing him run out of the locker room!

Scottemojo

Reaction score
First, love that picture. Denver linebackers are so used to Pot Roast not being movable that they cheated on outside zones. Seattle goes strength on strength for the win.

Second, before we excoriate the line for bad pass blocking, I see it mentioned that Wilson was under duress 20 times, if we remove from that 20 times bootleg rollouts, play actions that were well covered, and the times Wilson held the ball, I bet that number is a lot closer to 5. Seriously, Wilson held the ball a looooong time.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Scottemojo":145xyrwz said:
First, love that picture. Denver linebackers are so used to Pot Roast not being movable that they cheated on outside zones. Seattle goes strength on strength for the win.

Second, before we excoriate the line for bad pass blocking, I see it mentioned that Wilson was under duress 20 times, if we remove from that 20 times bootleg rollouts, play actions that were well covered, and the times Wilson held the ball, I bet that number is a lot closer to 5. Seriously, Wilson held the ball a looooong time.
He had to bootleg roll out or he would have been killed sitting back there.

Imo the only way to keep him upright is to roll him out. Having him sit in the pocket is going to end his and our season.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
If we continue to see the progression from Britt that we have seen from Sweezy, I will sleep well at night. The kid has done everything asked of him thus far and yes he is still making rookie mistakes here and there but this Offensive line thus far is much more cohesive than the revolving door OL we had early last year. Chalk a little of that up to Health, But Sweezy and Carpenter have both really impressed me with their improvement this year. Hopefully Okung gets healthier and stops all the false starts.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Melencause":17zuyhza said:
Bailey actually looked pretty good when Okung was out.

This, this, this!!!
I was actually a little bummed when Okung came back in.

kearly

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1ar1cybl said:

Depends on what the opponent's game plan is. The smarter teams go man coverage with a spy, then auto-blitz that spy when Wilson bootlegs. There's nobody to block that blitzer so it's instant pressure and very often forces a throwaway. Seattle still hasn't really figured out a way to counter that, so they've instead chosen to make Wilson more of a pocket passer this year.

NorCalSeahawk

Reaction score
The O-line looks better then last season (at least the inside three do to me). Carpenter, Sweezy and Unger, all three look stronger and more on point this year. Okung looks like he took a big step back, I can only guess that his injuries are still lingering and he may not get back to his Pro Bowl form if he's having foot and chest problems still lingering. Also, as much as I like Britt, he's still a young rookie who will make mistakes, but in a year or two I think most will be happy he is at RT over Breno, he seems to be getting better each week.

I just hope no one misses any more than a game this season so the starting five can get some consistency together, I think that would help more than anything in pass blocking.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Is anyone else concerned that Unger's snaps seem just as wayward as last year?

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
kearly":sk1ef1lw said:
Tech Worlds":sk1ef1lw said:

Depends on what the opponent's game plan is. The smarter teams go man coverage with a spy, then auto-blitz that spy when Wilson bootlegs. There's nobody to block that blitzer so it's instant pressure and very often forces a throwaway. Seattle still hasn't really figured out a way to counter that, so they've instead chosen to make Wilson more of a pocket passer this year.
Then that's got to leave single man coverage on several of our WRs a lot of the time. In that case, they've simply got to start doing a better job of getting open. Where have we heard that before? Answer: last season though I think that's getting better so far this year. Room for plenty of improvement though.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Maybe I am the only one who is really happy with how our O-line looks compared to what I expected. Admittedly, the pass protection stats are about what I expected, there is a lot of room for improvement, and I would be happy to switch with Denver or Philly, but AS A UNIT, this line is showing signs that, before the end of the year, it is going to be much better than I expected. They are already giving us better run blocking than I expected. No, I don't think they will be a top ten unit, but if they stay healthy I wouldn't be surprised to see them in the top 50%, maybe just outside the top ten.

There are some rookie mistakes from Britt, and a lot of rust on Okung, but I expect these issues to get better throughout the year. To me, it looks like these guys are really starting to do exactly what Cable is scheming. Generally, they are playing disciplined and the unit is showing flashes of absolute brilliant blocking.

My frustrations with last year's line were that they looked to be playing more as individuals and less as a unit. That is especially problematic in a ZBS. With all the injuries and issues last year, I suppose that was to be expected.

I think that, barring injuries, the O-line play will be a major upgrade for this team by the latter third of the season, and I expect our offense to open up more and more of the long game as the season progresses and the line gels.

- bsd

Largent80

Reaction score
The middle of the line is pretty good right now. Seeing Sweezy mauling that fat ass for the win was a thing of beauty.

kearly

Reaction score
AgentDib":2i9u1rh5 said:
I know the "under duress" stat is always going to be debatable when it comes Wilson and I certainly agree with you that our first three games has been against many of the best pass rushers in the NFL. I still think this is an important issue today and it will become the dominant issue several years from now when Wilson is a bit older and has a hefty contract. We can certainly win games and even championships with this year's offensive line but at some point this strategy is like picking up pennies off of railroad tracks. The train only has to hit you once for there to be a lot of hindsight-laden regrets.

Citing pressures needs to be put in context of the volume of pass attempts. Wilson had something like 43 total called pass plays (pass attempts + sacks + scrambles). It's a lot higher of a number than he had on average the past couple years.

Seattle's adjusted sack rate in three games is 6.8%, which is a big improvement over last year (9.7%).

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":2kanwcan said:
Scottemojo":2kanwcan said:

Imo the only way to keep him upright is to roll him out. Having him sit in the pocket is going to end his and our season.
Dunno, I saw Miller sitting on the bootlegs. He was in Wilson's lap more than once on a bootleg.

kearly

Reaction score
That unstoppable looking play to Harvin that Seattle ran over and over, wasn't that on a bootleg? Maybe that's going to be Seattle's bootleg blitz beater.