origin of "Legion of Boom" debated on Kiro 710

Jac

Reaction score
I thought it was here as well. Throughout history, there have been threads here trying to name units, the defense, etc. (even in bad times). I was actually really surprised that this one caught on because they never do.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Bob & Groz had Kam on the afternoon show and according to Kam Chancellor:

The name originated from Kam saying he'd lost some weight and part of the reasoning was that he wanted to be able to "bring that boom". A listener then tweeted "Legion of Boom". Kam and the others liked it so they ran w/ it.

Veilside

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":3gtu5s2e said:
Veilside":3gtu5s2e said:
ZLDRider":3gtu5s2e said:
Yes, they mentioned this but, I think that the caller who suggested "Legion of Boom" was actually a member of .Net here and it had been discussed here before that.

I remember someone posting an old video of "The Legion of Doom" from an old "Justice League" cartoon saying that was where he got the idea from coupled with the word "Boom".

-The Glove-":3gtu5s2e said:
I remember seeing it on .Net first

I remember this too. I thought it originated on .Net.

You personally seeing it on .Net first doesnt mean it originated here... unless your everywhere at every moment.

Well if I remember correctly, the news about Kam mentioning that he liked it on twitter came after that thread was already rolling on here. Who knows though. Be nice if someone could dig that thread up to see for sure.

CDAseahawk

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it's a play on "Legion of Doom" which I thought referred to the old school WWF wrestling tag team that wore those football shoulder pads with spikes and what not. One of them is James Laurinaitis' dad. No idea who started it though.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Who cares.

We have a defense with a name. The Seattle Seahawks have a defense. With a nickname.

DJrmb

Reaction score
I remember when this was first brought up on 710 at least. I can't say that it wasn't anywhere else (like on this forum) for certain but I don't remember it being anywhere else yet. I will try to go back into their archives and find the main "episode" in reference to this but here is how I remember things:

First a couple of the shows had been tossing around nicknames for the Seattle DB's and Bob & Groz decided to do a segment and ask fans to send in some names. They got a bunch of suggestions but the one that seemed to stick was "Temple of Boom". They kind of all agreed on that but it seemed something was kind of missing. Then After an interview with Chancellor later that day (the one where Kam talked about wanting to bring the "Boom"), they continued to read off texts of suggestions and finally near the end of the show one text came in for "Legion of Boom" which Bob read and they Groz really liked.

http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_player_sports/?a=9944700&p=1014&n= (27 minutes in is where "Legion of Boom" is first mentioned)

Then the next day (August 3rd, 2012) they interviewed Brandon Browner and asked him which he preferred "Temple of Boom" or "Legion of Boom". Browner chose "Legion of Boom" because it sounded "more ferocious".

http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_player_sports/?a=9944746&p=1014&n= (Legion of Boom chosen at about 55 seconds in)

So unless anyone can find something earlier than August 2nd, 2012 then I think it's only fair to say Bob and Groz coined the nickname "Legion of Boom". If not then they at least had a big part to do with getting it popularized. I for one hope that someone can dig up an old thread on here before then so we can lay claim but I haven't been able to find any yet.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
It's about time bob and groz could lay claim to something other than being an in sufferably uninformed cowboys fan that makes me want to vomit all over the place, and a jerky pessimistic nobody that doesn't really seem to actually understand any sport let alone football.

bellyfat

Reaction score
It is a play on words "Legion of Doom". This was early in the season last year Kam Chancellor held a contest on Twitter for fans to come up with a nickname. Bob on Groz had a segment on that tweet and had callers chime in. People were saying Bam Squad and other crazy stuff and Bob said Legion of Boom. Fans tweeted that to Kam and he liked it the best.

PGunning101

Reaction score
Yeah, it was definitely Bob and Groz going off fan suggestions.

And I was the one who posted the old Justice League "Legion of Doom" video with alternate narration for the secondary members, but that was after the Bob & Groz broadcast.

Case closed.

OP
OP
ZLDRider

ZLDRider

Reaction score
Thanks PG. Your post was the first time I heard/read it.

That's probably why I thought it originated from here. Who knows, maybe the fan that called it in was from here too. :mrgreen:

PGunning101":2tuh6nff said:
Yeah, it was definitely Bob and Groz going off fan suggestions.

And I was the one who posted the old Justice League "Legion of Doom" video with alternate narration for the secondary members, but that was after the Bob & Groz broadcast.

Case closed.

Kbar03

Reaction score
Here's the origin. I texted in "Legion of Boom" into 710 ESPN August 2 after an interview with Kam Chancellor. In the interview he was talking about keeping his weight down but still being able "to bring that boom." Since then a lot of people have tried to claim credit for the nickname..here's the picture from my phone of the text into Bob and Gros on 710..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 1,607
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 1,607

nategreat

Reaction score
Thanks Kbar03! How does it feel to be famous?

In anniversary-like fashion, I think you should give a nickname to the entire defense as well, to shut up everyone else in that other thread :D

Kbar03

Reaction score
I'm just proud of my Hawks man...Nickname for the whole D..That's a tall order. Off the top of my head.."Rain City Wrecking Crew". I'll see what else I can come up with. Go Hawks!

razgriz737

Reaction score
Kbar03":2ow9ikzo said:
I'm just proud of my Hawks man...Nickname for the whole D..That's a tall order. Off the top of my head.."Rain City Wrecking Crew". I'll see what else I can come up with. Go Hawks!
You seem to have a knack for this, because that's already better than anything anyone came up with in the other nickname thread.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Kbar03":vsr79dnn said:

That's a great job on the nickname for the Legion of Boom. It fits so perfectly.

Latest posts