Okay, so what exactly is considered holding in the NFL?

Hawkpower

Reaction score
That holding indeed happens on nearly every play is hardly hyperbole.

And refs do very much choose to throw flags when it either is egregious or impactful usually.

That they CHOSE to drop flags at back breaking times like 4 times in a row is nothing short of suspicious.

Most refs at least have...in the back of their mind....the thought that gee.....we've wiped out the last 3 key first downs with this subjective penalty....should I really do it again here?

and they did. Over and over. All the while glancing at the sky while the niners tackled our d lineman.

Maddening

Hollandhawk

Reaction score
johnnyfever":1eftfpv6 said:
BChawkfan":1eftfpv6 said:
Obvious steerig the game by the refs. Most of the penalties were called on third down which in effect kill the drive.

The holding calls were legit, regardless of what down they were. Its the F'ing stupid OL goons that can't get it through their damn skulls not to friggin hold!

I say run the OL guys that hold until they collapse and puke every day at practice. Eventually they will catch on. How many years must we watch our team lose due to holding penalties. So. Sick. Of. It!

They hold because it gets missed a lot. It’s that simple.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
johnnyfever":3cheuai2 said:
BChawkfan":3cheuai2 said:
Obvious steerig the game by the refs. Most of the penalties were called on third down which in effect kill the drive.

The holding calls were legit, regardless of what down they were. Its the F'ing stupid OL goons that can't get it through their damn skulls not to friggin hold!

I say run the OL guys that hold until they collapse and puke every day at practice. Eventually they will catch on. How many years must we watch our team lose due to holding penalties. So. Sick. Of. It!

And yet we’ve never had a game with 6 holding calls all season and the last two games we averaged one holding call against just as aggressive D lines. The only real difference was the refs and there judgement.

I listened to the game and Dave Wyman was apoplectic about the legitimacy of the holding calls. He said that degree of holding happens on every play and linemen are used to it.

You could argue that Super Bowl XL was also called legitimately but I think everyone but the most ardent Steelers fan recognizes when one team is getting shafted by ticky tack penalties.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Few things:

1. Road teams generally get more questionable calls on them. That's fairly uniform throughout the league. Not many. But there is a small inflation of non procedural (LOS violations) calls against visiting clubs.

2. Holds happen virtually every down. Some teams (Seattle does for sure) work under the assumption that refs will intentionally not call every one they see when they see it all the time. It's the cheating version of the big lie. If you lie big enough and often enough, then impact of consistent lies is lessened.

3. Most holds that get flagged are ones where a clear advantage is gained. In the SF game, the holds you saw were all at the point of attack. Where it was stupid obvious that SF was going to be in position to tackle for no gain/loss and we held them, allowing us to make sizeable gains. If you remember way back to when we had Robert Turbin. He probably lost 60% of his potential career yardage for Seattle due to holds on his runs he broke to the outside. Every single one of those holds were legit, and all at the critical point/player who could have made a play.

That's not to say all holds at the POA get called. They certainly don't. But they naturally are because the ball carrier is in the immediate vicinity and one or more refs' focus is going to trail the ball carrier by design and training. More eyes means more chance one will subjectively consider a violation.

On the Griffin/Pettis DPI call, I saw it as possible either way. I think the play was mostly clean. But Griffin's problem was that his right arm was in contact with Pettis' waist. I didn't see Griffin obviously turn Pettis -- however a defender who works around a receiver to play the ball absolutely is going to get flagged if the referee behind the play sees his off arm wrapped around the waist. It's a call that happens 9 times out of 10. Griffin didn't need to wrap his arm to make the play and I don't think it ultimately helped him to make it. But doing so almost assured a DPI call if a ref was in position to see it.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
If you play for the Seahawks, holding is pretty much looking at a guy. If you play for the opponent....pretty much gets ignored, often.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3vhcpyx0 said:
If you play for the Seahawks, holding is pretty much looking at a guy. If you play for the opponent....pretty much gets ignored, often.

And I thought it was the GLARE...the light glare does not get called, the Medium Glare is called when on their field and their team is losing...and the Hard Glare is called when needed at any point in time. I am gonna have to reassess my opinion on the holding the glare call. :mrgreen:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":dsvjkz5r said:
Few things:

1. Road teams generally get more questionable calls on them. That's fairly uniform throughout the league. Not many. But there is a small inflation of non procedural (LOS violations) calls against visiting clubs.

2. Holds happen virtually every down. Some teams (Seattle does for sure) work under the assumption that refs will intentionally not call every one they see when they see it all the time. It's the cheating version of the big lie. If you lie big enough and often enough, then impact of consistent lies is lessened.

3. Most holds that get flagged are ones where a clear advantage is gained. In the SF game, the holds you saw were all at the point of attack. Where it was stupid obvious that SF was going to be in position to tackle for no gain/loss and we held them, allowing us to make sizeable gains. If you remember way back to when we had Robert Turbin. He probably lost 60% of his potential career yardage for Seattle due to holds on his runs he broke to the outside. Every single one of those holds were legit, and all at the critical point/player who could have made a play.

That's not to say all holds at the POA get called. They certainly don't. But they naturally are because the ball carrier is in the immediate vicinity and one or more refs' focus is going to trail the ball carrier by design and training. More eyes means more chance one will subjectively consider a violation.

On the Griffin/Pettis DPI call, I saw it as possible either way. I think the play was mostly clean. But Griffin's problem was that his right arm was in contact with Pettis' waist. I didn't see Griffin obviously turn Pettis -- however a defender who works around a receiver to play the ball absolutely is going to get flagged if the referee behind the play sees his off arm wrapped around the waist. It's a call that happens 9 times out of 10. Griffin didn't need to wrap his arm to make the play and I don't think it ultimately helped him to make it. But doing so almost assured a DPI call if a ref was in position to see it.

Logical AND reasonable response? Are you sure you're a .Net member?

The league and officials are very clear on what they determine each and every penalty to be, and spend the entire off season each year fine tuning and changing rules that are vague or the owners and players consider problem calls.

Like the catch rule, and that was changed and now it's far more clear language as to what's a catch.

Now do the refs miss stuff, or call ticky tack holding and PI? Absolutely, and I bitched about it yesterday. IMO what needs to be enforced is some sort of "hey understand the play and the moment in the game, and don't call things so black and white with no regard for what's going on."

Mullen's throws up a prayer on 3rd and long cause he's about to get destroyed by Reed and PI is called on Griffin on a 50/50 call at best at a crucial time of the game? So unless it's egregious holding or PI, you swallow the whistle because you're ruining the game for all involved.

Use discretion, no one wants games decided by ticky tack penalties.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I miss the days of them just letting them play a little. If a WR and a Corner/Safety etc. are hand fighting back and forth, let them battle for it. And more importantly, be a little less ticky tack in the 4th quarter and OT of these games. Example, the end of the Vikes game, back to back battles between Griffin and Diggs. They were all over each other, but the refs let them battle it out. Shoot, they even helped each other up and gave props. Just two guys battling it on the field.

ivotuk

Reaction score
My biggest problem with holding is that it is a 10 yard penalty. It absolutely destroys a drive, and an incompetent referee can have an effect on the outcome of the game.

Every offensive lineman is different, they have different builds, different arm lengths, different hand sizes, and different techniques. So as a judgement call, it can be called unevenly, based on so many variabilities.

I think this is why New England's offensive lines are so good, because their line coach is so good at teaching. Solari is good, but I think the Patriot's OLine coach may be the best in the league.