Offense Solutions?

nash72

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":1ybryqf3 said:
Disagree with the Michaels comment (that was one freaking play and he's on pace for a 1000 yd season despite everything going on) but agree that if/once we get healthy they should get very good.

Getting Willson back will be big too.

Michaels has made it a habit of running out of bounds and not fighting for 1st downs all season long. Its hardly been one play.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
nash72":u7h0qi47 said:
LeftHandSmoke":u7h0qi47 said:
Disagree with the Michaels comment (that was one freaking play and he's on pace for a 1000 yd season despite everything going on) but agree that if/once we get healthy they should get very good.

Getting Willson back will be big too.

Michaels has made it a habit of running out of bounds and not fighting for 1st downs all season long. Its hardly been one play.

I seem to recall in the Saints game he had a wide open gap and sliced through the middle, at full speed no one could touch him and he could've streaked for a 30+ yard touchdown, but instead he got like eight yards because he fell forward. Dude has terrible balance or doesn't like the possible risk of getting hit maybe, in which case he's not all that useful.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":12olaan6 said:
Maybe we can have OC Bevell call plays while watching from the press box where he can get a better view of the game.
Better view may improve playcalling and lend to quicker decisions/adjustments.

Maybe we could have him watch plays from home. I'm pretty sure he's responsible for everything from our terribly-designed offense to world hunger, wars, and pestilence.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
GeekHawk":2jciig9u said:
Russ Willstrong":2jciig9u said:
Maybe we can have OC Bevell call plays while watching from the press box where he can get a better view of the game.
Better view may improve playcalling and lend to quicker decisions/adjustments.

Maybe we could have him watch plays from home. I'm pretty sure he's responsible for everything from our terribly-designed offense to world hunger, wars, and pestilence.

I heard Bevell's playcall sheet during games actually has his fantasy football roster on it. He's just trying to get the most points he can get guys. Cameron Jordan was on his defense.

Fade

Reaction score
There are million things wrong with the offense. I will say that if they do 1 thing going forward, everything will become easier.

More variety in the run game. 80% of Seattle's runs are inside zones whether Russ is in the gun, or under center. They could get away with it in the past, because Russell sometimes would keep the ball, and that threat would keep teams honest, he can't right now. So they have instead abandoned the run game entirely.

Would it kill them to run a power, a counter, a jet sweep, a wide zone / stretch, a toss, etc. They need more variety consistently in their run game, they are too easy to gameplan against right now.

hawk45

Reaction score
I don't see how the offense improves if the OL doesn't improve. So far this season they haven't been able to run block, and since CM can't drag defenders behind him like Lynch could, and Russ can't threaten read option to make run defenders hesitant, we have no run game. I'd love to see the line start to run block more effectively just as Russell's mobility begins to return a bit, and of course it'd be nice if the tackles weren't sieves or Russell's mobility will get knocked right back down again.

So far this year I haven't really had a game where I thought Bevell was culpable. Except perhaps that one series where CMike had rattled off 3 big runs in a row and Bevell killed the drive by having Russ hand it off twice to Alex Collins. The rest of the games I've watched the OL kill drive after drive with a false start or hold or run stuffed in the backfield and shook my head and said to myself how is the rest of the offense and the OC supposed to overcome that? I have actually felt Bevell has been calling quick-hitting passes which is his only option, and this is supported by Russ getting the ball out more quickly this year. He can't get the ball out quickly with a bunch of go-routes, so kudos Bevell.

When Bevell has abandoned the run this year I've felt that he was 100% correct to do so at the moment he did it. Last week, only getting a handful of plays on offense in the first half, when 3 runs got stuffed he said eff it and IMO that's just what he should have done. He was trying to get a first down for the sake of the poor D, and knew that 2nd and 3rd and long with the tackles we have out there we may as well just punt on 3rd. You're not "wearing down the defense" when you just run your back into a brick wall, unless your back is Marshawn Lynch. Wearing down the D happens when the OL is getting some push, not when they are getting pushed back into the backfield at the point of attack as happened on our runs in the first half last week. 2nd half they started blocking a little so Bevell ran it a little. Appropriate.

I see the OL improving to where it can function against poor defenses, probably getting us into the playoffs where we meet a good DL and get sent home. I pretty much see that every season at this point. I'm encouraged they drafted Ifedi and the middle of the line seems solid, but they seem to have no idea, none, zero, zilch what makes an OT or where to get one. To this team, a tackle is just a guy you draft to move inside to guard when he sucks because guard is the most fungible position in the league. We throw the SPARQ heroes at OT when that has yet to really work at a single position on the line except Sweezy who was still a suspect pass blocker when he was "good".

nash72

Reaction score
hawk45":21f97983 said:
Last week, only getting a handful of plays on offense in the first half, when 3 runs got stuffed he said eff it and IMO that's just what he should have done.

The beginning of the 2nd half we were being successful with the run and he abandoned it shortly after for no apparent reason. I'll never understand that.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Id like to see some jumbo sets, 3 TEs. Force teams to stay out of nickel then use Graham and Baldwin to try to get on top of a safety with play action. Pound that ball out of jumbo, not read option/shotgun/misdirection bullshit when Russ cant run.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
The first thing I would like addressed is how fast the Bevell gets the plays into Russell Wilson. It seems like it takes forever for him to get the play call in, then we end up with minimal amount of time to adjust the play, and it just kills the tempo. High powered offenses thrive on a fast paced tempo, and being able to adjust at the LOS when needed. We don't have that, and it has always been a problem with this offense. Wilson also seems to be able to play better in this scenario.

More under the center plays. Wilson is not a threat to run, nor is faking the read option viable. Nobody has bought what we're selling this year. I'd like the completely scrap the read option until Wilson is completely healthy. We're fooling absolutely nobody with this crap. Instead of running from the shotgun, it would be better to run from the I-formation, and perhaps get the fullback more involved in the running game.

Use Jimmy Graham more like a wide receiver. In NO he played half of his snaps at wide receiver, half at TE. With Baldwin and Locket at less than 100 percent we should be leaning more on our multi-million dollar, probowl TE to make plays for us. It kills me how in some games we act like he doesn't exist. He should be in on almost every play, I see him on the sideline way too much for my liking.

More two TE sets to help our struggling tackles, or even just more chip blocks would be helpful. Haven't been seeing a whole lot of that this season, despite our poor tackle play on both sides.

keatonisballin

Reaction score
On top of of everything that has been said, some accountability by the O line would be nice. The whole coaching staff bragging about the lack of sacks. Hey idiots, a holding penalty is just as detrimental to a drive as a sack. Russ doesn't get hit but the overall result is the same. Ten yards lost and a drive killed. When are we going to hold the offensive coaching accountable to the same level as the rest of the team? Bevell and Cable are trash.

Reaction score
nanomoz":ovraltgb said:
Id like to see some jumbo sets, 3 TEs. Force teams to stay out of nickel then use Graham and Baldwin to try to get on top of a safety with play action. Pound that ball out of jumbo, not read option/shotgun/misdirection bullshit when Russ cant run.
On Tuesday, I will vote for this!

Go Hawks,
BillA

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":38dgo1of said:
It doesn't have to be hurry up.

I also think we need to go more up tempo, more like the 4 minute offense. IMO Russell's a BIGTIME confidence tempo rhythm QB, and right now he's overthinking everything because he's having to compensate for his injuries.

That's why he's taking the play clock down to zero seemingly every play trying to get the perfect protection and checking to the perfect play. It's creating him to hesitate, doubt and it's throwing off the rhythm and tempo of the offense.

I say get to the line and go! Enough already with the painful running down of the play clock allowing the defense to jump around and mess with Russell causing even more doubt.

This ^^, I think Wilson needs to dictate the tempo, and take the control away from the opposing Defenses.
It's not like he hasn't been able to shift the pressure back on the good opposing Defenses, the game against the Steelers last Season for example.

soohawk

Reaction score
Russell has a bad habit of feeling pressure and then turning backwards a few yards to try and shake it. This season he is not mobile enough to avoid the defender and we are loosing extra yardage. Instead of a 5 yard sack, its a 12 yard sack. That is something he has been successful with in the past, and has also been an Achilles heel in my opinion because when it works once he tries it 3-4 more times unsuccessfully. That being said, when he does it with success the play downfield or underneath is usually a very nice pickup.

It's a health thing for russ right now and he needs a better showing from his support cast/protection but they are all trying to find their way with the new paradigm of our offense with a non mobile qb. The line doesn't get the extra cushion of russ scrambling out of trouble, running game is stagnant and the receivers are not getting the timing routes due to qb pressure as well as not getting the benefit of mobile qb scrambling into sandlot plays that our offense seems to dearly depend upon.

It's been a tough stretch but its going to improve as we get into a healthier stretch or we need to ratchet up the intensity due to necessity. As they say, necessity is the mother of all invention!

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":3j8s8hk2 said:
Doing the hurry up offense could lead to even MORE time on the field for the Defense. This has been egregious the last two weeks. If anything we should slow things down and plan plays out better. Having Russell get the ball out quicker (which he has already improved greatly here) or running more designed roll outs would help but I am not much of an X or O guy to help out here.
Yes but you just touched on our he major problem with our offense and the reason it looks as it does. Pete is a defensive coach and in his game plan the number one goal of the offense is not to hurt the defense. Scoring points in not a priority. This is why Bevel is still around and why players like Baldwin actually defend him. He is asked to call the game Pete's way and rarely goes off script. It only makes matters worse that we will save money on the offensive line starters so that we can have more depth on the other side of the ball.
Also for the record.... Russell has been getting the ball out in 2.4 seconds and is still hit on almost half his drop backs.

Schadie001

Reaction score
RussB":3l8lsb70 said:
They need to establish a run game.

This and if you can't establish traditional run, establish New England style run (west coast) shot passing game w/ 4-5 yard receptions. Quick short passes are just like a good running game and keep Wilson off the turf.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Schadie001":1sfkl4du said:
RussB":1sfkl4du said:
They need to establish a run game.

This and if you can't establish traditional run, establish New England style run (west coast) shot passing game w/ 4-5 yard receptions. Quick short passes are just like a good running game and keep Wilson off the turf.
Right. Procise could get some shots at exactly this.

Latest posts