Off Season Winners and Seahawks

nanomoz

Reaction score
These lists are often loaded with bottom dwellers at the top. I'm very glad John didn't spend prime money on mediocre players.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Still plenty early. Draft coming up, good players being released for cap reasons later on. Plenty of work to do. Still expecting it to take a couple years. Much like it did way back when Pete took over. Whoever wrote that has a right to their opinion, even if's still a meh burger. At least TO ME it is.
I know that you and I have had our differences in the past, but your post here ^^is spot on

OP
OP
J

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
These lists are often loaded with bottom dwellers at the top. I'm very glad John didn't spend prime money on mediocre players.
To me it is worse. He signed a bunch of one year prove it type contracts. What that means is IF they pan out and have good years they will want good sized raises and will either eat the cap or move on. There is no foresight of who they think will be good players that they would sign for 2 years or an option year where we had them at a discount after giving them a chance. It feels like maybe we would be the developmental team. I agree on high priced mediocre players but I thought we cleared enough to have a top 5 cap space and ended up with possibilities, question marks, JAGS and projects.

Rat

Reaction score
I wouldn't go as far as saying it's still "early" because teams have all made their significant cuts to get under the cap. Yes, patience pays off, but any glaring holes that a team hasn't addressed by now, there should be some level of urgency if they don't want to be depending on rookies.

Looking at NFL.com's "Top 101 Free Agents of 2024", here's who is still left, listed by overall ranking with age in parentheses:

16. CB Stephon Gilmore (33)
32. EDGE Jadeveon Clowney (31)
35. S Julian Blackmon (26)
37. S Justin Simmons (30)
50. DE Calais Campbell (38)
51. OG/C Connor Williams (27)
55. CB Steven Nelson (31)
58. CB Adoree' Jackson (28 somehow) - feels like he has been around forever
59. QB Ryan Tannell (36)
77. WR Odell Beckham (62 - knees) (31 - rest of body)
80. RB JK Dobbins (25)
81. WR Tyler Boyd (29)
87. S Micah Hyde (33)
88. DT Teair Tart (27)
92. OG Andrus Peat (30)
94. CB Ahkello Witherspoon (29)
95. EDGE Emmanuel Ogbah (30)
98. OT Donovan Smith (31)
100. OG Dalton Risner (29)
101. WR Michael Thomas (Archie Manning was Saints QB when he last played)

Others of note
CB Xavien Howard (30)
WR Josh Reynolds (29)
S Kyle Dugger (28)
EDGE Bud Dupree (31)
OT Chris Hubbard (33)
OG Laken Tomlinson (32)
PK Blair Walsh (Just curious who's still reading)
EDGE Kyle Van Noy (33)
OC Mason Cole (28)
RB Ezekiel Elliot (33)
OT David Bakhtiari (shockingly only 32)
WR Hunter Renfrow (28)
OT Mekhi Becton (25)
CB Tre Herndon (28)
OT Charles Leno (32)
WR Michael Gallup (28)
RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire (25)
OG Mark Glowinski (32)
LB Krys Barnes (26)
DL William Gholston (33)
EDGE Randy Gregory (31)

A little out there still, but not great.

xray

Reaction score
I wouldn't go as far as saying it's still "early" because teams have all made their significant cuts to get under the cap. Yes, patience pays off, but any glaring holes that a team hasn't addressed by now, there should be some level of urgency if they don't want to be depending on rookies.

Looking at NFL.com's "Top 101 Free Agents of 2024", here's who is still left, listed by overall ranking with age in parentheses:

16. CB Stephon Gilmore (33)
32. EDGE Jadeveon Clowney (31)
35. S Julian Blackmon (26)
37. S Justin Simmons (30)
50. DE Calais Campbell (38)
51. OG/C Connor Williams (27)
55. CB Steven Nelson (31)
58. CB Adoree' Jackson (28 somehow) - feels like he has been around forever
59. QB Ryan Tannell (36)
77. WR Odell Beckham (62 - knees) (31 - rest of body)
80. RB JK Dobbins (25)
81. WR Tyler Boyd (29)
87. S Micah Hyde (33)
88. DT Teair Tart (27)
92. OG Andrus Peat (30)
94. CB Ahkello Witherspoon (29)
95. EDGE Emmanuel Ogbah (30)
98. OT Donovan Smith (31)
100. OG Dalton Risner (29)
101. WR Michael Thomas (Archie Manning was Saints QB when he last played)

Others of note
CB Xavien Howard (30)
WR Josh Reynolds (29)
S Kyle Dugger (28)
EDGE Bud Dupree (31)
OT Chris Hubbard (33)
OG Laken Tomlinson (32)
PK Blair Walsh (Just curious who's still reading)
EDGE Kyle Van Noy (33)
OC Mason Cole (28)
RB Ezekiel Elliot (33)
OT David Bakhtiari (shockingly only 32)
WR Hunter Renfrow (28)
OT Mekhi Becton (25)
CB Tre Herndon (28)
OT Charles Leno (32)
WR Michael Gallup (28)
RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire (25)
OG Mark Glowinski (32)
LB Krys Barnes (26)
DL William Gholston (33)
EDGE Randy Gregory (31)

A little out there still, but not great.
^
I see age discrimination , gawdamit ! IMO... Every team should have to sign a minimum number of players over 30 ; with at least 1 over 35 . Just cuz they're old and slow ; doesn't mean they can't cash a check . Give them a chance . ;)

WmHBonney

Reaction score
LOL
Blair Walsh
I was still reading.
What do I win?

BASF

Reaction score
Quandre earned not being on that list with his play last season. Just surprised not to see him at all.

nanomoz

Reaction score
To me it is worse. He signed a bunch of one year prove it type contracts. What that means is IF they pan out and have good years they will want good sized raises and will either eat the cap or move on. There is no foresight of who they think will be good players that they would sign for 2 years or an option year where we had them at a discount after giving them a chance. It feels like maybe we would be the developmental team. I agree on high priced mediocre players but I thought we cleared enough to have a top 5 cap space and ended up with possibilities, question marks, JAGS and projects.
I understand that. But we are building. Some replacements for vets that were signed might be on the roster or drafted this year. This team isn't there yet. If any of these one year deals click, there will also be some space. We will be out from under some big contracts next year and the year after.

I look at this through a 3-year plans lens. And it makes a lot of sense to me.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Sounds about right though. I don't know how its going to work out, but it seems like nothing but a bunch of JAGs have been signed so far.
The great thing is that we aren't overpaying for JAGs and pretending they are all-pros.
This should leave cap room to pick up some actual TALENT later.
Does anyone know if the "ranking" included the signing of Leonard Williams?

toffee

Reaction score
Words of wisdom.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I think the one-year contracts is a shrewd move. Right now, all they have is theory to go off of. None of the players acquired have played under this Seahawk coaching staff. This type of contract works to the advantage of both the player and team. The player has the option to leave after one year if they don't feel it's the right environment and vice versa. One year contracts should be the norm for majority of the free agents. The long term deals should be reserved for draftees (which may need the time to develop) or star type players (in their prime or consistently performing at top level).