NY Times: Wilson, Kaepernick and the media.

drdiags

Reaction score
The low-level rumble you start to hear is how sincere Wilson really is or whether it is rehearsed. His boy scout image is going to start getting backlash as time moves on. It is human nature and his canned answers, though expanding into more depth this year are still there. Now you see the poke at his Tuesday visits to the Children's Hospital.

On the flip-side, Kaep seems to be an extension of his coach and he probably isn't totally wrong for keeping people at arm's length. As the face of the franchise, yeah the public would like to feel more connected to the figure-head but he can let those things grow. As long as he and the team are winning, people will have to put up with him. Look at Bill Belichek. Not the most open guy either, but the success allows him to be the way he is.

In the end, both QBs seemed to have landed in the perfect spot for their careers.

jblaze

Reaction score
Thanks for the link. All very true stuff.

They approach the off field stuff completely differently and might be polar opposites when you look at it. Wilson is a consummate professional who is engaging and charismatic. Always willing to answer the provide a brief insight into the everyday operations of a NFL QB. Kap acts like a spoiled immature emo douchebag who hates the media and wants to make their job difficult just because.

I'm glad Kap is not on my team because it would be very difficult to root for him. I usually just want to punch him in the face honestly.

It will be interesting to see his fall and how quickly his fan base turns on him because there's absolutely nothing to like about him other than his play on the field (occasionally).

hawk45

Reaction score
I don't think there will be much backlash against Wilson at all. Tebow received backlash because he brought it to games with the Tebowing and injecting stuff into interviews. Wilson doesn't bring up his visits with those kids in interviews he just makes the visits. He does tweet them, but those are cool pictures and the kids I bet think they've gone to heaven that they appear on the internet in a picture with him. And I didn't see in the article a poke at Wilson's visits to Children's Hospital. The author described them as "well-chronicled" but I think that was just a straight description without any innuendo.

Canned answers are one thing. Spending personal time with sick kids, having the kid be with him the day of the Saints game, only the most cynical bastard in the world would remotely suggest that is calculated, and that bastard would get instantly shamed and shunned by anyone with a heart.

I'm not at all saying that's what you were suggesting diags, I'm just explaining why I think you're not going to hear very many making that suggestion. They'll say he's bland but that's about it.

Reaction score
lol, the part of the article that references Kaepernick as having a higher "Celebrity DBI" than Wilson, Luck and Cam Newton has me convinced that DBI stands for: "Douche Bag Index"

jblaze

Reaction score
Chrome_Seahawk":p5h8h2f8 said:
lol, the part of the article that references Kaepernick as having a higher "Celebrity DBI" than Wilson, Luck and Cam Newton has me convinced that DBI stands for: "Douche Bag Index"

LOL. Certainly very true.

NINEster

Reaction score
Only on .NET is Kaepernick seen as this universal villain.

Around the league, nobody really hates him. Maybe critical of his performance but that's it.

Wilson is not seen as the world's savior either.

I don't think Niner fans praised Montana or Young's off the field persona as much as Wilson and those two were undeniably classy guys.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
NINEster":1ctjxx1z said:

Around the league, nobody really hates him. Maybe critical of his performance but that's it.

I don't think Niner fans praised Montana or Young's off the field persona as much as Wilson and those two were undeniably classy guys.

Your own forum was trashing everything about Kaepernick three weeks ago. Personality, media presence, on-field performance, everything.

hawk45

Reaction score
NINEster":2x6ieeb8 said:

Kaepernick hasn't done anything to rise to the level of hate-worthy around the league. We think he's a dbag but we're the division rival. In fact I don't know that I'd even stand firm on dbag, he's a kid that's all so what. I reserve the right to completely join in other threads where I pile on any perceived dbaggery though, don't get me wrong.

As far as praise Wilson receives vs. praising Young or Montana, different eras. In that age what did you really hear about your QB other than in an article once in a while?

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
NINEster":2qzxeq6r said:

This is why I'm ticked at the Seahawks for sleepwalking through Sunday's game. They gave these dudes a window back into coming here and making whiny, inaccurate posts about how people view their QB, their team, our team...

seahawks08

Reaction score
none matters, only winning does. Keep on winning baby, we got this one. Go Hawks.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
NINEster you do realize that article ripping Kaep is from the NY times right? It obviously isn't as isolated as you seem to think.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
NINEster":g23vf31c said:

Danny Kelly ‏@FieldGulls 45m
I kid. But again, pretty interesting all this stuff coming out about what a pain in the ass Kap is w/ media there.

Danny Kelly ‏@FieldGulls 48m
that Kaepernick commercial should have featured all the San Fran beat writers pounding on the bus telling him he sucks, not Seahawk fans

Tim Kawakami ‏@timkawakami 1h
Big-time QBs make dealing with the media easier for the rest of the players in locker room. Kaepernick makes it way, way harder. His choice.

But sometimes--in the best times--a QB is a public team leader who can represent the locker room. Kaepernick wants zero part of that.

Obviously fans, coaches, execs and teammates want wins, and don't care if the media likes a QB. Or vice-versa. But...

Don't kid yourself, it's not just .Net. And villian is way too strong a word, more like douche bag.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
He is trying WAY too hard (to the point of desperation) to cultivate the "Bad Boy" persona! I think he watched Michael Jackson's "Beat it" video one too many times.

Best line in that article. "His microphone is where well-intended questions go to die".

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
Speaking as someone who spent a decade working in sports media, my opinion is that Kaepernick's antics go beyond simply annoying and cross over into clear lack of professionalism. As a class, sports writers are super easy to please. You just give 'em a couple quotes and send 'em on their way. Even cliches will work in a pinch, but just the tiniest touch of sincerity goes a long, long way with writers. It's easy and costs *nothing*.

Guys like Kaerpernick and Coach Douche and Belichick take a different tack. They go out of their way to be sh!tty to people who are merely trying to do their jobs. (Jobs that aren't without benefits, mind you, but jobs that aren't as easy as you might think and jobs that by and large don't pay overly well.) And this is just unacceptable, and really, not forgivable since the alternative -- choosing to be a man and not an a$$hole -- is so simple. It's just a matter of courtesy and humanity. Millionaire entertainers who can't sack up, do their jobs properly and treat others like they're actual human beings are beneath contempt.

It's all fun to pile onto the media, but we should keep in mind something when we do it. Most fans cannot attend games. Therefore, without media, there is no game. There's no league and there's no fans. It's all linked together. Big time sports and sports media are really one connected symbiotic entity which relies upon the health of its component parts for its overall happiness.

jblaze

Reaction score
VivaEfrenHerrera":1o895aeg said:
Speaking as someone who spent a decade working in sports media, my opinion is that Kaepernick's antics go beyond simply annoying and cross over into clear lack of professionalism. As a class, sports writers are super easy to please. You just give 'em a couple quotes and send 'em on their way. Even cliches will work in a pinch, but just the tiniest touch of sincerity goes a long, long way with writers. It's easy and costs *nothing*.

Guys like Kaerpernick and Coach Douche and Belichick take a different tack. They go out of their way to be sh!tty to people who are merely trying to do their jobs. (Jobs that aren't without benefits, mind you, but jobs that aren't as easy as you might think and jobs that by and large don't pay overly well.) And this is just unacceptable, and really, not forgivable since the alternative -- choosing to be a man and not an a$$hole -- is so simple. It's just a matter of courtesy and humanity. Millionaire entertainers who can't sack up, do their jobs properly and treat others like they're actual human beings are beneath contempt.

It's all fun to pile onto the media, but we should keep in mind something when we do it. Most fans cannot attend games. Therefore, without media, there is no game. There's no league and there's no fans. It's all linked together. Big time sports and sports media are really one connected symbiotic entity which relies upon the health of its component parts for its overall happiness.

Thanks for the perspective and insight into that facet of our sports culture.

I had assumed it must be pretty difficult and thankless but this gives it a good view to keep in mind. I sometimes notice how annoying the journalists seem to be because they ask all the questions you can't really answer or things that are personal but it's really what people want answered.

drdiags

Reaction score
hawk45":3icgodll said:
I don't think there will be much backlash against Wilson at all. Tebow received backlash because he brought it to games with the Tebowing and injecting stuff into interviews. Wilson doesn't bring up his visits with those kids in interviews he just makes the visits. He does tweet them, but those are cool pictures and the kids I bet think they've gone to heaven that they appear on the internet in a picture with him. And I didn't see in the article a poke at Wilson's visits to Children's Hospital. The author described them as "well-chronicled" but I think that was just a straight description without any innuendo.

Canned answers are one thing. Spending personal time with sick kids, having the kid be with him the day of the Saints game, only the most cynical bastard in the world would remotely suggest that is calculated, and that bastard would get instantly shamed and shunned by anyone with a heart.

I'm not at all saying that's what you were suggesting diags, I'm just explaining why I think you're not going to hear very many making that suggestion. They'll say he's bland but that's about it.

I wasn't suggesting that this was something that was widespread but I caught some quotes coming after the Saints game from a couple talking head types and articles about Wilson that gave me the impression that there are some cynics starting to mumble. I know that he didn't publicize his Tuesday visits until the team started to promote it. He was doing this stuff on his own. I did see that leech Florio wise-cracking about that 6 minute video Wilson and other Christian Seahawks players/coaches created and had posted on .com.

I would just be prepared for folks to try a little harder to tear him down. It is what reporters/columnist/sports media tend to do. We love him but he has his haters. Just not very vocal at this time.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
VivaEfrenHerrera":2jwmj0r4 said:

Never really thought about it from the reporters perspective. Well put.

9ersfaninNY

Reaction score
VivaEfrenHerrera":1eptcdoz said:

I wouldn't take much of what the NEW YORK media says......they act as if it's a right and not a privilege to work for their respective newspapers. I agree that Kaepernick needs to chill out and take a page out of the Manning book, but there's been several NY players that have had issues with the NY media...Joe Girardi, David Wright, Derek Jeter, Randy Johnson just to name a few......there was one instance when Chad Pennington was playing for the Jets that he simply refused an interview because had nothing to say and the NY papers ripped him apart calling him selfish and unprofessional simply because he refused ONE interview.....

Latest posts