No K.J., no problem.

CitrusHawk

Reaction score
Haven't read any news on how the defense handled his absence. Evidently, just another example of "next man up" personnel execution. More than likely, the Giants game wasn't an adequate stress test? Is it possible that even with the normal injury bug throughout the year, we still leave nothing for opposing teams to exploit?

CANHawk

Reaction score
err... wouldn't go quite that far homies. I can't remember where I read it (probably on the twittah) but Eli had something like a 105 QB rating when challenging Malcolm Smith through the air. Not exactly a Byron Maxwell type situation we're talking here guys. Malcolm is excellent depth, but KJ is still mannn.

CANHawk

Reaction score
pmedic920":zue6gzd2 said:
CitrusHawk":zue6gzd2 said:
Guess he's not so special then. K.J. Wright who?

I wasn't implying that. Sorry if I gave that impression.

It's all good brah. I get it; KJ goes down, hawks get shutout, so KJ couldn't have been that important. It seems like simple math, but you need to remember that the Giants are friggen TERRIBLE this year. They're amongst the very worst there is! Against better teams, and teams that have better tight ends than Brandon Meyers and Bear fricken Pasco, KJ's absence will be noticed.

Don't get me wrong. I think Malcolm's fantastic and could probably start on half the teams in the league... but Fat Kobe is definitely the better linebacker.

Yeah, here's the tweet I saw about it...

@30AcreFortress: Also, though MALCOLM generally played pretty well... TA 4, allowed 4 receptions for 34 yards. 102.1 rating against. He ain't KJ.

Original: https://twitter.com/30AcreFortress/stat ... 6834665472

ivotuk

Reaction score
CANHawk":2d2kxzpu said:
pmedic920":2d2kxzpu said:
CitrusHawk":2d2kxzpu said:

It's all good brah. I get it; KJ goes down, hawks get shutout, so KJ couldn't have been that important. It seems like simple math, but you need to remember that the Giants are friggen TERRIBLE this year. They're amongst the very worst there is! Against better teams, and teams that have better tight ends than Brandon Meyers and Bear fricken Pasco, KJ's absence will be noticed.

Don't get me wrong. I think Malcolm's fantastic and could probably start on half the teams in the league... but Fat Kobe is definitely the better linebacker.

@30AcreFortress: Also, though MALCOLM generally played pretty well... TA 4, allowed 4 receptions for 34 yards. 102.1 rating against. He ain't KJ.

That can be misleading though. I doubt 30acre knows what the scheme and responsibilities were and there is no way to make such a comparison with KJ.

CANHawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":sjhenhzw said:
CANHawk":sjhenhzw said:
pmedic920":sjhenhzw said:
CitrusHawk":sjhenhzw said:

That can be misleading though. I doubt 30acre knows what the scheme and responsibilities were and there is no way to make such a comparison with KJ.

I'm pretty sure he's getting the numbers from Football Outsiders or advanced stats or some other really nerdy shit that requires a subscription, so I have to take him at his word (but I bet somebody around here could check his work...). But as I understand it, scheme shouldn't really come into play with that metric. It's just a measure of what the QB's rating is when throwing to a guy that guy is supposed to be covering. I'm led to believe it's a pretty accurate metric. Lots of the statophiles reference it.

Looking at that metric (and that metric's only talking about coverage, he looked good against the run IIRC) Malcolm's guys went 4/4 on receptions. No mater how you slice it, that doesn't sound great. That's playing coverage the Kelly Jennings way; let them make the catch and I'll tackle them right away.

But, 4 throws is a relatively small sample size. I see nothing about Malcolm that makes me concerned in the least. I think we're in great hands with him back there while KJ is nicked up. It's just when KJ gets better, I want KJ back there.

formido

Reaction score
Smith reduces our odds of winning compared to KJ. I remember him looking completely lost on a TD to Houston's TE. He's good at run defense but pass defense wins championships. The Giants awful passing game is one thing. We'll be facing teams like SF and New Orleans in the play-offs. If not for KJ, Graham would have had at least two 20+ yard catches the other Monday night. If not for NOT KJ, Vernon Davis wouldn't have had a TD at SF. We may have already lost a game because of KJ's injury. Heal fast, man.