NFL reviewing Russell Wilson's concussion test

Reaction score
He didn't "randomly" get pulled off the field. Wilson took a big hit and stayed down on the ground for a bit. If he popped right back up, he wouldn't have been sent off to get checked. He was obviously hurting a bit.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
Enjoy your thread all.

I give up. :pukeface:

12thbrah

Reaction score
False news. Russ still had a full test done after they punted. :177692:

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
QuickLightning":2au772t0 said:
He didn't "randomly" get pulled off the field. Wilson took a big hit and stayed down on the ground for a bit. If he popped right back up, he wouldn't have been sent off to get checked. He was obviously hurting a bit.
Just watched it again. He didn't get up any slower than any other player after being hit. That said, it was a nasty hit. It looked bad in slow mo and regular speed. Really don't think the refs did anything wrong here. If someone wants to argue about the protocol itself that is a different issue.

Far as I'm concerned if a player has to go out for a concussion protocol and if the player that caused the said protocol was penalized for it,,, that player should be kicked out of the game until the concussed player comes back.

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":1x7escxz said:
Far as I'm concerned if a player has to go out for a concussion protocol and if the player that caused the said protocol was penalized for it,,, that player should be kicked out of the game until the concussed player comes back.

If that was true, Kam would barely play a quarter in some games...

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Seymour":38eg5cau said:
Sounds like we "could lose draft picks" over this?

Sounds ridiculous....he was hit in the chin not the head. :roll:
According to the joint policy developed by the NFL and NFL Players Association, if the concussion protocol is found to not be properly followed, the team is subject to fines and a potential loss of draft picks.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000874976/article/nfl-reviewing-russell-wilsons-concussion-test
Unless you are the Patriots and the QB is Tom Brady.

253hawk

Reaction score
QuickLightning":n3ad2x8u said:

He always stays down on the ground for a bit, even after he slides and is barely touched down (unless they are trying to run the hurry-up or something). Prevents players from falling on top of or stepping on him.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
QuickLightning":f9otu0ha said:

You're right, it wasn't random.

It just wasn't for the reason you're describing.

Exittium

Reaction score
Meanwhile Stanton’s ass repeatedly slow to get up never had to do shit. And YOU KNOW and could see plays he was visually shaken up

renofox

Reaction score
I've watched a lot of games this year and last year, and this is the first time I've seen a QB forced out of the game merely for concussion protocol, including dozens and dozens of harder hits with the QB getting up much slower than RW did. Amazing how so many extremely rare occurrences happen to the Seahawks. Just coincidence, I'm sure.

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
Did these test happen in SB 49?????
Oh, just tested US in that game, not New England?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":amdbah0k said:
naholmes":amdbah0k said:
It was a bit of a joke. I mean if they are going to make him come out of the game and go to the tent then perform a proper exam while he is in there. Did anybody time how many seconds was he in the tent?

There is no doubt he wasn't tested completely in that short time. The question is, did THAT shot to the chin really require this because that happens often in the course of a game.
Exactly ^, If they REALLY want to protect Quarterbacks like they claim, they would opt to test for concussions, & owies after EVERY SACK, and, Boxers would need to be tested after every single round of a fight.

cymatica

Reaction score
renofox":2mu4fhkj said:
I've watched a lot of games this year and last year, and this is the first time I've seen a QB forced out of the game merely for concussion protocol, including dozens and dozens of harder hits with the QB getting up much slower than RW did. Amazing how so many extremely rare occurrences happen to the Seahawks. Just coincidence, I'm sure.

:ditto:

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Two of the most devastating punches in boxing and mma are the right cross and the uppercut. Current concussion theory suggests that rotational acceleration is one of the most significant contributors to concussive symptoms. If this is correct, one can understand why these types of blows to the jaw are so likely to cause a concussion.

Russ got absolutley popped on the chin on that blow from the crown of the defender’s helmet, and he absolutely should have been evaluated for a concussion. That kind of blow is the football equivalent of the uppercut, and is quite literally the most likely blow in football to cause a concussion. We can argue about how the protocol isn’t enforced uniformly, but Wilson absolutely belonged in the protocol based solely on the hit he took.

As soon as I saw the hit I said, hope he’s only held out for one play. The team broke the rules by not performing a proper evaluation, and I don’t expect the league to give us any leeway. I don’t blame Russ for insisting on getting back out here. I’m sure he knew that other players, like Sherman, were playing through injuries, but the team really screwed up here by letting him back on the field. They should know we aren’t getting any slack, and made sure hat he fully participated in the protocol.

In boxing, and to some degree MMA, the entire point is to either score points or give your opponent a masssive concussion, so the arguments about not pulling boxers after sustaining punches to the chin are ridiculous. Further, we are talking punches, with the momentum of a fist and arm (or leg and foot in kickboxing and MMA) compared to the momentum of the entire body of the NFL opponent hitting you in the chin.

That was a hit with a high probability of causing concussion, and Russ belonged in the concussion protocol.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
I think what you're saying makes sense bigskydoc.

But in a game that obviously wasn't being played on a level field, that it appeared to be a double standard on the way plays were being enforced, we all have to question why RW was pulled by a ref when a QB is rarely ever kicked off the field for a concussion protocol.

So yea I agree with you bigskydoc, I just would like to see this enforced evenly.

Seafan

Reaction score
You can get concussed without a hit to the head. 49er Vernon Davis suffered a serious concussion from Kam's hit and he didn't get hit in the head and his head didn't hit the ground. It's the brain hitting the skull. (Infants who are shaken suffer from this) No helmet in the world can stop this. Helmets can only help prevent skull injuries not brain injuries.

JimmyG

Reaction score
bigskydoc":v5te51yu said:
Two of the most devastating punches in boxing and mma are the right cross and the uppercut. Current concussion theory suggests that rotational acceleration is one of the most significant contributors to concussive symptoms. If this is correct, one can understand why these types of blows to the jaw are so likely to cause a concussion.

Russ got absolutley popped on the chin on that blow from the crown of the defender’s helmet, and he absolutely should have been evaluated for a concussion. That kind of blow is the football equivalent of the uppercut, and is quite literally the most likely blow in football to cause a concussion. We can argue about how the protocol isn’t enforced uniformly, but Wilson absolutely belonged in the protocol based solely on the hit he took.

As soon as I saw the hit I said, hope he’s only held out for one play. The team broke the rules by not performing a proper evaluation, and I don’t expect the league to give us any leeway. I don’t blame Russ for insisting on getting back out here. I’m sure he knew that other players, like Sherman, were playing through injuries, but the team really screwed up here by letting him back on the field. They should know we aren’t getting any slack, and made sure hat he fully participated in the protocol.

In boxing, and to some degree MMA, the entire point is to either score points or give your opponent a masssive concussion, so the arguments about not pulling boxers after sustaining punches to the chin are ridiculous. Further, we are talking punches, with the momentum of a fist and arm (or leg and foot in kickboxing and MMA) compared to the momentum of the entire body of the NFL opponent hitting you in the chin.

That was a hit with a high probability of causing concussion, and Russ belonged in the concussion protocol.
Great post, I agree with everything here.

I would not be surprised for the league to come down hard on Wilson/the organization here. I think they will "make an example" of Wilson. If they come off lightly here, it runs the risk of a lot of "copy cat", self-diagnosing, "no, really, I'm fine" situations.

I mean, the entire point of the concussion protocol is to have unbiased sources (the refs -- insert lazy joke about the refs hating us here --, independent team doctors, etc). Whether Wilson thought he was fine or not is irrelevant, his competitive fire leads to a huge conflict of interest.

I do not blame Wilson at all -- I admire that drive and enthusiasm -- but the coaches not doing a better job of stopping him from going back out there is not a good look. It just comes off as undisciplined.