New Safety

Polk738

Reaction score
Somehow I don't know if Johnathon Abram is an upgrade to Josh Jones but I hope I'm wrong

nanomoz

Reaction score
I find this kind of exciting. Abram is a total head hunter, linebacker/safety hybrid. Or, he was in college. IIRC, a few sharp people on these boards wanted him in the draft.

Hawkspeed

Reaction score
He is a hard hitter against the run but may have poor coverage skills. Maybe he was a locker-room problem as well. If so, he is in the perfect place to turn it around with Pete's coaching and the positive culture here.
This "Raiders Films" link discusses some reasons he was released. Start it at the 1:00 mark.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
When the Raiders got rid i hoped we'd be in for him but the now the Packers have cast him asunder it makes me wonder how bad things might be. Would be a hell of a reclamation project.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
If anyone can fix him Pete can. He looked explosive at times for the Raiders in tackling but cant cover very well.

sutz

Reaction score
Hmmm, some young players can't handle playing on a losing team. Rookies almost all come from top of the line college programs with winning records and traditions. A losing NFL season lasts twice as long as a losing college season. Maybe moving in here will help turn him around into a guy with a winning attitude again.

Now, we're on the hairy edge of being a "winning" team this year, but the coaching staff and FO have built a tradition of winning over the years, with only the last couple of years lagging. The fact they're bringing this guy in shows they're still pursuing that goal.

Nv_Hawks

Reaction score
I watched film on him from 2020 and he’s definitely Adams light. Quick to the ball and loves contact. If they say weak in passing defense, so is Adams.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
That's some very mixed film. Coverage aside, some of those run fits were scarily undisciplined. Yet he can make impact plays...
Packers only had him for about three weeks; hard to read what that says.
Could fit a dimebacker role, provided he plays within the system.
What a tremendous reclaim it would be if Pete can make it work.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Somehow I don't know if Johnathon Abram is an upgrade to Josh Jones but I hope I'm wrong

Josh Jones can't cover or hit, at least Abrams can hit.

There's your difference. So I'd expect to see Abrams in 1st down run situations, or short yardage/goal line.

But that's the knock on Abrams, can't cover and gets lost in routes, kind of the same story we saw with Blair.

m0ng0

Reaction score
I would like to see us use him like Adams, rush the passer, create havoc and just be around the ball.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The concept of reclamation is the right way to think of this player who was widely regarded as having abilities and appropriate measurables to play pro ball at SS. He might just be that diamond in rough or a steal from the castoff pile, or not.

To me it's worth a shot for the remainder of his contract for the season and nothing guaranteed.

chrispy

Reaction score
Whatever it was that caused the Packers to cut him loose should be a minor detail. JS has enough connections there that he surely got the real story and still pulled the trigger. If he thinks there's upside considering the recent cuts, he probably has a lot more inside info than anyone here.

...but that tape was pretty bad.... He may not see the field in Seattle for a while.

chris98251

Reaction score
If it's technique he is in the right spot, Pete and crew can coach up most players with god given talent if they can keep an open mind. Also have Kam around to work with him if necessary on the side. Can't lose really if he develops and gets his head on straight it could be another steal.

ZornLargentPatera

Reaction score
He is a hard hitter against the run but may have poor coverage skills. Maybe he was a locker-room problem as well. If so, he is in the perfect place to turn it around with Pete's coaching and the positive culture here.
This "Raiders Films" link discusses some reasons he was released. Start it at the 1:00 mark.

That is a well-done video. Looks like no one should be particularly surprised if he makes some big mistakes at times.