New Old Topic from MSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

AVL

Reaction score
Remember, you're talking about football contracts, where early numbers don't mean a whole lot.

I think the real offer comes last minute, like Pollian predicted months ago.

grizbob

Reaction score
Yeah, we needed another Wilson contract thread to fill this hole in my head :cry:

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
First off it's Profootball talk. Second, the Hawks are an extremely tight lipped organization. Third, like was said before, the numbers don't mean much on the surface. "nearly 21 million" per year doesn't really mean much, it's more how the contract is structured and how much is truly guaranteed.

So this is one big whatever from me.

This deal will get done before Friday I'd be willing to bet

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":12deavyu said:

One thing is for sure. If Wilson continues to reject these offers, the negativity toward him will increase, which would be unfortunate.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3pthjj0f said:
Hawkfan77":3pthjj0f said:

One thing is for sure. If Wilson continues to reject these offers, the negativity toward him will increase, which would be unfortunate.
Negativity from who? The fans?

northseahawk

Reaction score
Does not deserve 21 million… Just a greedy midget. Keep the core intact and plug in another qb. We should still be able to win many games.

HawkCop

Reaction score
northseahawk":31tm1pc0 said:
Does not deserve 21 million… Just a greedy midget. Keep the core intact and plug in another qb. We should still be able to win many games.

Wow! A little harsh aren't you? Do you believe everything you hear from the media?

Seafan

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":37cg9xmn said:
First off it's Profootball talk. Second, the Hawks are an extremely tight lipped organization. Third, like was said before, the numbers don't mean much on the surface. "nearly 21 million" per year doesn't really mean much, it's more how the contract is structured and how much is truly guaranteed.

So this is one big whatever from me.

It doesn't matter. The Hawks have 36 months to get this done. If it happens by Friday, great.

Narniaman

Reaction score
Hmmm. . . .

I have my doubts that the Seahawks have offered him a reasonable contract anywhere near $21 million dollars a year. . . .I think they are trying to get him for the absolute lowest money amount they can, because they feel they have all the leverage. Now I don't doubt that perhaps someone in the Seahawks organization slipped that number to some friendly sports writer, but that doesn't mean the information is anywhere near to being correct.

For instance. . .suppose that indeed the Seahawks did indeed offer him $21 million a year for the next five years.

Quite a deal, right? Well, what if the deal is contingent upon

1) the Seahawks winning the Superbowl each year,

2) Russell throwing for at least 5000 yards a year, and

3) Russell not having any more than five interceptions a year.

And if all those conditions are not met. . . . his salary reverts the league veteran minimum average, which for 2015 would be $745,000. Would that indeed be a "$21 million dollar a year" salary? Well, technically I suppose. . . .although for all practical purposes there is a very good chance that not once in the five years covered by the contract would Russell make more than the veteran minimum.

Now do I think the Seahawks are offering him such a performance based contract?

Why shouldn't they. . . . or at least offer him something like Colin Kaepernick signed? I'm quite sure they saw how the 49ers were able to jack Colin Kaepernick around. You remember that just a year ago or so Kaepernick signed a "7 year, $126 million dollar contract." It turns out the contract was contingent upon certain performance by Kaepernick. . . and in fact, would better be described as a "7 year, $25.9 million dollar contract. . . with performance escalators". Quoting from Business Insider. . .

Starting next season, Kaepernick's salary goes down $2 million each year if he is not named first- or second-team All-Pro, or if the 49ers don't play in the Super Bowl the previous season with 80% of the snaps taken by Kaepernick, according to Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk.com.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/colin-ka ... z3gxM7r4US

So did Kaepernick get a $18 million dollar a year contract (as was publicized). . . or a $3.5 million dollar a year contract?

Why wouldn't the Seahawks try something like this with Russell Wilson and his agent? This coming year there are 17 NFL quarterbacks who are making at least 10 times what Russell is making; another 18 quarterbacks have salaries between two and eight times as much as Russell's pay this year. The Seahawks have 36 players with average salaries higher than Russell's.

By everything that is right, they should have set down with Russell and said something like. . . "Russell, since you have played so incredibly well your first three years in the NFL. . . probably better than any quarterback ever has in their first three years. . . we want to tear up your rookie contract for your final year, and pay you this year consummate with your excellent talent. Once we do that. . . then we want to sign you to a new contract for after this year."

Instead, the Seahawks approach has been. . . "we've got you for near minimum wage this next year. . . if you don't like it, take a hike."

So, no, I don't think the Seahawks have offered him a $21 million dollar contract with reasonable terms. . .

253hawk

Reaction score
grizbob":195io2m7 said:
Yeah, we needed another Wilson contract thread to fill this hole in my head :cry:

There hasn't been a dead horse beaten this badly since XLVIII.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
253hawk":2fzz7kaf said:
grizbob":2fzz7kaf said:

There hasn't been a dead horse beaten this badly since XLVIII.
I see what you did there! Well played sir, well played! :th2thumbs:

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
northseahawk":27t06q5l said:
Unbelievable...at least it should be but Seattle fans aren't the brightest so this type of ridiculousness is expected

RynoHawk

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":3ggdbmti said:
northseahawk":3ggdbmti said:
Unbelievable...at least it should be but Seattle fans aren't the brightest so this type of ridiculousness is expected

says the man with Snookie as a avatar....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts